Computer Related > Antivirus sweep Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 4

Antivirus sweep - L'escargot
My Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper recommends a full sweep/scan weekly. What will this do that the routine function of the programme won't?
 Antivirus sweep - smokie
Yes, I'm with you on this one. If your virus checker and firewall is always active and checking everything in and out of your computer, what's the point of an additional scan? I don't do them, but would be interested why they might be necessary.

The only thing I can think is that some nasties try (sometimes successfully) to disable your virus software, and if you don't notice then a weekly check would catch them (assuming you notice that the weekly check has run, and you check the logs etc)

Last edited by: smokie on Thu 6 May 10 at 09:44
 Antivirus sweep - Zero
Welllllllll

An AV applications will do a full scan on on install, and then check everything in and out.

However some stuff can sneak in through various ways so a scan is not an undesriable thing. It can be done in two ways, a quick scan (scan system files and executables or files changed since the last scan) or a full scan (scan every file - takes a loooooooooong time)

As long as its unobtrusive background stuff, utilising pauses in system activity, then its not a problem.

Antivirus sweep - L'escargot
>> ........... or a full scan (scan every
>> file - takes a loooooooooong time)

Mine takes 40 to 50 minutes and I run it when I don't need to be sat at my computer.
 Antivirus sweep - Roger.
I use Avast! 5, and it has a screen saver option built in. When the screensaver kicks in at your chosen idle interval, the program runs a system scan. When you activate your PC again , it stops.
Easy-Peasy!
Last edited by: landsker on Sun 16 May 10 at 09:13
Latest Forum Posts