Computer Related > Dongle advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 11

Dongle advice - BobbyG
B-I-L and family come back every summer from Abu Dhabi as it is too hot for the kids during the 3 summer months.
Have their own house here.

Looking to have internet conection for this 3 months. I am guessing a PAYG dongle is the answer, maybe the only answer for this length of time?

When we lived in rented accomodation we had a Three Dingle and it was awful but that was 4 years ago.

Anyone care to recommend a good dongle? Would these have the capability to run Skype?

Dongle advice - Manatee
Where's he going to be? Check the local networks.

I've an O2 dongle but it was was useless more often than not. I now have a 3 mifi (Huawei E585) which is much better. I can put it high up or near a window when the signal is weak. We use it when we are away and its usually OK (though not west of Hereford last week where only Vodaphone seems to work even for voice calls).

Mifi's thw way to go. You can but 1GB /1 month SIMS for about £4 on Amazon.

And yes it will run Skype, usually. SOmetimes have to turn the video off, but I do that at home.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 21:53
 Dongle advice - Zero
I have a Vodaphone dongle. Its utter garbage most of the time.

I can turn the iPhone into a personal wifi hotspot, and as above you can position it for best signal. Much better prospect to "tether" your phone like this.
 Dongle advice - BobbyG
Pretty sure when they come back they just use a cheap Tesco PAYG phone so won't have internet phone tethering etc
 Dongle advice - MD
>> I have a Vodaphone dongle. Its utter garbage most of the time.
>>
>>
>> I can turn the iPhone into a personal wifi hotspot, and as above you can
>> position it for best signal. Much better prospect to "tether" your phone like this.
>>
At what cost??
 Dongle advice - Zero

>> At what cost??

About the same as a PAYG card in a dongle.
 Dongle advice - VxFan
>> Mifi's the way to go. You can but 1GB /1 month SIMS for about £4 on Amazon.

Where I work there is no 3G network on Tesco mobile. I use a Huawei E585 on the Three network (who have excellent coverage at work) and buy a 3GB/3month SIM from Amazon for approx £11.
 Dongle advice - rtj70
>> Tesco mobile

Actually an O2 based MVNO.
 Dongle advice - Arctophile
" I am guessing a PAYG dongle is the answer, maybe the only answer for this length of time? "

There are a number of conventional ISPs that offer contracts with one month notice. Assuming that a landline is still available.

Dongle advice - Falkirk Bairn
>>Have their own house here.

If they have friendly neighbours why not ask to use their BB Connection.

If my BB goes down I connect to a neighbour's router, with his permission until my service comes back - 3 days due to a cable fault and frozen Christmas landscape 2 winters back.
 Dongle advice - VxFan
>> >> Tesco mobile
>> Actually an O2 based MVNO.

Yep, aware of that.
 Dongle advice - movilogo
Most smartphones can be converted to WiFi hotspots. Then you can add a generous data allowance on a rolling monthly contract basis.

Latest Forum Posts