Computer Related > New laptop recommendation Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 14

New laptop recommendation - FocalPoint
Sorry to run this yet again, but the scene keeps changing and I'm wondering what you expert guys might say.

Requirements: Laptop. Not Apple. Wi-fi. Must have camera/mike for Skype. Good big screen. Good for music & playing DVDs. As portable as is consistent with everything else. No other special requirements.
 New laptop recommendation - Dog
How much you wanna spend guvnor?
Not sure, but enough to get something decent. Not looking for "bargain-basement" prices, nor extreme top-end. Somewhere in the middle!
 New laptop recommendation - Zero
Ok I'll say it again.

lenovo and intel. Three bought at Christmas by family and friends at my recomondation - all delighted.

The current lenovo G series is, in my opinion untouchable for quality and price at the moment.

www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G570-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B005TPRWN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333199302&sr=8-2

Lenovo support is as good as it gets, and its not pre loaded with crap but useful tools.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 31 Mar 12 at 14:10
 New laptop recommendation - spamcan61
The Lenovo Z570 I had for xmas is certainly a nice machine, aluminium top panel makes it feel much more solid than a normal all plastic laptop. Came pre loaded with crud ;-).

In terms of the OP's requirements then portability is a consideration, 17" screens are nicer for DVD viewing but you end up carting a big ol' lump of plastic around.

New laptop recommendation - devonite
Dabs outlet have an offer on quite a useful looking Fujitsu at the moment!

stores.ebay.co.uk/dabs-outlet/Laptops-/_i.html?_fsub=2491221013
 New laptop recommendation - Zero
Wouldnt be my choice, its a pretty naff intel cpu. "I" is the magic latter.
I3, I5, I7.

really nice power efficient cpu's, the best intel have ever produced.
 New laptop recommendation - Dog
We bought a Lenovo Z370 just before Xmas and its a blinder, wife uses it as she is a DiM reader (like moi)

Its a 13.3" jobbie with good sound (for a notebook) I bought a wireless mouse to use with it = excellent!
 New laptop recommendation - Stuartli
Second Zero with Lenovo. Got a B560 last August from Dabs (i5, 15.6in) down from £500 plus to £430 and it's an excellent machine.

Asked for a recommendation for a laptop last month and discovered Dabs had the follow up B570 on offer at the same price, but with an extra £10 off with a voucher code. The friend who asked for a recommendation ordered it immediately - just as well as Dabs sold out very quickly.

You'd be hard pushed to get a similarly featured i3 laptop at that price...:-))

New laptop recommendation - zippy
What Zero said about Lenovo....

It is true. They used to make the IBM laptops and the current models are based on the same principles. They are well put together with bright screens. Go for a reasonably high resolution screen. It is better on the eyes.

Also, an important upgrade that many people overlook is a back lit keyboard - do Lenovo do these? I don't have it on my current model but there is a dim lamp next to the web cam. It really helps when typing in the dark.

One thing about my Lenovo is that the fn key is on the outside of the crtl key. I am used to it being the other way around. A small niggle but it seems to catch me out several times a day.

Last edited by: zippy on Sun 1 Apr 12 at 13:56
>>Also, an important upgrade that many people overlook is a back lit keyboard - do Lenovo do these? I don't have it on my current model but there is a dim lamp next to the web cam. It really helps when typing in the dark. >>

You can buy a small USB lamp for this purpose for a very small outlay...:-) tinyurl.com/cd6wmba (there are cheaper ones)

Why though would anyone want to type in the dark? I can touch type so would probably not be too bothered, but it seems a rather strange activity...:-)) In any case the screen would light up the keyboard which, as a touch typist, I find excellent both to use and in tactile feel.
Sorry about the delay in getting back on this.

My thanks to all those who have advised. Point taken about the Lenovo brand and about the i-series processors.

SWMBO (for whom the machine is intended) and I will confer and make our minds up - probably after we get back from Poland!
 New laptop recommendation - TeeCee
>> One thing about my Lenovo is that the fn key is on the outside of
>> the crtl key. I am used to it being the other way around. A small
>> niggle but it seems to catch me out several times a day.
>>

Many people have complained about that, which is why all Lenovo models allow you to swap 'em round in the BIOS settings....:-)

Should probably add to that that I aquired a Core2 Celeron based Lenovo laptop over a year ago. Excellent machine, bulletproof build quality, punches well over its weight for performance and the best laptop keyboard I have ever used. Only minor gripe is that this model's keyboard lacks a numeric keypad, despite having plenty of space for one.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Mon 2 Apr 12 at 15:55
 New laptop recommendation - zippy
-->which is why all Lenovo models allow you to swap 'em round in the BIOS settings....:-)

Many thanks - saves a real lot of bother!
>>Second Zero with Lenovo. Got a B560 last August from Dabs (i5, 15.6in) down from £500 plus to £430 and it's an excellent machine.>>

The friend has come back stating they are so pleased with the Lenovo laptop they now want a desktop from the brand as well. This is a new one on me, but discovered a little earlier that they do, in fact, have a range of desktops...:-)

Dabs, amongst others, it seems carry them: www.dabs.com/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,desktop-pcs/11101-50600
Latest Forum Posts