Computer Related > hdd caddy`s Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 9

hdd caddy`s - devonite
Friend (builder) has just totalled his laptop, backed the van over it! (dont ask!) however, all his last months accounts are on it,which he was due to back up last week but never got around to it! Luckily, the hard drive side of the lappy is undamaged, so I was thinking of getting one of those caddy things off Ebay, inserting his HDD, and downloading his files from the lappy to usb stick via my desktop computer.
Not having any knowledge of these caddy-things, is it as straight forward as that?

cheers folks!

P.S
this thing to be precise!!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270485016180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 25 Mar 12 at 17:09
 hdd caddy`s - Zero
yes that should be fine as long as it has the required internal disk connectors to cover all types, Most of those things do,

I assume his old machine has windows xp/vista/7? I assume his stuff is in /users/name/documents? you will need his password.
 hdd caddy`s - spamcan61
That's a SATA caddy, so should be OK with most laptops less than about 5 years old. To be sure check the laptop manual or get a multistandard one.
 hdd caddy`s - devonite
thanks chaps!

yep! its Vista and a sata, so it looks like i`ll give it a try! = didnt think it would be that simple really! makes a change. ;-)

cheers!
 hdd caddy`s - R.P.
I got one to back up my clunky Gateway - got it from Maplin's - worked like a dream.
 hdd caddy`s - devonite
Caddy came today, slipped HDD in, plugged into my D/top, downloaded all his files, all in less than 20 mins!!

Aluminiun casing, leather carry pouch, triple ended usb connection lead and all electrical gubbins inc a screwdriver! and free postage! - how do they do it for £2.95?? ;-)
 hdd caddy`s - spamcan61
That is blinking cheap for a UK source, I paid about the same for a couple from China not so long ago.

Personally I'm saving my pennies for one of these fancy ones with IDE - SATA HDD one touch copying etc.

tinyurl.com/d9pzugr
 hdd caddy`s - devonite
I think i`m going to get one too!! - they look to be the "jobby"!!
 hdd caddy`s - Zero
Yeah I bought one to connect to my Linux fix all utility machine,
 hdd caddy`s - Robbie34
>> That is blinking cheap for a UK source, I paid about the same for a
>> couple from China not so long ago.
>>
>> Personally I'm saving my pennies for one of these fancy ones with IDE - SATA
>> HDD one touch copying etc.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/d9pzugr

You can get this cheaper from Dabs.com tinyurl.com/d4al5vm
Latest Forum Posts