Non-motoring > Cheap or expensive sanding discs? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 6

Cheap or expensive sanding discs? - Dave
I'm using a small orbital sander to do the floor before I oil it. I've been using a bulk pack of cheapy discs, but they only seem to last about 5 mins, even though it's only soft pine.

So are the 4 x more expensive branded pads actually worth the money?
 Cheap or expensive sanding discs? - Bagpuss
Generally, good quality sanding discs are miles better than the cheapo ones - especially the professional ones - 3M or Hermes products for example. They'll last longer and keep a more consistent grain. Make sure you are using the right discs for soft wood though.
What's the right discs for softwood? They all look the same to me.
 Cheap or expensive sanding discs? - Zero
>> I'm using a small orbital sander to do the floor before I oil it.

Please, tell me you are not using circular sanding disk on floorboards? Belt sander on floorboards please!
 Cheap or expensive sanding discs? - L'escargot
That's the way to do it. tinyurl.com/7grmlnu
 Cheap or expensive sanding discs? - Bagpuss
I was told, paper (rather than fabric) based discs with a grit of 120 or finer, otherwise you run the risk of creating deep grooves in the pine. Also to use discs with holes so you can connect a cleaner to the sander to prevent the disc clogging up with sawdust too quickly.
Ha, I'm only giving it a quick sand on the rough areas/old paint drops/joints with the new boards. It's way too wonky to try and get it all sanded flat and even.

But I bought some expensive pads, and tbh they don't seem to last any longer than the cheapy bulk pack. They did cost about 5 times as much though.
Latest Forum Posts