Non-motoring > Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 30

Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - VxFan
A popular pub and music venue called The Hobbit has been threatened with legal action by US movie lawyers.

The Southampton pub has been accused of copyright infringement by lawyers representing the Saul Zaentz Company (SZC) in California.

The company owns the worldwide rights to several brands associated with author JRR Tolkien, including The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings.

Landlady Stella Mary Roberts said: "I can't fight Hollywood."

The pub in Portswood, which is popular with students, has traded with the name for more than 20 years.

It features characters from Tolkien's stories on its signs, has "Frodo" and "Gandalf" cocktails on the menu, and the face of Lord of the Rings film star Elijah Wood on its loyalty card.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17350103

I've no connection with the pub whatsoever, but I for one hope that David beats Goliath.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Manatee
I know of at least one other Hobbit Inn that has been going for 30 years or so.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Meldrew
A cafe owned by a lady called McDonald and trading as McDonalds got one over the Golden Arch lawyers so good luck to the Hobbit. It is a Punch tavern and their legal team are assisting the owner.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - MD
>> A cafe owned by a lady called McDonald and trading as McDonalds got one over
>> the Golden Arch lawyers so good luck to the Hobbit. It is a Punch tavern
>> and their legal team are assisting the owner.
>>
I thought it was a Free House or am I mistaken?
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - CGNorwich
Pubs should be called things like the King's Head or the Red Lion not daft names like the Hobbit. I'm rooting for Hollywood.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 13 Mar 12 at 22:41
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Zero
Yeah, its not a proper pub name, you can't just steal names from a book.

Pity hollywood didn't own "slug & Lettuce" as well - would like to see that name banned.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - R.P.
Don't tell them about the excellent Hobbit Restaurant in Brugge....!
But do you drink stupidly named beers like Tanglefoot and Bishop's Finger? In the long run it is the quality of the pub and its beer that matter - not what they are called!
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Falkirk Bairn
The London olympic Committee lost when they took Little Chef to court over their "Olympic Breakfast" about 12 mths ago. Little Chef had used the term for 30-40 years.
LOCOG probably could not organise a party in a strangely named brewery and are struggling with organising the Games. I am glad they lost their heavy-handed foray against Little Chef
McDonald's (UK)

McDonald's filed a lawsuit against McDonald's Family Restaurant, located in Grand Cayman. McDonald's lost the case, and in addition, was banned from ever opening a McDonald's location on Grand Cayman. This ruling still stands today.

Found this one on Wiki..!
Good! As you know RP the law is not an ass, all of the time!
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Cliff Pope
According to Wiki Tolkien didn't invent the word hobbit, just changed its meaning.

They need to get Graucho Marx on the case, cf "Cassablanca".
>> run it is the quality of the pub and its beer that matter - not
>> what they are called!

And a stupid and unusual name is usually required to attract people to what is otherwise a rubbish pub.

It was never called the "Hobbit" pub in the first place.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Mar 12 at 08:46
Stupid pub names?

You mean ones like the "Hart of Harwell" (formerly called "The White Hart")
>> Stupid pub names?
>>
>> You mean ones like the "Hart of Harwell" (formerly called "The White Hart")

At least they kept some link to its identity and history

There is one pub in Southall i used to go to, the "Iron Bridge" at Southall, lunchtimes was strippers full hairy a rse builders and second rate meat pies.

Its now called McDonalds. What kind of name is that for a pub, cant even buy a beer or pie there.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - CGNorwich
"But do you drink stupidly named beers like Tanglefoot and Bishop's Finger? In the long run it is the quality of the pub and its beer that matter - not what they are called!"

If you create a new beer you can call it what you like. If you build a new pub you can call it what you like. But when a pub has had a name for decades or even centuries and some jumped up oik in a marketing company decides it needs "re-branding" and decides to call your local the "Rat and Vulture' or similar then it makes me mad.

Philistines!
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - TeeCee
Works the other way too. There's one I saw in Brixton with that fine old pub name; "The Enterprise".
The sign outside had the usual sailing ship on one side and a well-known starship on the other.....
I hope the sailing ship was carrying the stars and stripes

Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Clk Sec
A pub not far from me has had its name changed three times in the last thirty years. It generates a bit of publicity, but little more than that.

Utter nonsense in my opinion.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - henry k
Stephen Fry backs Hobbit pub in Southampton over legal action
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17366992
The Bullywood lawyers were at it back in November with a Cafe called The Hungry Hobbit in Birmingham too.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15825960
America has a particular brand of legal imperialism that is particularly distasteful. The mighty $ is king (80% owned by the Arabs and Chinese of course)
>> America has a particular brand of legal imperialism that is particularly distasteful. The mighty $
>> is king (80% owned by the Arabs and Chinese of course)

I agree, but there is also something distasteful about the modern trend for "novelty pub naming"
You're right Z. There was a piece in a local paper about a pub bought and refurbished by Marstons (of all people) and they've changed the name of the Crown in Llay, near Wrexham to the"Dormouse" the Crown's history goes back to the days of the civil war and represents the Royalist links the area had. What price history ?
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Fursty Ferret
>> But do you drink stupidly named beers like Tanglefoot and Bishop's Finger? In the long
>> run it is the quality of the pub and its beer that matter - not
>> what they are called!
>>

And Fursty Ferret, of course.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - DeeW
Panic (if any) over - the Americans have withdrawn their action due to the internet campaign.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17390623

link edited in
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 00:31
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Duncan
>> Panic (if any) over - the Americans have withdrawn their action.......

Possibly not.

The pub must acknowledge that it was infringing the Hobbit patents and pay a licence fee of around $100 a year.

A very hollow victory, I would call that!
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - MD
Tell 'em to get stuffed.
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Focusless
>> A very hollow victory, I would call that!

If I was the landlord I think I would be pretty happy with that. They probably would accept that they are only using the name because it was made famous by someone else's hard work, and to end up only paying what is effectively a nominal sum for it must be a good result.

EDIT: not saying that I think the Americans were right to take that action
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 16 Mar 12 at 09:27
 Hollywood Lawyers Threaten 'Hobbit' Pub - Harleyman

>> The pub must acknowledge that it was infringing the Hobbit patents and pay a licence
>> fee of around $100 a year.
>>
>> A very hollow victory, I would call that!
>>

I'd call it the best value for money advertising you could possibly get!
Latest Forum Posts