Non-motoring > A sad day. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 25

A sad day. - Roger.
Six British troops killed in Afghanistan - news just released. :-(
 A sad day. - John H
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
They were English. RIP.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 7 Mar 12 at 12:27
 A sad day. - Pat
Well, the others may well give you a scowling face and say nothing JohnH, but I can't do that.

You may well be correct in what you say, but there is most definitely a time and a place to say it....

I would have expected you to understand that today is neither the time or a forum thread, the place.

Shame on you.

Pat
 A sad day. - John H
In case you missed it, it is to serve as a reminder to the OP - who says in another thread about British people:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9861&m=219954&v=e

A sad day. - Iffy
...They were English...

Are we sure about that?

There's usually a few Jocks in any group of squaddies.

There might even be a couple of scousers.

Not sure what they count as.

A sad day. - R.P.
And don't forget many squaddies come form commonwealth countries.
 A sad day. - Iffy
...And don't forget many squaddies come form commonwealth countries...

And principalities. :)

A sad day. - John H
Therefore why the need to mention "British" in the first post?

It is a sad day when 6 people are executed, whichever country they may have originated from.

A sad day. - Old Navy
>> Therefore why the need to mention "British" in the first post?
>>

To differentiate from the other nationalities operating in Afghanistan.
 A sad day. - John H
>> >> Therefore why the need to mention "British" in the first post?
>> >>
>>
>> To differentiate from the other nationalities operating in Afghanistan.
>>

Iffy and RP included "commonwealth countries... And principalities". You have not said who you exclude from being British.

Is it not a sad day when the Americans or any other nationalities lose 6 of their troops?

Is it not a sad day whenever these executions go on, whether in Afghanistan or Iraq or wherever?

Iffy and RP included "commonwealth countries... And principalities". You have not said who you exclude from being British.

The world is in a mess today, what with wars and fighting and killing here there and everywhere, because of artificial boundaries dividing "nationalities" - that have been drawn in territories around the world by imperialists.

p.s. I have close family serving in the RAF.
Last edited by: John H on Wed 7 Mar 12 at 17:38
 A sad day. - Pat
John, I have always looked up to you, slightly in awe.

You have such a fine knowledge of a lot of subjects that fills me with envy.
You have a quick wit and sense of humour and yes, you can be pedantic, but usually you have a point, so I'm prepared to accept you may be right.

Seeing what you've written above, your insistence on labouring an unnecessary point, in an inappropriate situation, I don't envy you anymore.

I'm pleased to be me, I know when to shut up, know when I've made a gaffe, I don't always apologise publicly but at the very least, I walk away with a very red face.

We all feel for the families of those lost, whatever their nationality and it is crass to argue about it.

Pat

A sad day. - John H
>> We all feel for the families of those lost, whatever their nationality and it is crass to argue about it. >>

+1

I kept my first post very short, added RIP to it. The discussion that has followed has helped to establish that lives lost by any side in a war are regrettable, and must be a matter for sadness for all humanity, and our first thought should be with the families of those killed.

A sad day. - Dutchie
I maybe naive Pat but I think John didn't mean it in the way it came over.

It is a Yorkshire Regiment thats all I can think of.
 A sad day. - Kevin
>I maybe naive Pat but I think John didn't mean it in the way it came over.

+1
 A sad day. - Dog
>>>I maybe naive Pat but I think John didn't mean it in the way it came over<<

+2
 A sad day. - borasport
Given the fact that we all know a significant proportion of the British Army come from outside England (not just the other home nations), I don't understand this post.

Given the fact six people have been killed, I understand it even less

If it is an intended humorous reference to other threads, I think it is sadly misplaced
 A sad day. - Dutchie
Unfortenately it is the risk of joining a army you can be killed.My opinion is this is a war that can't be won.As soon the troops are gone the Taliban will run the country again.Feel sorry for these lads or lasses where ever they come from and the family's they have.War is a nasty bussines.
 A sad day. - pete4344
It amazes me that anyone, supposedly bright politicians included, ever thought the British and Americans could beat the Taliban, when the whole might of the Soviet army couldn't. Meanwhile, there will endless tragedies like this.
 A sad day. - Kevin
>It amazes me that anyone,..ever thought the British and Americans could beat the Taliban.

They've never seen The Princess Bride where Vizzini says to the man in black:

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia".

Yet another sad day - one of too many.
 A sad day. - Roger.
@JohnH:- A nasty cheap shot. Scowly face from me.
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 7 Mar 12 at 21:19
 A sad day. - Zero
I am currently in Yorkshire. There is a lot of feeling here about the loss of lads from a local regiment.

However, it is inevitable, that when deaths occurr, there will always be the howl of anger and bitterness, that these deaths should not have happened. Mainly because they should not be in a war zone our leaders created, for nothing more than political means.

These lives have been shed for no good reason. Blame Blair and Bush, not squabble on here.
 A sad day. - Westpig
>> These lives have been shed for no good reason. Blame Blair and Bush, not squabble
>> on here.
>>

...and the alternative? Leave the Taliban as they were, allow full support to Al Qaeda, to let them do the modern equivalent of 9/11 again?

I'm not at all convinced that our troops in Afghanistan, with most other countries not bothering, is the answer...but neither was inaction.
 A sad day. - Lygonos
>>I'm not at all convinced that our troops in Afghanistan, with most other countries not bothering, is the answer...but neither was inaction.

I wonder if more could have been gained from the 10s of billions spent on military action by using it to improve education and governance through non-military schemes.

There is no military victory to be gained - Taliban isn't an armed force, it's a movement that feeds off of perceived oppression/aggression/corruption/etc - deal with these issues and the support for Taliban diminishes.

"Hearts and minds" campaigns are more important than brute force - traditionally the UK Armed Services have been good, certainly compared to their US counterparts, at helping the H&M cause.

There's no easy solution out there but care needs to be taken not to simply fan the flames.
 A sad day. - Lygonos
>>"Hearts and minds" campaigns are more important than brute force - traditionally the UK Armed Services have been good, certainly compared to their US counterparts, at helping the H&M cause.

As if by magic....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17332398

That'll probably cost a few dozen more of our soldiers lives from fresh Taliban recruitment.

8-(
 A sad day. - Fullchat
Not that they need an excuse.
 A sad day. - Lygonos
When the perceived choice on offer is between a corrupt 'legitimate' state government, and an extremist anti-Imperialist group of 'freedom-fighters', the only way forward for the US/UK is to improve the lives of the populace (who know what Taliban rule will mean) and the country's governance, and/or to bring the extremists into the political process.

To think any form of 'military victory' can be achieved is the utmost folly.

Latest Forum Posts