Non-motoring > Apps on my phone. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 34

Apps on my phone. - R.P.
Less than there were once !

Facebook - used regularly as an useful portal to upload photos direct.

LloydsTSB - to check my bank $tuff - not used at all.

BTFon WiFi - used reasonably often to justify its use.

Cineworld - used occasionally

X Ray Booth - Novelty - cos I'm a boy !

Just realised I haven't re-loaded the excellent free SatNav App that I had since I updated the OS a couple of months ago - I did use that quite often...honest...
 Apps on my phone. - borasport
Apart from the stuff that was pre-loaded, -

Audible audio book player
c:geo
British Red Cross First Aid App
Google Sky Map
MapMyFitness (ha !)
3G Watchdog
Wifi Analyzer
RecordMyCalls
 Apps on my phone. - Zero

>> Just realised I haven't re-loaded the excellent free SatNav App that I had since I
>> updated the OS a couple of months ago -

If you mean Nav Free, thats because it was far from "excelent"

Posted using IE V9.0.8112.1624 NO flash adds displayed, and the curser appeared to feeze.
 Apps on my phone. - R.P.
It suited my Census needs very well last year ! Also forgot to reload the Kindle app - sort that out later.
 Apps on my phone. - smokie
Odder ones on my Android:

Spirit level
Bar code scanner with price comparison (saved me over £100 on two purchases alone - £80 on some curtains (£103 v Debenhams £180) and £20 on a set of DECT phones, in Tesco Direct store for £90+ but online with Tesco Direct for £70ish)
In car camera app (record your journey, yawn unless something exciting happens)
Car finder, to find your car when you've left it in some large car park

Some games:
Poker
Motor racing game
Darts!!
Cribbage

Useful ones:
One which only turns on WiFi when in range of a known WiFi access point (thus saving battery)
Navigation (two types)
0870 call alternative numbers (landlines)
Teamviewer (allows me to log ionto my (and other) computers from phone

Intend trying a VOIP phone app (probably not Skype) for possible imminent US trip
 Apps on my phone. - Zero
BOLL - I mean cobblers

just spent 15 minutes writing up all the apps and my iphone dropped on the keyboard and wiped it all out

Not doing it again!
 Apps on my phone. - R.P.
Bailiffs taken your desk then ?
 Apps on my phone. - Zero
Yes they arrived because of Nicolles unpaid Aldi parking bill.....
 Apps on my phone. - Zero
I will just comment on one app I loaded. A simple spirit level app, very accurate and all you could ever need it for

Except

It only displays one way up (not recognising turning the phone through 180 degrees from one side to the next) and the right way up is with the protruding volume buttons/ mute switch down on the surface you are trying to measure, making it impossible to measure it straight.

Ultimate stupidity.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 18:17
 Apps on my phone. - rtj70
I've got an app called Bubble (think that's the name). It works whichever way the phone is. Put it flat on a surface and it has a 'bubble' showing how level a surface is in 2d - use if edge on and it's 1d.

Never checked how it calibrates to a spirit level though.

market.android.com/details?id=bz.ktk.bubble&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImJ6Lmt0ay5idWJibGUiXQ..
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 18:30
 Apps on my phone. - VxFan
>> A simple spirit level app,
>> Except
>>
>> It only displays one way up

The couple I've got work with the phone flat, on it's side, rotate it 180 degrees and it follows suit, even works in portrait or lanscape mode.

I say couple, as one is purely a spirit level, the other came with various other measures - plum bob, seismometer, stopwatch, timers, metronome, teslameter, protractor, ruler, and surface level.
 Apps on my phone. - AnotherJohnH
Across 5 screens I have the following utilites/apps

some are not "out of the box":

3G watchdog
GPS status - compass display, plus displays virtually all the sensors: light level in lux, magnetic filed in Teslas - plus declination, acceleration, "bubble spirit" level (and pitch and yaw), battery temperature and voltage
Droidwall - keeps stuff out, and stops apps getting out, unless I let them.
Superuser - to see what has been demanding root access on my "rooted" android
No frills CPU control to slow down CPU as required and optionally overclock (as if!).
WiFi analyser
Fing - son of "Look@Lan"

Kindle (on a 4.3 inch 800x480 screen)
Sound level meter
dictionary
crossword solver
car locator
google sky map
Dishpointer pro
flightradar2
Western Palearctic birding checklist (feathered kind).
iplayer
youtube
"CAR home" - puts it into "DORO phone" big button mode ;-)

Things I wish were better sorted:

navigate - It works reasonably well, but only to postcode not house number after post code.
But there's the mal-punctuated screechy voice, which is the real killer...
There seem to be 2 alternative voices, one is free but reserves the right to charge an unknown fee at some point in the future.
The other one is a free app with voices at £2 per go, but it seems to break parts of text to speech and is a pig to remove.

Touch screen "keyboard" with fat old fingers - even used horizontally - I'm considering setting the keyboard to be big numbers and input text predictively

Something I wanted to do, but failed to find one that worked (in the environment I provide)
Substitute for "road angel"
call recorder.

Some of the stuff in the posts above may well get an airing soon.
 Apps on my phone. - R.P.
Another one I haven't uploaded since the OS change is BMW's slick one - allows you to find your car (!) and programme the heating to come on remotely...
>> Substitute for "road angel"

PocketGPSWorld app for speed cameras?
 Apps on my phone. - Zero
yup

damn good except for one small bug, if you leave a motorway in the middle of a specs zone, it assumes you are still in a specs zone and nags you about for the next 100 miles - turning off is the only cure.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 3 Mar 12 at 13:01
I've not used it in earnest since getting it so haven't experienced that bug on Android.
 Apps on my phone. - VxFan
One of my regular apps I use is the torch.
And a daily look at the sickipedia app.

Just reminded me (had to look how to spell sicki), I must go submit my monthly gas reading using the npower app.
 Apps on my phone. - Crankcase
You did ask...I think I paid for two of these, the rest were free.

Games
--------
Retro Pinball
Angry Birds Rio
Bubble Bust
CoinDozer World Tour
iAssociate 2
Shady Puzzles
Slot Machine
SuperLaser
Sims Medieval
Sims Freeplay
Sonic Racing
Game of Life
NFS Shift 2
Christmas and Coins
Age of Pinballs

TV
---
FilmOn Plus
TvCatchup
NASA TV
Apple Remote
4oD Catchup
TV Guide
BBC iPlayer
Demand 5
Constellation XBMC
Air Video
Netflix

Outside stuff
--------------
Days Out
Booking.com
Britains Finest
Enjoy England
Geocaching
GPS Angel
Picnics
National Trust
Cambriddge Guided Bus
Touchnote
Google Earth
NavFree UK
OS Converter
Waze
CycleStreets
HA TRaffic
Ndrive UK
RAC Traffic
TomTom Western Europe
Cameralert
Outside
toptable

Shopping
----------
Maplin
find-DVD
Amazon
eBay
RL Classic
Vouchercloud
John Lewis
Richer Sounds
Sccope
Gumtree

General stuff
--------------
Audiobooks
Google
IP Scanner
My Vodafone
Genius Scan
Ping
Skyview Free
Speed Test
Water My Photo
SpyCams
Airport Utility
Snapseed
Capital Spreads

Lookups
---------
iMDB
AutoTrader
Zoopla
Skyscanner
Macworld
Summly

Music
------
ARN
HiDef Radio
KFOG
SSW LE
Simon's cat
SoundHound
Spotify
What's the geocaching app ? is it the Groundspeak one ?
Yes it is. Shortly to be joined by a geohashing app if I can find a decent one. Are you a letterboxer too?
Indeedy.

is the Groundspeak one any good ? I use C:geo, but only rarely, as I prefer to stick with the old GPSMap62 - I certainly don't anticipate using the phone for caching often enough to actually justifiy a paid for app
The phone is indeed a Bit Hopeless for proper caching - the accuracy isn't good enough unless it's very obvious. So I use a Garmin gps unit for the final home in.

However, we found that more and more we didn't actually care very much about a plastic box with a Superman sticker in it hidden up a tree, so now it's more of an excuse to solve the clues (the more arcane the better), get to the place but enjoy the walk there and back. In which case the phone does just fine.

Certainly the mapping and interface is excellent for those purposes. I think there's a free version of it, although I don't recall the limitations offhand.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 5 Mar 12 at 14:45
If I want to use my samsung for listening to digital radio (specifically bbc radio 7) what's the best way of going about it ?
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 10:25
 Apps on my phone. - Mike Hannon
I use an Orange Live Radio app on my ipod touch that gives me worldwide radio. I'm not sure but I think it may be French, although I get everything from the UK and elsewhere.
Incidentally, BBC Radio 7 doesn't exist any more (although the logo sometimes comes up on my app) - it's Radio 4 Extra.
It's the 40th birthday (well, yesterday was) of the Atari trademark.

If you had a an Atari videogame system way back when and want a nostalgia trip, then the "100 Greatest Atari Games" of the time are available on iphone/ipad today for free.

I don't how long it will stay free.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/ataris-greatest-hits/id422966028?mt=8
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 28 Jun 12 at 09:28
 Apps on my phone. - Duncan
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 28 Jun 12 at 09:42
 Apps on my phone. - Pezzer
TuneIn Radio is very good
 Apps on my phone. - Stuartli
WhatsApp is a great free money saving messaging app for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia; these phones can all message each other.

Apps on my phone. - Manatee
Had a look, but WhatsApp doesn't seem to be free at the moment - 0.69 isn't much, but I don't know anyone who uses it :-)

In my short experience so far of the iPhone 4S I have found several apps that I really value, free unless stated:

Photoshop Express

TurboScan - £1.49. Will create and email multi-page pdf documents using the camera to capture the image.

Skype Why not, if you are a Skype user anyway.

Myfitnesspal Use with website to manage grub intake and exercise. Lost > 5 kilos so far.

RunKeeper Use with website to record walks, cycling and calories used.

Soundhound Haven't used it much but like it.

RedLaser Also creates QR codes.

Wimbledon Live scores, player profiles, and stats for matches in progress.

Ocado app for shopping.

mysupermarket for checking prices.

National Trust, National Trust Gardens, English Heritage.

iPhone secrets Vol 1 & 2. £0.69 each. Far better to browse than the manual (and easier to follow).

Night Sky £0.69. Star maps, , planets...

LinkledIn (I'm a jobseeker)

Good Beer Guide and Good Pub Guide. £4.99 each. We usually buy the GBG every year and the other one every three or so (it's rubbish to use in book form, and only resorted to when the GBG fails). The apps are cheaper than the books, and faster to use. Precisely what a connected, location aware computer can be good at.

BBC News

Telegraph (free for subscribers)

BBC iPlayer

Met Office. Not highly rated by users but I like it - I don't think the moaners know how to use it.

Accuweather. I'm a weather freak.

Traffic Lite. Has camera feeds as well as roadworks. Cameras don't work for Jockland.

Outside. Essentially a GPS app with a variety of OS maps.

I have a few other amusing ones like SpiritLevel and MagLight but the ones above I am very pleased with. I think I picked up on some from this thread, I haven't been back over it, so thanks to other contributors.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 30 Jun 12 at 19:24
 Apps on my phone. - Stuartli
>>Had a look, but WhatsApp doesn't seem to be free at the moment - 0.69 isn't much, but I don't know anyone who uses it :-)>>

The first year is free. See:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp

Particularly good if you have family or friends abroad.
Past thread-dredge mode = on

Nice little new free app for iPhone and Android - Recce. It's a under development, apparently, but worth looking at now.

It's a pretty 3D map of various places - there's a London one, a New York one and so on.

So what's new? Well, it's ever so pretty, everything is in 3D, but the killer is that is has real time hooks in it. So in the London one, for example, you clonk on search and choose "bike hire" and it shows you where bikes are for hire right this moment.

Things that are apparently coming include real time buses trundling about, real time tube trains, real time menus for cafes and so on and on, and I imagine, expansion to other cities.

There are little cars driving about at the minute but I think those are for effect rather than real time taxis at this moment.

Seems a neat little idea, I bet Google will snap it up in a year for twenty billion, and did I mention that it's pretty?
 Apps on my phone. - BobbyG
I currently have an App called Traveline Scotland which already gives you all the information re buses trains etc. You just click on the near me button and it shows every bus stop and train station nearby, click on them and it tells you what services are running and whether they are on time or late.

Would be surprised if there wasn't an English equivalent?
>> I currently have an App called Traveline Scotland which already gives you all the information
>> re buses trains etc. You just click on the near me button and it shows
>> every bus stop and train station nearby, click on them and it tells you what
>> services are running and whether they are on time or late.
>>
>> Would be surprised if there wasn't an English equivalent?
>>

Apparently as it's an English website, the Scottish version will stop working next week if you vote Yes.

;-0
I downloaded Waze on my phone.

Has anyone persevered with this? I gave up because it seemed to be insisting that it had to have access to my contacts list.
 Apps on my phone. - Boxsterboy
All free:

WhatsApp
Camera +
Sudoku
RYA Books
Wind Guru
Met Office
Trainline
Tube Map
Latest Forum Posts