Non-motoring > Decorating on to plasterboard Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 5

Decorating on to plasterboard - bathtub tom
The builder that changed my cupboard - under - the - stairs from outside access to inside left the walls unplastered and intimated I could paint directly onto the plasterboard.

Have I got to dig out my old plaster float (that hasn't been used for thirty years), or can I paint directly onto plasterboard?

Curiously, he didn't fit any skirting either.
 Decorating on to plasterboard - Mapmaker
You should plaster then paper then paint.

He has neither plastered nor skirtingboarded because you didn't agree the spec with him beforehand, and he quoted bargain basement spec and price.

(Or he ripped you off.)
 Decorating on to plasterboard - Cliff Pope
You can paint straight onto plasterboard, but you tend to get a poor finish because the moisture is sucked in to a variable extent depending on the surface - eg plain plasterboard, the filled nails holes, paper edging, border with old painted plaster.

If you paper it first you get a smoother surface over any blemishes, and a more even colour.
 Decorating on to plasterboard - crocks
Skimming the plasterboard will give a more robust finish but it depends on your plastering skills whether you end up with an acceptable finish.

Filling the screw/nail holes and joints is a much more relaxed operation and you can repeat until you get an acceptable finish.

As Cliff says, you can paper it or you can use plasterboard sealer. www.wickes.co.uk/invt/163537
 Decorating on to plasterboard - Zero
I would paper it, and then paint it. I assume as its a small area there are few plasterboard seams.
 Decorating on to plasterboard - MD
Scrim the joints then skim with Thistle Multi-finish then paint with contract emulsion (non-vinyl).
Latest Forum Posts