Non-motoring > Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 19

Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Meldrew
Firm called Sofa King in trouble over low prices

tinyurl.com/6r88vzx

7 Year old boy banned from flying a skull and x-bones flag in his garden, part of a game.

1. Somebody complained
2. Breached advertising regulations
3. Might have encouraged piracy

tinyurl.com/6r88vzx

Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - diddy1234
Sofa King should have ask The Advertising Standards Authority to go to the far-que
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Dave_
There's a Suffolk poultry company (not that one) with the slogan on the front of its trucks: "Suffolk & juicy!"

Sounds best when said with a Suffolk accent. They'll be next for a TS investigation, I shouldn't wonder.

EDIT: Meldrew, you've posted the same link twice, try upthear.se/ahv for the second item.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 17:10
Thanks Dave! I try to save bandwidth or whatever it is by using tiny-url and then I get myself all confused!
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Dave_
You're welcome.

I think the url-shortening thing is to aid the formatting of text on-screen, especially when a web address runs to 400 characters or when someone's viewing the site on their phone. Different sites have different levels of user-friendliness, I find bitly.com easy to use.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 18:05
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Iffy
Businessman Bob Murray fell foul of the same law when he was chairman of Sunderland AFC.

He was in the habit of flying a Union Jack outside his large gaffe in North Yorkshire, but swapped it for a Sunderland AFC one.

The neighbours complained and he was ordered to take it down.

Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - R.P.
North Wales Police were flying a Gay Pride flag outside their HQ a few years ago - big song and dance from their Senior Officers - the "doh" moment was when the local council kindly pointed out that they needed planning permission....!

Politically correct nonsense (the flag I mean)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4428021/Gay-pride-flag-flies-at-police-HQ.html
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Manatee
>> Businessman Bob Murray fell foul of the same law when he was chairman of Sunderland
>> AFC.
>>
>> He was in the habit of flying a Union Jack outside his large gaffe in
>> North Yorkshire, but swapped it for a Sunderland AFC one.

The Sunderland flag was arguably an advert - what was the pirate flag advertising?

.*******
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Slidingpillar
Pirates?

I hope, but suspect not, the council realise what idiots this makes them.

Perhaps with a bit of luck a local solicitor will both act for free and for them. It would not be too hard to argue it is not an advertisement, and as a mobile structure, does not need planning permission either.

If I lived next door - kid would be welcome to fly the flag in my garden! I have a 20 foot mobile flagpole.
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - MD
Just tell the carncil to stick it up their congas. Who do they think they are.. And as for the neighbour, they will manifest in time. Job done.
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Manatee
Not sure how I got the stars. I merely pondered how French Connection had got away with its trademark for so long, but Sofa King has been picked on.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 06:37
French Connection have been around a long time and the Sofa King problem was a few days ago. Perhaps times have changed, the Councils certainly have! Remember Kennet Everett and Cupid Stunt? How we laughed/sniggered!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 06:59
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Bromptonaut
Just to be clear the Sofa King thing had nothing to do with the Council. The ad was banned becuase a few sad souls reported it's use in a local freesheet to the Advertising Standards Authority. The ASA is an industry watchdog and not an arm of the state. To my mind it runs far too scared of small numbers of easily offended Daily Mail reader types. IMO it should MTFU and tell people to live with a joke.

I'd be surprised if ASA has not been asked to adjudicate on the F C U K issue but their remit only runs to advertising. It has ower to stop folks walking the street with offending letters on their hoody.

I think police have suggested people cover up in particular circs but doubt a prosecution for wering the garments would get past CPS.
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - swiss tony
>> I'd be surprised if ASA has not been asked to adjudicate on the F C
>> U K issue but their remit only runs to advertising. It has ower to stop
>> folks walking the street with offending letters on their hoody.
>>

Bromptonaut, using IE are we?
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Bromptonaut
>> Bromptonaut, using IE are we?

Yes but not 9. Just poor edits.

Should of course read

It has no power to stop folks walking the street with offending letters on their hoody.

Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Biggles
French Connection did however have an almighty battle with the Patent Office regarding their trade mark on the ground that it was "contrary to accepted principles of morality" and won. They have also had dealings with the ASA and were placed under a strict vetting programme for any advert for a two year period.
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Iffy
Pirate flag boy wins an apology:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-17269511

Every cretin on that council incapable of independent thought and the application of common sense should be fined a week's wages.

Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - R.P.
Good result for them. I'm not usually one to stereotype but.....
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - John H
a link in Iffy's BBC link says Stafford Borough Council did something similar to this in 2007

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/6735959.stm

Last edited by: John H on Tue 6 Mar 12 at 17:48
 Jobsworth Heaven in the East Midlands! - Cliff Pope
All about the rules for flying flags here:

www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf-home.html

I researched this a few years ago when we erected a flagpole on top of our business premises.
There is deemed planning permission for a single flagpole as long as it is not "too high". That appears to mean it doen't pose a hazard to aircraft, so I judged our 20' pole on a roof 30' high was OK.

You are allowed to fly any national or regional flag, EU flag, and a company house flag as long as it consists only of a logo and not an advertisement. You are allowed to fly a temporary advertisement for an event of limited duration, eg "SALE Now On".

Our council is normally very keen on enforcing trivial planning breaches, such as when we stuck a banner up on railings for a day, but in 5 years we have had not a single bleet about the flag.

The boy could have argued:
1) the pirate flag is his national flag
2) it is his personal house flag
3) it advertises a temporary event -"Pirates here - one week only!"
Latest Forum Posts