Non-motoring > Useless Manchester City Council Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 37

Useless Manchester City Council - Fursty Ferret
Just discovered I'm not on the electoral roll at my current address, despite posting off the registration form OVER A YEAR AGO (according to the copy in my file). So it's either lost in the post (in which case Royal Mail gets my wrath) or ignored completely.

Unfortunately, it takes over a month to be added which has neatly scuppered my plans for buying a house before starting work in June. Very relieved that I haven't paid a reservation fee (which I was very close to doing today) otherwise I'd be out over a grand when the mortgage application is rejected.

I thought I had a pretty good credit score having never missed a payment, but it's just come out as "Fair" on Experian. The pfd.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Feb 12 at 00:06
 Useless Manchester City Council - -
Did you vote for the opposition previously?, maybe thats why your registration has been overlooked...;)

When we applied for finance a few years ago we were turned down, we don't and didn't owe a bean to anyone, never have, only credit card paid off in full every month so no charges...they don't seem to like people that are likely not to incur lucrative penalties....so we have a bad credit rating despite never missing any payment ever.

Strange old world.
 Useless Manchester City Council - henry k
>> When we applied for finance a few years ago we were turned down, we don't
>> and didn't owe a bean to anyone, never have, only credit card paid off in
>> full every month so no charges...they don't seem to like people that are likely not
>> to incur lucrative penalties....so we have a bad credit rating despite never missing any payment ever.
>>
IIRC it is more a case of you do not have enough track record re credit to create a rating in their eyes.
 Useless Manchester City Council - -
>> IIRC it is more a case of you do not have enough track record re
>> credit to create a rating in their eyes.

Possibly Henry, hopefully we won't need credit as such in the future, but still considering buying another gaff for investment, credit rating lack of might scupper that, can't quite lay me sweaty mitts on that much spare cash;).
 Useless Manchester City Council - Roger.

>> IIRC it is more a case of you do not have enough track record re
>> credit to create a rating in their eyes.

Yes - I have been turned down by three card issuers!
No track record in the UK for 12 years, had two addresses here since early 2011, may or may not yet be on the electoral register details held by the credit reference agencies.
House owner with no borrowings, no mortgage either!
So, I have applied and been accepted by, a "credit building" card, issued by a part of Provident, at an eye watering APR of 39.94% :-0
I shall use it purely to establish a track record in the UK and then will look for an alternative.
 Useless Manchester City Council - R.P.
Barclays do a similar card with 29.9%.

As part of a bolt on with my LloydsTSB account i got an interesting little booklet - I didn't think I need credit but even to open a mobile monthly account these days you need a credit track - so it pays occasionally to carry a debit on your credit card (say once a year) never miss a payment by accident - or if you do speak nicely to the CC company otherwise this will cause a blip on your otherwise flat lined credit record - they don't like blips. Another option is to make sure you're set up by DD to pay off the minimum amount.

I'm with IDaware a free service that you get with particular accounts with LloydsTSB - this monitors irregularities in your lines of credit (anti id theft process) with this I get free comprehensive reporting from Experian - and also real time text alerts if my credit status changes. Interestingly for the OP it shows my voter's registration past - all of the last few addresses I've lived in. It also shows an incorrect address (Selected by a stupid/dumb/careless call-taker for EDF) I need to correct that.

I would highly recommend this sort of service.

The ultimate mill-stone is debt of any sort - once you fall behind with anything these days they're onto you like a pack of wolves on a sick elephant - Banks and other creditors are now chasing old loans they're not taking any prisoners - colleagues in CAB are stunned as to how hard Banks are chasing these - I suppose they work on the basis that getting something back is good business - they are totally ruthless.

Top Tip of the day

DO NOT TAKE A "PAYDAY" LOAN
 Useless Manchester City Council - Iffy
...DO NOT TAKE A "PAYDAY" LOAN...

Even if they are advertised on your favourite internet forum. :)

Possibly.
 Useless Manchester City Council - henry k
>>I shall use it purely to establish a track record in the UK and then will look for an alternative.
>>
For many years I used Barclay Card for all corporate expenses and spent the rewards on various items. BC changed to new rewards that I was not interested in and my company isssued us with corporate CCs.
I used an A & L card til they screwed their rewards scheme.

For several years I have used a John Lewis card that gives rewards.
Every quarter £30 - £40 of JL vouchers arrive.
A plus is the call centre staff are polite and very good. The down side may be JL vouchers rather than cash. No problem to us cos we shop in Waitrose.
Of course we pay off the bill each and every month.
Understand your frustration but hasn't England discovered online voter registration yet ? :-)
>> Understand your frustration but hasn't England discovered online voter registration yet ? :-)
>>

Double pfd.

Just discovered I am on the electoral roll (thanks Equifax) but with a single letter spelled incorrectly in my surname. How they got it wrong when it's printed in capital letters, I don't know.

I'm going to get lamped for bleedin' stamp duty as well now (that's one letter costing over £2,000).
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Feb 12 at 00:07
I think we'll turn a blind eye to the swearing FF - justified.
 Useless Manchester City Council - John H
>> - justified. >>

Have you seen the evidence?

Useless Manchester City Council - VxFan
>> I think we'll turn a blind eye to the swearing FF - justified.

Oops! Just edited it for a pfd instead.
>> despite posting off the registration form OVER A YEAR AGO (according to the copy in my file). >>

So during that year, it is a fact that

1. you have not received any notifications of elections held in your district

and/or

2. your address has not been sent any electoral forms forms to check that the record is still valid (Each year, the electoral register is updated between August and November.)

Otherwise, I should think it is very easy to blame faceless officials when the fault may lie closer to home.

Nope - I keep hold of all this stuff and apart from the electoral form that came shortly after moving in (which is the one that I sent off since it had the wrong people on it) nothing else has come from the council.

I cast my vote in Devon during the last local elections, where I'm also registered at my parent's address.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 20:38
>> I cast my vote in Devon during the last local elections, where I'm also registered at my parent's address. >>

So you knew that the election notice should have been sent, and that you had not received one at your Manchester address.

>> >> I cast my vote in Devon during the last local elections, where I'm also
>> registered at my parent's address. >>
>>
>> So you knew that the election notice should have been sent, and that you had
>> not received one at your Manchester address.
>>
>>
>>

To be honest, I was expecting a postal vote from Devon, got it, posted it back, and didn't think about it again because I was out of the country during the local elections anyway. Yes, it should probably have triggered warning bells, and yes, I'm royally annoyed that it didn't.

Wasn't me that typed the wrong letter into a computer though.

Will try to arrange another chat with the mortgage advisor next week.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 20:51
>> Wasn't me that typed the wrong letter into a computer though. >>

Alright then, it was a Useless Manchester City Council Data Entry Clerk.

Stuff happens. Do you have an unusually spelt surname by any chance?

p.s. I guess you met this criterion for Electoral Roll: A person with two homes who spends about the same amount of time in each can be lawfully registered at both addresses.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 21:12
>> >> Wasn't me that typed the wrong letter into a computer though. >>
>>
>> Alright then, it was a Useless Manchester City Council Data Entry Clerk.
>>
>> Stuff happens. Do you have an unusually spelt surname by any chance?
>>
>> p.s. I guess you met this criterion for Electoral Roll: A person with two homes
>> who spends about the same amount of time in each can be lawfully registered at
>> both addresses.
>>
>>

Correct. Downside of being a contractor. But of course you can only vote once.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 21:35
 Useless Manchester City Council - rtj70
So FF, if you're on the electoral register in Devon as well is that not a help? Or are you effected because your current bank details don't match.

I thought from your other thread you were a cash buyer. Not prying but that was the impression you gave to me at least.
 Useless Manchester City Council - Bromptonaut
IIRC cash buyer has two meanings:

(a) Got the money in readies

(b) No chain, access to cash deposit and guaranteed mortgage offer based on stable employment.

Assume FF falls in group b.
 Useless Manchester City Council - Clk Sec
>> IIRC cash buyer has two meanings:
>> (a) Got the money in readies
>> (b) No chain, access to cash deposit and guaranteed mortgage offer based on stable employment.

I don't agree, Brompt.

A cash buyer is an individual who is able to buy for available cash; not one who has to rely on the whims of a lender.

In my 'umble opinion.
 Useless Manchester City Council - Bromptonaut
>> I don't agree, Brompt.
>>
>> A cash buyer is an individual who is able to buy for available cash; not
>> one who has to rely on the whims of a lender.
>>
>> In my 'umble opinion.

I agree that is the literal meaning. The term was used by agents iro Mrs B & me 20yrs ago when we had sold and were renting. Shorthand for 'in position to proceed immediately'.

Times were as now; folk were reluctant to move in a recession. We had a guaranteed mortgage offer and enough deposit to cope with stuff like lenders retention for survey niggles.
 Useless Manchester City Council - Harleyman
My sympathies FF;had a similar problem with my credit rating which turned out to be caused by a spelling error. Took ages to sort out; it only surfaced after I applied for one of Mr. Branson's credit card offers and got turned down.

Equifax by the way deserve their own rating; as an incompetent waste of oxygen.
>> My sympathies FF;had a similar problem with my credit rating which turned out to be
>> caused by a spelling error. Took ages to sort out; it only surfaced after I
>> applied for one of Mr. Branson's credit card offers and got turned down.
>>
>> Equifax by the way deserve their own rating; as an incompetent waste of oxygen.
>>

Yes, would agree with you there Harleyman. I don't understand why this wasn't triggered earlier as I applied for a credit card last year (for the air miles, ironically) and it came with a truly outrageous credit limit of £18,000 or similar based solely on my declared income. I was never planning to spend on it beyond £250 to get the bonus air miles, so called them to reduce the limit to £1,000.

If they offered me that without a proper credit check it's absolutely no surprise that a lot of people struggled financially when the economy derailed.

The good news is that a chat with someone who knows far more than this about me says it shouldn't be a problem if I rock up with a decent explanation of what's happened. Really don't want to miss the stamp duty cut-off though.
Best of luck FF. I am sure this can be sorted in the timeframe.

as for: "(b) No chain, access to cash deposit and guaranteed mortgage offer based on stable employment. "

I'd forgotten when we bought this house the selling agent asked about mortgage. We'd made it clear we were cash buyers multiple times.... and then when it came nearer the time for exchange they asked again. I assume they had not realised we actually meant cash and not just chain free with mortgage lined up. The solicitor asked on the purchase too despite him handling the sum of money from our sale. He pointed out that not everyone who gets a big sum from a sale necessarily uses all (most) of it for the next house.
Solicitors need proof of funds and need to know how you're funding it, despite him handling the previous sale. Standard practice - nothing to do with you personal liquidity everything to do with his professional integrity.
I see that RP.

In discussion for our money he said we could get a cheque or pay for an electronic transfer. Cheaper overall for the cheque. Lost interest.
...The good news is that a chat with someone who knows far more than this about me says it shouldn't be a problem if I rock up with a decent explanation of what's happened. Really don't want to miss the stamp duty cut-off though....

Agreed.

It doesn't matter what Equifax and the like say, they don't lend you the money, the mortgage company does that.

You've not posted lots of details, but I gather you have a decent deposit, earn a nice few quid and are not looking to buy a town house in Mayfair.

Borrower in good standing with reasonable expectations = loan approval.

I'd be wary of buying somewhere just to beat the stamp duty - you don't live in a stamp duty.

On t'other hand, the deadline might motivate you to get the job done.

Something in that, seems to me some people spend months if not years pratting around looking at houses.

Useless Manchester City Council - devonite
With 2 F`s - 2 E`s - 2 T`s and 3 R`s - I`m suprised they only got one letter wrong!
Though since the place will be sitting empty for two months before I move in, the overall cost is much the same - of course, it just hurts that it's £2000 going to HMRC and not off my mortgage!
You probably know this, but make sure it's insured and the insurance company know of the empty period.

At least stamp duty on this property is only 1%. We had to pay 3%. That hurt more I can tell you! So look on the bright side ;-)

What will be more annoying is paying council tax on two places. Although if the new place is unfurnished you should get a 50% discount.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 11:25
>>and the insurance company know of the empty period.

Good advice.
>> At least stamp duty on this property is only 1%. We had to pay 3%.
>> That hurt more I can tell you! So look on the bright side ;-)
>>
>> What will be more annoying is paying council tax on two places. Although if the
>> new place is unfurnished you should get a 50% discount.
>>

Yes, on reflection 2 mortgage payments at over £1k/month + insurance + council tax + heating (still drying out) likely to cost way more than stamp duty anyway, especially since I'll still be in Manchester!

Having said that, the 0% rate could be extended in the March budget as well so on reflection it seems best to drag it out as long as the developer will let me and either end up breaking even (worst case) or £2k better off.

Edit: Though it seems you can leave a property empty for six months before paying council tax according to the Aylesbury council tax guide.
>>Edit: Though it seems you can leave a property empty for six months before paying council tax according to the Aylesbury council tax guide.<<

Same in my neck of the woods. As long as the property is unfurnished.
 Useless Manchester City Council - movilogo
Not being in electoral register does not automatically disqualify anyone from getting a mortgage.

It all depends on the bank. If you take mortgage from who you bank with, there is a good chance electoral register exclusion would not matter.

Latest Forum Posts