Non-motoring > Telephone answering machines Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Telephone answering machines - L'escargot
Do telephone answering machines have any advantage over BT1571?

We have BT1571 and we consider that it cuts in too early ~ after something like eight rings. We'd like a phone which enables us to set a longer time.
 Telephone answering machines - Fenlander
Yep I think the advantage of your own machine is being able to set it up 100% as you wish. These new digital ones do a huge amount of stuff. For us the no.1 reason though was to have the machine where it would be seen when we returned home and the red flashing light would alert us without having to remember to phone 1571 to collect mesages.

Having said that we decided 18mths ago we no longer wished to be left messages. If we're out we're out so folks can call back if they wish.

However we do use the call logging display which saves numbers that call us when out as sometimes we might wish to know who is after us.
 Telephone answering machines - crocks
I used to have Call Minder (1571) on BT and have found the old 1993 instruction book.
It says standard delay is seven rings but you can change. Something like -

Do you want to hear your messages? No
Review your Call answering options? Yes
Review the ringing period? Yes

Hope that works for you
You can personalise Call Minder but not BT Answer 1571. tinyurl.com/2v9usry
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 24 Apr 10 at 13:00
 Telephone answering machines - Bigtee
~ after something like eight rings. We'd like a phone which enables us to set a longer time.

Before 8 rings i would have hung up 6-7 is the most.

Phones with caller display is handy my 2x portable panasonic have this and answer machine built in you could at christmas get the 3x pack for £55.00 from currys.
>> Before 8 rings i would have hung up 6-7 is the most.

Not everyone can get to the phone in that time. It depends on how far you are from the phone, what you are doing when the phone starts ringing, and your degree of mobility.
 Telephone answering machines - Old Sock
>> Do telephone answering machines have any advantage over BT1571?

Every now and then, the ability to remotely-access the answering machine has been invaluable. Not sure if you can do that with 1571.
 Telephone answering machines - swiss tony
I found 1571 useless..... I missed loads of messages because I couldn't get into the habit of picking up the phone when I didn't want to use it - the only way you know you have a message is by the dialling tone.....

Until - I discovered you can get a message sent to a dedicated mobile, then access the message off the mobile - Brill!
 Telephone answering machines - FocalPoint
You can access your messages on BT CallMinder (which is in effect a customised, paid-for version of 1571) from another phone/number, regardless of location. However, you can't do that on the standard (free) 1571.

As for missing messages on 1571, the way of dealing with that is to have a phone that flashes a red light when there is a message. It works well for me!
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 20:25
 Telephone answering machines - Zero
telephone answering machines are dying and near dead technology.

killed by mobile voicemail, and call minding services.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 24 Apr 10 at 14:04
 Telephone answering machines - Fursty Ferret
And then you have the younger generation (which includes me) who hate leaving messages and usually just hang up when the answering machine clicks in. If I need to get in touch with someone urgently, I'll call back later or find another way of tracking them down. Alternatively, a text message can usually convey the gist of the message.

Voicemail on my phone is proudly turned off.
>> Voicemail on my phone is proudly turned off.
>>

When we're out or temporarily indisposed we frequently get messages from our estate agent regarding a prospective purchaser, or from medical/hospital services regarding forthcoming appointments etc. We wouldn't want to be without some sort of telephone answering service.
 Telephone answering machines - Phil I
>frequently get messages from our estate agent

Itchy feet on the move again Mr. Snail - Not a good time to sell at the moment.

Best of luck Phil I
 Telephone answering machines - Fursty Ferret
>> When we're out or temporarily indisposed we frequently get messages from our estate agent regarding
>> a prospective purchaser or from medical/hospital services regarding forthcoming appointments etc. We wouldn't want to
>> be without some sort of telephone answering service.
>>

All good reasons. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts