Non-motoring > House rules and updated terms Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 33

House rules and updated terms - L'escargot
I thought these were extremely well thought out, fair, and well presented. I hope there'll be a zero tolerance approach to those who don't comply.
 House rules and updated terms - Zero
I see them more as guidance. I dont like the idea of zero tolerance.
 House rules and updated terms - SteelSpark
>> I see them more as guidance. I dont like the idea of zero tolerance.

He didn't mean no tolerance, he meant how much you would tolerate...your level of tolerance is now the C4P benchmark...
 House rules and updated terms - MD
>> >> I see them more as guidance. I dont like the idea of zero tolerance.
>>
>> He didn't mean no tolerance he meant how much you would tolerate...your level of tolerance
>> is now the C4P benchmark...
>>
You don't get him do you?
 House rules and updated terms - sherlock47
Surely you wish to see 'Zero tolerance' ? ;)
 House rules and updated terms - Pat
I would much prefer to see self moderation. It works for a bunch of lorry drivers on our forums, so it should work here!

If it does, it means the managements rules are redundant, and I'm sure they'll be delighted about that:)

Pat
 House rules and updated terms - car4play
I am really confused now.
We had the up and down arrows and offensive buttons that would have hidden posts for you, but you didn't like them. ;-) We were told it was "mob rule". (At least I didn't see you as a "mob"!)
We still have the offensive button but none of you used it. It would have done the moderating job for you if you had.
Last edited by: car4play on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 12:25
 House rules and updated terms - Pat
We're just testing your tolerance level:)

Pat
Don't get me started on "tolerance".

:-)
 House rules and updated terms - Zero
trouble with mobs, so unpredictable

the light touch moderation employed at the moment is fine, it works for me
 House rules and updated terms - Bagpuss
I quite liked the up and down arrows. I was going to report a random post as offensive just to see what would happen, but decided against it.
-- This message is hidden --
(Considered too offensive)
 House rules and updated terms - Bagpuss
There's an emoticon of a little frowning guy appeared under the message. Can everyone see that or only the person who reported?
Everyone sees it. He gets progressively more angry the more people rate as offensive as per the tooltip on it.
Last edited by: car4play on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 14:24
 House rules and updated terms - crocks
So what is the scoring system?
I assumed it was six hits and you're out but I rated it and the little man didn't get any more angry.
It takes a number of points to get to the most offensive (hidden) state. So if this is say 18, and there are 6 states it takes 3 points per state. Well, that kind of thing. It's not quite that because he shows up straightaway on the first click. So your clicks register even if he doesn't change too much. I can't be too specific over where the threshold is for hidden because we will change it according to how many people tend to use it. e.g. if 10% of forum users rate then it will hide. It's currently set at 8%.

But then what will happen is that some of the better longstanding posters have more weight than others - say a complete newbe.
Thanks for that explanation. Seems fair to me.
I hope not to get any little faces myself but I may report a few, safe in the knowledge that my click will not result in instant ex-communication. :-)
 House rules and updated terms - Alanovich
Sorry, stupid mode on. What does one click in order to provoke the angry little man? I don't see the "report as offensive" link any more.

Stupid mode off.
 House rules and updated terms - Ted

Ooh look....I complained and the little man got darker.....would be fun if he exploded with rage when enough complaints are in !

Ted
We toned down the messaging (read got rid of the label) to make the site look less threatening.
The offensive button is the red circle next to the thumbs up. If you hover your mouse over it a tooltip should appear giving an explanation.

Edit: Oh and the mods are also getting your messages of "Test" etc.

Also you don't have to write a message if you don't want to. We could have left that functionality off and had it that you just use the "Report message" link instead. However, we did want a confirmation box before the post got flagged offensive and a message to confirm what you were doing in case you hit the button by mistake.
Last edited by: car4play on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 15:36
 House rules and updated terms - Skoda
This self moderation feature which can ultimately hide a really bad post, seems an innovative approach.

I like light touch moderation. This self moderation seems sensible, for now.
c4p, I think the button and thumb may be ambiguous. I had taken them to mean that, in order to give a post the thumbs up, one should click in the little circle to the right of the thumb. Which does not appear as red (on my screen at least), but white.
Are you logged in? If not log in and try again. hth.
Thanks, got it now. I am slow on the uptake today.
 House rules and updated terms - Bellboy
ive complained and the mifter didnt get any angrier
can i have an internetty refund?
No. But I've made you miserable just to compensate. :-)
 House rules and updated terms - Iffy
Seems to me a pointless over-complication of the site to cure a problem we don't have.

>> cure a problem we don't have.

Agreed .. but it does cure some of OUR problems and the moderator's problems.
It is just another way in which forum members can get involved more in helping us and work together as a community to make this site work better.
 House rules and updated terms - Iffy
...but it does cure some of OUR problems and the moderator's problems...

c4p,

Another helpful explanation.

I only see things from where I'm sat, but if the job is running smoother for the management and mods, it benefits us all.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 18:22
>> Another helpful explanation.

Thanks. When I get some more time I will share some of the concepts we have for moving site forwards and that should help explain why rating is central to the whole process. I am not quite so paranoid now about being copied. ;-)

House rules and updated terms - bathtub tom
>>I am not quite so paranoid now about being copied. ;-)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;>)
 House rules and updated terms - Armel Coussine
And I have given him a scowl, Bb. If a few other people pretend to find you offensive he may go black in the face with rage like the other one, or me behind a mimser in an M5 BMW.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 18:28
 House rules and updated terms - VxFan
>> Edit: Oh and the mods are also getting your messages of "Test" etc.

You're not wrong there. I could do with a frowning emoticon right now, having to go through them all.
 House rules and updated terms - MD
Clearly a meeting is called for close to 'Hobgoblin Towers'...... say I
Latest Forum Posts