Non-motoring > Micro four thirds camera? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 6

Micro four thirds camera? - Crankcase
Might be doing an actual holiday in the summer that will require a better camera than we have.

I'm thinking about one of those micro four thirds things - Olympus Pen perhaps, with a couple of interchangeable pancake lenses.

Ought to be better than our point and shoot but not unwieldy and heavy like my ancient OM-10 with all the lenses?

Any experience of these 4/3 things out there? I need it for both planty closeups and birdy long shots, hence lens swappery.

I'm guessing a cost of between £500 and £600, but would be happier with anything from 25 new pence upwards.
 Micro four thirds camera? - Dog
I ended up with a Lumix G2 (now G3) in the end - great camera, and I'm very pleased with it.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=8635#forum_footer
 Micro four thirds camera? - Crankcase
Ach, didn't realise we'd done it so recently. Most of my answers are in that thread, so thanks all.
 Micro four thirds camera? - rtj70
Lenses can be pricey. Sigma and others are meant to be bringing out lenses for micro four thirds. Whether these are just reworked lenses that fit or smaller lenses taking advantage of the more compact sensor etc. I don't know.
 Micro four thirds camera? - zippy
Reviews and info here:

www.dpreview.com

The Sony APS-C cameras get a good write up. Bit more expensive though.
 Micro four thirds camera? - Manatee
A pal has one of the Panasonics, G1 I think - it's very good indeed and stands comparison with similarly priced APS-C SLR kits.

Main problem I saw was the cost and limited choice of lenses - but if the format establishes successfully that will improve.
 Micro four thirds camera? - rtj70
The format has been around for some years now. I got my Panasonic Lumix G2 in the summer of 2010 and it had been around a while then. But still limited to lenses from Panasonic and Olympus. Or use an adapter for another lens mount but lose a lot of the benefits of the format - smaller lenses.
Latest Forum Posts