Non-motoring > Time for a new telly. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 65

Time for a new telly. - Dog
My 32" Panasonic LCD is about 5 years old now, and I fancy a Plasma 42 incher.

This seems to do the job OK ~ goo.gl/04grp (Amazon)

Can one do any better for that sort of money?
 Time for a new telly. - Robin O'Reliant
5 years old?

It's only just run in. Get a grip man, and spend the money on some winter tyres instead.
T'was a toss up between a new dog or a new telly (more crap or more carp!)
 Time for a new telly. - henry k
Seems to be some complaints about buzzing in the Amazon reviews.
Older ears might not notice it. Our previous old TV had some sort of buzzing even on standby and when my daughter visited us one of the first thing she always did was to power that TV off.
Re repairs. I have just taken a 50" Plasma Panasonic for repairs and my man says he, as an unapproved agent, cannot get access to any software/ upgrades/ spares etc.
I hope my new Panasonics last a while.
 Time for a new telly. - Stuartli
The buzzing on some Panasonics is a known fault and dealers' workshop staff have a cure issued by Panasonic.

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231956&page=161
Noted, and thanks!
 Time for a new telly. - Meldrew
I recommend checking this firm out

www.richersounds.com/

Their prices are keen, they have been in business about 20 years and they don't over charge for the warranty. Unlike Argos Comet etc these people charge 10% of the purchase price for a 5r year repair or replace warranty and if you don't claim you get your premium refunded at the end of the 5 years

www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/lg/42pt353k/lg-42pt353
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 12:18
 Time for a new telly. - sherlock47
Remember that John Lewis will price match to Richer Sounds (or any other retailer with stock, and a high street retail presence) and then give you a genuine 5 year free warranty.
 Time for a new telly. - Dutchie
We bought from John Lewis.42 inch Toshiba LCD.5 year guarantee plus stand.

Telly is two years old good picture.
 Time for a new telly. - John H
>> John Lewis will price match to Richer Sounds (or any other retailer with stock, and a high street retail presence) and then give you a genuine 5 year free warranty. >>

.... but only if the other retailer quotes a price including a 5 year guarantee.

"If you see or buy a product online and find it cheaper with a high street competitor (whether or not they also sell online), as long as their service conditions are comparable, then we’ll match that price for you or refund the difference. Comparable service conditions include factors such as:

delivery charges and timescales
guarantees provided free or at a charge
fitting or installation services, including accreditation of fitters, scope of workmanship, materials used and timescales"

www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/05/john-lewis-never-knowingly-undersold
"John Lewis had made a fundamental change to its policy.

In a statement in September, which at the time drew positive headlines, it said it would for the first time match online prices from other retailers as long as they also had a physical high street presence. What was made less clear was that the store would no longer match a price unless its rival offers the exact same warranty.

The policy change might not sound much, but it in effect allows the store to avoid almost all price matching of electrical items – because John Lewis has adopted a policy of offering two-year warranties on almost every such item. Most stores in the UK offer just one year.

When we first raised the reader's complaint with John Lewis it told us: "As part of our commitment to be never knowingly undersold, we match prices based on the combined cost of the product plus charges the competitor may make for a comparable warranty or guarantee. We evaluate price-match claims on a like-for-like basis, and breakdown cover is a crucial part of our proposition to our customers.""
Check out John Lewis prices but be aware they can change daily.
When I went there the gave a written guarantee re the price - valid for IIRC 30 days .
They were THE cheapest I could find anywhere when I bought one of my sets.
Tesco were by far the most expensive of any well known source - 20% more.
Panasonic seem to change their models very very often. I bought our last one from Amazon as it was very heavily discounted as an old model. It was new inspite of what the website stated. worth investigating?
 Time for a new telly. - Meldrew
tinyurl.com/7h2g9tc Bargain at Currys
 Time for a new telly. - Zero
Panasonic have developed a reputation for not delivering updates and features that have been promised - prevalent on newer models.
 Time for a new telly. - Clk Sec
It might be worth checking your local stockists to see what they have on offer. We bought our Panasonic 42" telly and BluRay recorder about 18 months ago and saved around £300 on the best on-line price available at that time.

The television also came with a 5 year guarantee.
 Time for a new telly. - John H
>> Check out John Lewis prices but be aware they can change daily. >>

"Our Never Knowingly Undersold commitment means that as we match prices nationally, prices in our shops and online will go down (and up) accordingly."

I have seen them change three or four times in a day on some products.

Time for a new telly. - mikeyb
Has anyone had to use the 5 year warranty towards the end with JL ?

I ask because a friends parents were left very dissapointed when their 4.5 year old LCD TV could not be repaired. They were told it was BER and given some vouchers that would equate to its value at 4.5 years old (about £50 IIRC) and not a replacement / vouchers to the value of its original cost

Now I did hear this second hand from the friend and not the parents, and TBH didn't sound like something the JL would do (DSG maybe) so I wondered if anyone else had a positive / negative experience of the 5 year warranty.

I bought a Panny 46" plasma about 12 months ago from a panasonic store - they were chucking in a free 5 year warranty to, and they are my local service center so said any problems would be rectified direct by them.

Also worth noting that the big currys down here, next to JL are now chucking in a free 5 year warranty of any TV over 699 - think its just a local offer as they are next to JL
>> Check out John Lewis prices but be aware they can change daily. >>

We noticed this when we bought an electric shower recently, though not from John Lewis. There was a lapse of a couple of days or so between viewing the item and placing the order, in which time the purchase price had dropped by £20.
 Time for a new telly. - Bigtee
Just got a LG 42" LED tv seems ok for us 1080 res easy to set up and nice picture, bought from Currys.
Thanks for all the replies, a buzzing TV would annoy me (like the PVR did) so I’ll have to check out the Sony’s etc.,

The LG that Mel posted looks good, I have a problem with LG in that I see it as coming 2nd to Japanese brands – I live in the past see! I have an LG DVD recorder that cost me all of £50, and its as good as gold.

I’ve used Richer Sounds before – London Bridge, and in Plymouth = very good!

I’ve used John Lewis a couple of times over the years once for a fridge and recently for a Levi sweat shirt (£50) which was very good quality compared to the cheap junk I usually buy.

I’ve got a Sony centre down here, so I’ll see if they can match the on-line prices.
 Time for a new telly. - devonite
If you really watch the "Idiots Lantern" as little as you say, I would make do with 32", and use the £550 notes to have 10days in Tenerife instead!
>> a buzzing TV would annoy me

And me. No such problem with the LCD / LED Viera mentioned above, and my wife can hear a pin drop half a mile away.

Pardon...
 Time for a new telly. - RattleandSmoke
I always try and use Richersounds if I can, but I like to support the business. Probably spend around £500 a year in Richersounds.

Recently bought a new Marantz amp form them.

PS They have been going for well over 30 years now, I think he opened his first shop in 1978.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 14:16
 Time for a new telly. - devonite
I know someone who has a very cheap one, but its absolutely great! it`s an Italian make called "Taglia".
>>If you really watch the "Idiots Lantern" as little as you say, I would make do with 32", and use the £550 notes to have 10days in Tenerife instead!<<

Done Tenerife m8 - lived there 3.5 years, friend in Brisbane has had rain, rain, and more rain + too hot at night.

I'm staying here ~ www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/6861598529/
 Time for a new telly. - Bigtee
I have that sofa but could do with that foot stool.!!
 Time for a new telly. - Armel Coussine
You're so rich Perro... I can't help wondering what's wrong with the old one. There must be years of life left in it. There's a flatscreen lcd one here that gets all the channels and has HD (no discernible difference in normal practice). And in the room I'm in now, a last-generation Sony digital flat widescreen tube, bulky and weighs about eight tons but perfectly acceptable for e.g. F1 which is what I use it for. An image that would have seemed state-of-the-art five years ago, and to me still does.

Anyone recall 9-inch monochrome 405-line? Now that was worth replacing.
>>Anyone recall 9-inch monochrome 405-line?

I can remember my parents' first television in the early 50's, but that had an even smaller screen - probably around 7" to 8".
 Time for a new telly. - Armel Coussine
>> I'm staying here ~ http:/

Superb mood-shot of your goolies Perro I can't help noticing... some sort of southern African pooch are you?

Heh heh...
 Time for a new telly. - R.P.
Superb mood-shot of your goolies Perro

That frightened me for a minute - nothing to contribute from me (other than JL give damned good service) so not really following the thread - - then I read AC's post in Latest Posts and wondered where on earth we'd drifted to and how !
He's getting on now (Dog) you can see a sort-of rupture near his exhaust pipe, It doesn't bother him though (not painful)

12 years is good for his breed and (as I say) he's the Mitsubishi Lancer of the k9 world (reliable and trouble free!)
 Time for a new telly. - Dulwich Estate
"I know someone who has a very cheap one, but its absolutely great! it`s an Italian make called "Taglia"."

Does it come with 13amp Fusilli? I bet it wasn't that cheap and cost a pretty Penne.
 Time for a new telly. - rtj70
What is the different between that Panasonic Plasma and this one:

www.johnlewis.com/231263085/Product.aspx

Apart from the model number being Panasonic Viera TX-P42S30B in my link. I ask because the JLP one will have a five year warranty.

I think it might just be USB recording (both might have that) and the THX certification which I doubt you need. I only scanned specs quickly. Both need a USB dongle for WiFi. The model I link to is also on Amazon but cheaper:

www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42S30B-42-inch-Plasma-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B004TFDSUQ/ref=de_a_smtd
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 21:30
Its certainly very con-fusing Rob, the other Panasonic to enter the equation is ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42UT30B-42-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B005GCXV0S/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329080167&sr=1-7

Which can be had for £500 from PC World, Currys and Dixons, it is 3D of course, which I would't really use,
but it still checks out well for 2D.
Can you get into a store to see one easily? I think they all have basically the same plasma panel but differences in other specs like THX certification, 3d, USB recording etc.

If you get a plasma from a store on the high street and intend taking it home yourself, remember to transport it upright. Unlike LCD TVs this is important for a plasma screen.
>>.....intend taking it home yourself, remember to transport it upright. Unlike LCD TVs this is important for a plasma screen.
>>
I asked my man about this, as I needed to transport son's 50" Panasonic Plasma to him for repairs)
He said it is an often repeated myth. Absolutely no problem carrying them flat.

plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-misconceptions.htmla
Lots more info re plasmas - an interesting read
 Time for a new telly. - CGNorwich

"He said it is an often repeated myth. Absolutely no problem carrying them flat."

Well this is what it says in your link!

"Fragile, yes - as two sheets of glass are compressed together to form the plasma display element. While they must be handled with care, the main consideration is keeping them upright. The plasma glass is weighty and can crack if a plasma television when laying face down is jarred or dropped. "
What prawn would carry it glass side down?

So far it has survived a 10 mile trip over Londons road humps.
I am not aware of any such transportation advice for LCDs.
 Time for a new telly. - CGNorwich
I wouldn't lay a large screen TV flat on its back or front. It puts the glass under stress and liable to crack. It's the same with transporting any large sheet of glass. Not a good idea. Surprised your repairman thinks otherwise.
 Time for a new telly. - Duncan
>> He said it is an often repeated myth. Absolutely no problem carrying them flat.
>>

If it's a myth, then it's a myth that was repeated to me by the man at Richer Sounds in Weybridge about three weeks ago.

He should know Shirley?
>>plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-misconceptions.htmla
Lots more info re plasmas - an interesting read<<

Good site - thanks!
>> I am not aware of any such transportation advice for LCDs.

That's because they are LCDs and not plasmas. It is all to do with how the plasma have cells containing the gases between two glass panels.

If it's a myth then a lot of places selling TVs are perpetuating the myth too.
A update.

>> >> I am not aware of any such transportation advice for LCDs.
>>
>> That's because they are LCDs and not plasmas. It is all to do with how
>> the plasma have cells containing the gases between two glass panels.
>>
>> If it's a myth then a lot of places selling TVs are perpetuating the myth
>> too.
>>

Well I again ignored the myths.
50inch Plasma repaired, loaded face up, flat, into an old Focus this time.
After a 10 mile trip including road humps it survived and is working well.

Well pleased it is all restored to health.
I obtained the main PCB from a UK company for £35 plus £4 p & p which I call a good buy.
Some labour costs to be added and job done.
What sort of sound/cinema system are you using henry?

I've signed up with Lovefilm this week and am watching Avatar again tonight, but in Blu-ray this time,

I decided I needed to 'up' the sound quality as well, so I dusted orf my 15 year old Arcam Alpha 7 amp and stuck a cheap pair of Sony speakers on the end of it, and ...

Wow! what a sound :)

I'm toying with the idea of buying a www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SC-HTB15EB-K-Speakers-Integrated-Subwoofer/dp/B005GCXUYK,

But I may just get the Arcam overhauled (pots have gorn to pot) and keep that.
>>What sort of sound/cinema system are you using henry?
>>
I have not got a lot of space so am still negotiating with SWMBO.
( Cant use my ancient Radford monitors )

I have to make do with visting son ( without SWMBO) who has a basement kitted out with a projector and about seven largish B & W speakers spread around and behind.
Most flat screen TV's have a correspondingly flat sound, so any external sound system such as a mini Hi-Fi is going to be an improvement,

I've just found out (via the ww) that my pots are actually OK, and its the selector switch that is faulty,
so I've plugged the phono leads into Aux instead, and - Avatar here we come!
>>Both need a USB dongle for WiFi.
>>
Panasonic dongle
www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DY-WL10E-K-Facilitates-Wireless-Capability/dp/B003922QY4/ref=pd_cp_computers_2
It was £90 when I was in the market - now £65+
I bought a Netgear dongle and it works perfectly.
www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RangeMax-Wireless-N-Adapter-WNDA3100v2/dp/B002RLC7WO/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_2
Much neater and cheaper at £27 than the Panasonic.
Thanks Rob and henry, I'll have to pop down to Currys etc. during the week so as to see them 'in the flesh'.

They do mess about with the specs so try to search online for reviews etc.
My model unusually has a swivel stand other very similar models did not.
Mine has a Sat tuner built in and two SCART sockets
Friend bought the next model released and that has no Sat tuner. It has one SCART (but two on the on screen menu.)
Model suffix letter(s) on the models indicated colour of the case - white, black, purple.
Mine is a fantastic gunmetal that has a 3D effect due to shaded spraying of the bezel.
All very confusing!
Your TV sounds top notch to me henry, I don't want to spend too much or she'll crown me ;)

I think I'll probably go with the Panasonic TX-P42G30B as it has THX certification, plus I don't really want 3D,

But if it buzzes, it can buzz orf!
 Time for a new telly. - Lygonos
If you're getting a 42" telly, and not watching Blu-ray or 'proper' HDTV make sure you're sitting at least 8-9 feet away or you'll see impressive pixelation.
>>make sure you're sitting at least 8-9 feet away or you'll see impressive pixelation<<

Yes, I do that, thanks.
>> THX certification

So what THX certified source are you using? And what media will it play. You seem to know the THX will benefit you. Star Wars fan?

www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/

I assume you have at least a 5.1 or even a 7.1 sound system to take advantage of the THX spec?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 23:41
>>I assume you have at least a 5.1 or even a 7.1 sound system to take advantage of the THX spec?<<

Good point! - I don't :)
reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-viera-g30-tx-p42g30b-review-50003809/
Some of the differences between models in this review

This is the company that always does a YouTube review.
They may have reviews on similar models.
www.soundandvision.co.uk/tv/plasma/panasonic-tx-p42g30-txp42g30-42-inch-tv-plasma-600hz-1080p-hd/review

The optional External hard drive format IIRC is not compatible with any PC.
The Skype camera is very expensive.

Some light reading re DLNA & Twonky.
www.swiftelectrical.net/pdf/DLNA.pdf
Last edited by: henry k on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 23:14
Thanks henry, I'm still not 100% sure about 'going Plasma', I can see from reading many reviews that there are issues with Plasma (in my price range) such as the buzzing and viewing with any background light or daylight will effect the definition, so I'm going to sleep on it for now, and who knows - I may even go back to LCD :)
 Time for a new telly. - Iffy
Size matters.

For £500+ you will get a quality 43" plasma/LCD/LED and I reckon you will be pleased with it whatever type of screen you buy.

I went from an old 28" flatscreen to my new big LG telly and the improvement was huge, allied to signing up for high definition content from Sky.

Internet on the telly is a waste of space, particularly for you with a rural speed connection.

A Freeview HD tuner would be much more use.

Most of the new generation of tellys require some picture tuning, so don't be too disappointed if the picture is garbage when it comes out of the box.

My LG was default set to super dim eco mode, made worse by the fact it also responds to light levels in the room.

Switching it to 'cinema' or 'sport' soon sorted it.

Some people individually tune saturation, contrast and all sorts of things, but I was happy enough with one of the presets.

I think you're right Iffy.

Someone like me (pita!) who spends 16 hours (yesterday) researching A/V on the internet is going to come up with all manner of views/opinions,

I'm 'the type' who back in the 70's did the same with Hi-Fi, then sat back and listened to the technical performance rather than the musical content :(

That's me though, a typical Virgo, if there ever was one!
 Time for a new telly. - Duncan
Some TVs are delivered in 'showroom' mode. They need to be set to 'home', or whatever the other setting is.
lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml
Ah! - things are looking good, a friend who has been Plasma since the year dot has put me on to:
www.hbh-woolacotts.co.uk/ and they will match any internet price, good innit :)
 Time for a new telly. - Iffy
'Free delivery and installation.'

I'd have some of that - see picture tuning above.

So ... I trooped along to my local Panasonic/Sony specialist and looked at some lanterns (idiot!)

I decided to stay with Panasonic, and the choice came down to either the TXP 42G30B Plasma,
or the TXL 42E30B LED/LCD.

Both excellent TV's but I preferred the more natural colours/skin tone of the Plasma over the L/LCD,
I also found the SD picture on the Plasma much better than the same on L/LCD.

I paid £550 for the Plasma 42G30B, and that included delivery + installation.

I also gave em my 'old' telly, for which they delivered & installed a nice new DMP-BDT110 Blu-ray player.

We've had the telly 3 days now, and are more-than pleased with it.
 Time for a new telly. - Crankcase
Still Eastenders though, innit.
>>Still Eastenders though, innit.<<

Or Judge Judy!

:o)
 Time for a new telly. - Dutchie
You like Judge Judy Dog you're type.>)
Cant stand the woman Ducky (she's OK really)

'The Wife' watches it every evening :(
Latest Forum Posts