Non-motoring > Whitney Houston. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 56

Whitney Houston. - Bigtee
What a loss of a great singer.

www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-whitney-houston-20120211,0,1429262.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)
 Whitney Houston. - MD
das wot da drugs do.
She looked rough in Saturdays paper coming out of a night club.
 Whitney Houston. - Harleyman
>> das wot da drugs do.
>>

Sadly, it doesn't seem to deter people.

Heartless though it may seem, commercial radio is going to be even less bearable for the next few weeks.
 Whitney Houston. - Iffy
Waste of a good voice - in her prime and in her decline.

Whitney Houston. - Stuu
Always a loss when they are that young, 48 is no age really.
 Whitney Houston. - Duncan
Lots of coverage on the BBC News channel.

Is this the most important thing that has happened in the world today?
 Whitney Houston. - Roger.
Main news?
Not by a long way - I only knew of her from her film role in "The Bodyguard", but she was a decent singer and a not unattractive woman when in her prime.
 Whitney Houston. - Dog
>>Always a loss when they are that young, 48 is no age really.<<

Depends, some people can live 3 lifetimes in 48 years, our care should not be to have lived long as to have lived enough.
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
Very sad indeed. Her vocie was an acquired taste and I never acquired it. Her murder of Dolly Parton's "I will always love you" is a case in point.
 Whitney Houston. - Zero
Dolly Parton has a couple of fine points.
 Whitney Houston. - RattleandSmoke
Sad but I never really got her. People used to play her at school and I thought this was damn awful. Some of her late 90's stuff is just bad it has to be a low point in pop music.

Its a shame when so many people in the music industry die young because of drugs.
 Whitney Houston. - mikeyb
I though that she was OK, nthing more, nothing less. Quite liked the film "the bodyguard".

TBH the writing has been on the wall for this one for some time, and it was a case of when, not if.

I feel for her family having to go through this, and the likely media circus that will now commence - bound to be a few unpleasant facts coming out that will not benefit anyone by being published
 Whitney Houston. - Zero
She had a fine voice, from a great pedigree, the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, cousin of Dionne Warwick, and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.

She did produce some really good songs, Saving All My Love for You, How Will I Know, You Give Good Love, and The Greatest Love of All, Where Do Broken Hearts Go are all powerfully performed songs in anyone's book.

But she turned into a god-awful diva and that was her deserved comeuppance.

Punk was and always has been the low point in pop music. It cant get much lower than that.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 13:29
>> Dolly Parton has a couple of fine points.
Actually, they are rather blunt, rounded points - it was Madonna who had the pointy ones!
 Whitney Houston. - Dutchie
Dolly Parton a woman to cuddle up to.

Sad about Whitney Houston all the money and fame didn't save her or made her happy.
Its a shame when so many people in the music industry die young because of drugs.

Has this been confirmed yet Ratts?

Best not let her legal team see your comment!! ;-)
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
Don't worry Rats - She was a self confessed pill/pot/coke (insert substance of your choice) head. She won't sue.
 Whitney Houston. - Dutchie
Don't give Rats anymore worries he already has Rob.>:)
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
"Is this the most important thing that has happened in the world today? "

Another, more significant, death buried in the news...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17001855
 Whitney Houston. - Iffy
...She won't sue...

Particularly while she remains dead.

Whitney Houston. - devonite
Poor lass! - well at least now she`s found "Somebody to dance with" - St Peter.!
 Whitney Houston. - BiggerBadderDave
'Her murder of Dolly Parton's "I will always love you" is a case in point.'

Absolutely. Couldn't stand that noise. I loved Dolly Parton from the age of probably 4 or 5. Jolene and I Always Love You were embed into my psyche for 4 decades.

But destroying a wonderful song by wobbling and wibbling... Yuck.

Houston, we have a problem.
 Whitney Houston. - Armel Coussine
>> Houston, we have a problem.

Agreed BBD. I didn't really rate her as a singer, and I don't like overdeveloped, 'artistic' soul music much either. I'd rather hear decent carpkicking C&W any day. Nine to Five showed Dolly Parton at her bright-eyed, bushy-tailed best.
 Whitney Houston. - Zero

>> I'd rather hear decent carpkicking C&W any day. Nine to
>> Five showed Dolly Parton at her bright-eyed, bushy-tailed best.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxLi7VgezA

Just about sums up C&W
>> Just about sums up C&W

Not really Zeddo, as you must know perfectly well. As with any genuinely popular music in a populist country, (blues and jazz can be incredibly crass lyrically) the lyrics can often be silly, syrupy and annoying.

But that utterly clunking beat is out of the ordinary. Even with the most sentimental and useless lyric, there will quite often be some sort of decent string-plucker or violin player or both. As you must know perfectly well. But if you are happier with doleful 'artistic' soul and rock music, so be it. It's your right to be wrong. 'Square like a bear' as we used not to say.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 18:46
 Whitney Houston. - Zero
C&W is ALL about the lyrics. Death, despair, hardship, misfortune,

Its music to hang yourself by. Worthy of scorn and ridicule.

I do however happen to like the purer Bluegrass. Proper american folk music without all those kitsch rhinestone covered poofy "Marlboro Men"
>> Death, despair, hardship, misfortune,

>> Its music to hang yourself by.

Yes, there's a lot of truth in that. It used to drive me mad in America when I had to listen to it all the time having a crap radio in the car. Twenty four hours from Tulsa, shudder...

All the same I warm to some of the simpler and musically better examples when pressed to appreciate more pretentious fare. A rubbishy lyric is unimportant if the steel guitar chaps are really up to it, as they often are. There are C&W singers too who can twang nicely.

I think you take these gludgy lyrics too seriously Zeddo. I hardly listen to them myself.
 Whitney Houston. - smokie
This track was on every other record on the radio when I did my "road trip" a couple of years ago. He's country, and I like it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfKfZHUg84

Loved the humour in some of the country songs.
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
@ Zero and AC

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHyRfh1eTGg
 Whitney Houston. - Zero
@ AC @ RP

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5jarRec3qo&feature=related
:o}
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
:-)
 Whitney Houston. - corax
>> Absolutely. Couldn't stand that noise.

+1.

It seriously gave me ear ache. Something about the tone.
 Whitney Houston. - swiss tony
When will people learn?
Recreational drugs kill.
If they don't kill you physically then they ruin your life, and that of those close to you.

I don't just mean the 'hard' stuff - any drug can lead you down that path, from fags, alcohol, the odd joint here and there.
Some people can just about control the 'light' stuff, but as soon as you start on the real hard ones, your life is on a downward track.

So sad....
 Whitney Houston. - Dave
I saw her in concert at wembley, must have been around 94/95. Wasn't a great fan, but free tickets courtesy of my now ex-father in-law, so why not.

She sang hardly any of the popular stuff, and about 30 seconds into each song the band would carry on playing very quietly while she talked about god. Then she'd sing a few bars, then preach again. She even brought her baby up on stage and told us all about him/her.

At one point I shouted 'get on with it' and half the stadium looked round at me.
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
At one point I shouted 'get on with it' and half the stadium looked round at me.

I had a similar experience at a Clapton concert - but I'll save it for the "most embarrassing moment" thread if anyone ever starts one.
Ah yes, artistic rock'n'roll is just as bad, 'world's greatest guitarist' or no...

Johnny Winter. Chuck Berry. And many another...
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
Clapton just is the greatest though.
Mmmmm...
Hey diddle diddle................................. www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uADPVzXFU
 Whitney Houston. - Lygonos

tinyurl.com/whitney-greatest-hits

Cruel -but true!
 Whitney Houston. - Lygonos

Let's up the ante then, with a sequel:

tinyurl.com/whitney-bodyguard-2

The Bodyguard is showing now on ITV2.
That WAS quick!
 Whitney Houston. - Harleyman
>> Clapton just is the greatest though.
>>

I tend to prefer one who's a little less well known, but universally admired by all the best......

....Albert Lee.
 Whitney Houston. - Dog
>>Albert Lee<<

Say n'more squire!
At a jazz club I frequented, many years ago, the late George Melly was appearing.
After a few bars of his performance a very loud voice (beer fuelled, I guess) shouted out the immortal lines: "Tek yer munneh and go ome" (Best Nottinghamshire accent)
It was not I who uttered, but he was truly awful!
This is THE version of I will always....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVS9QX3W5g
 Whitney Houston. - R.P.
Spot on. Dolly said somewhere that she was forever thankful to Whitney ruining her song - the royalties kept rolling in on the back of it !
 Whitney Houston. - Zero
>> This is THE version of I will always....
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVS9QX3W5g

Oh my god, that sounds like someone is stuffing Pats hedgehog up her cats ass. Its trully AWFUL - off key warbling. You lot are seriously sick if you think that's better than the Whitney version.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Feb 12 at 21:12
Of course the point is it's a totally rubbish song fit only for an offkey screamer.
 Whitney Houston. - Meldrew
People are a bit strange. I have just seen newsreel footage of crowds outside WH's hotel. For what - she's not about to come out and sign autographs! I then learned that it was so they could watch a small white van, allegedly with her body inside, being driven away.
 Whitney Houston. - Dog
I can understand that Mel - back in the 80's (I think it was) I said to my wife "If Pink Floyd ever disbanded, life wouldn't be worth living".

Crazy, now when I think of it - but I meant it!
 Whitney Houston. - VxFan
A sad day for music fans.

Jedward are still alive.
 Whitney Houston. - corax
>> A sad day for music fans.
>> Jedward are still alive.

They appeared as one of Chris Tarrants hates in Room 101. A great new series, even better and funnier than the Paul Merton version.
 Whitney Houston. - CGNorwich
Whatever happened to Nick Hancock who originally hosted the show?
Latest Forum Posts