Non-motoring > Take the bus ......... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 23

Take the bus ......... - L'escargot
At the top of the page, the advertisement says "Take the bus and you can save around £150 per month". That's rubbing my nose in it because the nearest bus-stop is 2 miles away!
 Take the bus ......... - Clk Sec
Take the bus and walk. Save £150 per month and get fit into the bargain.

Now that's not a bad deal.
>> Take the bus and walk. Save £150 per month and get fit into the bargain.
>>
>> Now that's not a bad deal.

Not everyone is physically capable of walking very far.
 Take the bus ......... - VxFan
>> Not everyone is physically capable of walking very far.

I thought you snails slithered, not walked?
 Take the bus ......... - swiss tony
>> At the top of the page, the advertisement says "Take the bus and you can
>> save around £150 per month". That's rubbing my nose in it because the nearest bus-stop
>> is 2 miles away!
>>

Because of the weather, I have been taking the bus. (bit icy for 2 wheels.....)
And getting to work late, because the 1st bus I need to make the connection doesn't exist....
ie, the first bus past my gaff passes my house, the same time as the connecting bus leaves the bus station (2 miles away...)

Plus.... the timetable is a work of pure fiction... buses seem to run on a +/- 10-15 minute schedule round here....
 Take the bus ......... - R.P.
No bus service at all here.
 Take the bus ......... - Dutchie
Bus stop five minute walk from our house.

For lugging shopping always use the car.
 Take the bus ......... - Westpig
>> No bus service at all here.

I thought that on the place we're moving to...until I looked at this:

www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?cacheparam=6&&repeatingloop=Y
Last edited by: Westpig on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 10:18
 Take the bus ......... - Meldrew
I have no idea what the temperature is, inside my local bus! It is an hour in the bus and free and 15 minutes and some petrol to my nearest town so the car tends to be the choice.
>> www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?cacheparam=6&&repeatingloop=Y
>>

I tried it for a journey I make regularly and it said "Sorry we are unable to obtain transport options for your journey".
 Take the bus ......... - Skip
Busses are only any use if you have nowhere important to go and in are no hurry to get there.
>> Buses are only any use if you have nowhere important to go and in are
>> no hurry to get there.
>>

Or if you haven't got a car, or if you haven't got a driving licence, or if you have a physical affliction which you prevents you from driving, of if .........
 Take the bus ......... - Dutchie
Or you can't afford a car and there will be more and more people who drive uninshored not taxed etc.
 Take the bus ......... - R.P.
1 Bus, Walk 1 10:39 12:04 1 hour 25 mins
2 Bus, Walk 1 11:06 12:34 1 hour 28 mins
3 Bus, Walk 1 11:37 13:04 1 hour 27 mins
4 Bus, Walk 1 12:00 13:20 1 hour 20 mins
5 Car 0 10:35 10:59 24 mins / 15.0miles

Sums it up - the journey to work. The bus option involves a 24 minute walk.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 10:53
 Take the bus ......... - Iffy
Park and rides seem to work well.

Take the bus ......... - Clk Sec
>>Park and rides seem to work well.

I think that I would prefer to do one thing or the other. Either take the bus or take the car.
 Take the bus ......... - Meldrew
Or if you have a week's supermarket shopping to carry home in flimsy placcy bags!
 Take the bus ......... - Roger.
.and don't mind mixing with the hoi polloi! ;-()
 Take the bus ......... - Zero
>> www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?cacheparam=6&&repeatingloop=Y

great site.

Not

It seems to think it takes 23 minutes to walk to my station, whereupon it only takes 10 minutes. It then offered me a chance to buy the walking direction app for my Iphone at £1.99

I declined.

I tested it on a journey, it got the train options wrong, and it got the bus options wrong. Pretty good going for a public transport planner.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 12:16
 Take the bus ......... - RattleandSmoke
I have been using the bus all week because I didn't have the car, only got it back yesterday.

All the buses have turned up on time, but it has caused some issues, e.g from suburb x to suburb y can be tricky if it not on a direct bus route.

I use the trams frequently as well.

The most annoying thing about the bus is I have to allow much extra time to get to places. One of the bus stops is 7 minutes walk from my house, , then the bus is every 15 minutes. I can drive to there destination in 15 minutes.

For the city centre the bus service is great, very frequent but it can be slow so I prefer to get the tram as I can time it better.

For me I use all forms of transport, I just work out which is the best one for that journey.
 Take the bus ......... - sajid
or get a moped
 Take the bus ......... - Ted

I usw the tram for a lot of my work in the city, unless I need tools. It takes me about 5 minutes to walk to the terminus near home and there's a tram waiting, usually.

I can get to all my city jobs from a tram stop. The furthest jobs are 3 to 4 hudfred yards away The Saford Quays car is on the station car park.

It's all free to us elderly Mancunians.

Ted
 Take the bus ......... - AnotherJohnH
Mobility scooter may be an option for the cheeky.

No parking worries..

Charge up for pennies

:-)
 Take the bus ......... - Bromptonaut
On a stopping route between Northampton and Daventry. One bus an hour each way 06:00 to 18:00. Passes station but no coordination with 3 trains/hour to both London & Brum. £5++ return is way over fuel only cost; even those paying for parking are only charged a small premium for convenience.

Now a service every 20mins running to 21:00 would get even the train commuters out of their cars - but at what cost in subsidy?

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 11 Feb 12 at 21:29
Latest Forum Posts