Non-motoring > Swearing in company of others Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 60

Swearing in company of others - bathtub tom
Pat said in another thread: "a lot of them would automatically moderate their language when talking to me".

I rarely swear, although my daughter did comment 'I didn't know dad used words like that' when I broke my thumb after hitting it with a hammer.

I've also noticed most people will moderate their language in my company, with the exception of a couple who, I guess, are either ignorant or trying to provoke me.

Anyone else noticed?
 Swearing in company of others - RattleandSmoke
I do occasional swear depending on the situation. I am prone to swearing if I am stressed. Generally I don't swear and never in front of other people unless are as drunk as me!.

It is pointless really but I don't get offended by a bit of swearing unless its constant. E.g using the F word every two seconds. I have noticed a lot of people in the motor industry like to use F word every two seconds.

Every part is an e***** this and an e***** that.
 Swearing in company of others - Stuu
I tend to swear at home, as does my wife, but not much, though theres no taboo in my house about it, its usually when one drops something etc. We dont swear as a matter of normal conversation, unlike many people I came across in the motor trade.

I do not however swear AT people, especially when angry, I consider that to be unnecessarily rude.

It also depends on the people Im with as I refrain from swearing around my customers and all family members I can think of.

I can live without it though. Not keen on kids swearing, its not cute.
 Swearing in company of others - VxFan
I come from an engineering background where nearly every other word uttered in the workshop by my fellow colleagues began with an F.
I've generally manage to moderate my language in the presence of others that I know find swearing offensive. Just as well, as when I was surplace to requirements in my previous job I was moved to a shared office with two middle aged women. Although one of the women occasionally let out the odd swear word - lol.
Only ever used mild expletives in front of my parents.
In short,
If I'm in the presence of people (men or women) who swear like troopers, then so will I.
If I'm in the presence of older people, or where there are ladies present, then I moderate my language, likewise if family or children are present.

Back to my engineering background. We had a bloke join us for approx 3 months. He hardly ever swore when he first started working with us. Soon though he joined in with the rest of us. At home one evening, he said something along the lines of "what a load of f****** s*** on the TV tonight". "BRIAN!" she shouted. Turned out he had never previously sworn in front of his wife in the 30+ years of marriage.
I think we were a bad influence on him, Oops - ;o)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 12:44
 Swearing in company of others - Meldrew
I tend to say "Shoot" and other euphemisms rather then the real word. My late Mother had a rather endearing habit of saying "Swearword" and a few minutes later saying "Un-Swearword" when she had recovered!
 Swearing in company of others - Crankcase
If you don't keep your own personal verbal H-bomb in your toolkit for very occasional use, how will you express yourself when the chips are down?

Anyway, it's the feeling behind it rather than the words. Father in law never swore, but if he said "hells bells and buckets of blood" you knew he was really angry.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 13:23
 Swearing in company of others - sooty123
I swear lots at work, amongst those I work with directly and infront of the bosses, most of the time I don't really notice it's that common. Also social when out and about with them. It's very much the done thing, no doubt very similar type of environment to Vxfan, at times a very non pc place, with lots of off colour jokes. I guess a lot depends on what sort of work environment you work in, and what's allowed. The only time I really notice is when for example the cleaner comes in, I try and watch what I'm saying but many don't and just carry on.
 Swearing in company of others - Armel Coussine
I have several quite bad habits. One of the worst is the use under nearly all circumstances of highly intemperate 'obscene' language. It isn't that I can't say things without e***** and blinding. It's something more like what my wife accuses me of: Tourette's. But it isn't really that either. It's just slobbishness and being basically twelve years old.

I am often criticized for it of course. My wife once told me in some irritation that a child or grandchild aged two or three had exclaimed 'Uck!' in a moment of annoyance, which she rightly believed to be my fault. But I have always urged the nippers to do as I say, not as I do, and as a rule they don't cuss themselves. It isn't hard for them to understand that what a horrible old brute can get away with isn't going to sound good from a beautiful young lady.
 Swearing in company of others - WillDeBeest
...I tend to say "Shoot" and other euphemisms rather then the real word.

Ugh! If you're moved to swear, no-one is impressed by or grateful for a mealy-mouthed alternative. One of the Beestlings picked up 'darn', presumably at school. Maiden Aunt here won't let me write what I told him I'd rather hear him say - rhymes with 'duck', of course - so long as he picked his moments and didn't overdo it.
 Swearing in company of others - Runfer D'Hills
You should have a go in one of those ducking Mercs before you make your mind up WDB...

Dashed good they are.

:-)
 Swearing in company of others - L'escargot
Why do most current comedians swear as part of their act? Comedians of yesteryear didn't swear.
 Swearing in company of others - R.P.
I swear occasionally, although trying to moderate it, I went through a phase of very bad language in the days after my first wife died - my BiL (who I've never heard swear was visibly shocked) - this was a debate this morning in the work-place - the women seem to swear more than me (there was a comment about this yesterday as in "I heard RP swear so it must have been bad") - but there was quite bad language from the women today (all middle aged Mail readers). There is a 23 year old bloke that works with us - I've heard him swear twice - both after frustrating clients - one was the F word and the other a Welsh swear word which roughly translated means "lamb's willy" (but rolled into one word) - it was quite amusing really.

Added to this is a particular complication of the town where I work - the C word is in widespread use on the street there - it's seen as a term of endearment "S'mai C***" (How are you C***) - they even mutate the c to a g when talking about a woman - proper Welsh grammar that.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 14:03
 Swearing in company of others - Westpig
>> Added to this is a particular complication of the town where I work - the
>> C word is in widespread use on the street there - it's seen as a
>> term of endearment "S'mai C***" (How are you C***) -

RP,

You don't fool me that easily. That's your attempt to get an Englishman to roll up in a Welsh town, call a local a c***.....and then read about the aftermath in a local paper.

;-)
Very funny Westpig.

:o}
It's true though - I've never, ever been in any townscape where there is such prolific swearing....
>> It's true though - I've never, ever been in any townscape where there is such prolific swearing....

That is in fact also my experience. Fishguard, and Pembrokeshire in general, seemed surprisingly free-spoken to me when I arrived there in 1949 aged just under 11. I was soon in the County Grammar in a class of children a year or two older than me, some of them super-tough farm kids who claimed frequently, and in the most unambiguous terms, to be sexually active as well as highly nationalistic and no respecters of crappy little English teachers' pets who knew all the lessons already... some were mean, stupid and terrifying, others fortunately were bigger-hearted.

But it was all a bit of a shock to a ten-year-old. Yet another goddam baptism of fire, I wasn't old enough to realize yet...
>> others fortunately were bigger-hearted.

The girls on the whole were less scary than the boys. Marlene Matthias even danced with me at the school party. Of course I couldn't dance, and I don't suppose she could really either.

'There's dull I feel,' she said rather unkindly I thought. No doubt she had spotted her friends giggling as I stumbled over her feet. But she must have been a nice girl in her way. Charitable.
www.chavtowns.co.uk/2005/10/caernarfon-north-wales/

An insight.
 Swearing in company of others - CGNorwich
According to "chavtowns" every town in the country falls within that category

www.chavtowns.co.uk/2004/08/windsor/
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 19:21
 Swearing in company of others - Dog
Can you translate this reply Pugley? cau dy geg y gontan drewi budur!!! di huna digon chav i chdi boi
I'd rather not - it is incredibly rude outside the town walls - but normal within....

Apparently its along the lines of

"Shut you mouth you big fat (insert the feminine version of the the C word mutated correctly in this case to the same word starting with g) smelly dirty (?) - Is that chav enough for you."

The town's habit has spawned a Youtube sketch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNBS03yxik

The "shop assistant" is the brother of Rhys Ifans (see various Hollywood films)

There is only one swear word in the sequence at the end.

Thanks Rob, looks like a nice part of the world actually.
 Swearing in company of others - Bromptonaut
>> Why do most current comedians swear as part of their act? Comedians of yesteryear didn't
>> swear.

I suspect that whether yesteryear's comedians swore depended on where they performed.

What's changed is the degree to which swearing is permitted in broadcasting and perhaps on the live stage too.

Might also depend how long ago yesteryear was - Blaster Bates swore like a trooper as long ago as the sixties.
I tend to use the f and b word a lot, but mainly at the telly/radio, especially when I hear that NATO murdered 8 children in Afghanistan yesterday (*********!)

I don't like to hear women (proper women) swear at all.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Feb 12 at 00:51
 Swearing in company of others - Pat
Neither do I Dog, I know it's sexist and I shouldn't say it but I don't like it and that's that.

With the lads I work with I wouldn't dream of asking them not to swear or even expecting them not to in front of me.
I choose to work in that environment and I respect that they welcome me into it but when one does moderate it, it's such a pleasure and appreciated greatly.

Pat
>>With the lads I work with I wouldn't dream of asking them not to swear or even expecting them not to in front of me<<

Precisely Pat, I'd start wondering about them if they didn't eff and blind now and again :)

I'll tell ya something that really annoys me ... when I'm listening to the radio, or even on the telly, and someone swears completely unnecessarily.

(see what living up here does to ya!)
 Swearing in company of others - Dutchie
Diana doesn't swear or very rarely she puts me right.I do sometimes did this morning seeing little kids in Syria on the news bloodied and scared. Godverdomme.(Dutch swearword.
 Swearing in company of others - VxFan
>> I don't like to hear women (proper women) swear at all
>> Neither do I Dog

+1.

Some of them have right gutter mouths on them and are worse than blokes that swear. It tends to be more the younger generation. God knows what their children will turn out like.
>> especially when I hear that NATO murdered 8 children in Afghanistan yesterday

An accident isn't murder, even if there was criminal negligence. Is there anyone in NATO who'd set out to kill 8 kids?
>>Is there anyone in NATO who'd set out to kill 8 kids?<<

Its my opinion, and its not the first time, in fact its been going on for 10 years now including in WMD Iraq but,
I'm sure NATO will say sorry.
 Swearing in company of others - Zero

>> I've also noticed most people will moderate their language in my company, with the exception
>> of a couple who, I guess, are either ignorant or trying to provoke me.
>>
>> Anyone else noticed?

To be honest, I have never been in your company, so I can say that I have not noticed.

You should hear the things they say about you behind your back tho
 Swearing in company of others - helicopter
Comedians of yesteryear didn't swear.........who are you kidding.

This guy did .... the legend that is Jimmy Jones ......I used to go to the Montague Arms in New Cross to watch him....

Warning - do not watch if easily offended. Very strong language and old fashioned racist comedy... makes Bernard Manning look like a saint.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zamXLRMwU
 Swearing in company of others - Crankcase
When recording was first invented, before Edison, and people were putting the very first words on disc for posterity, what do you think one of the first words was?

Hear it for yourself. Disc 3.

firstsounds.org/sounds/volta/
 Swearing in company of others - CGNorwich
"old fashioned racist comedy.."

Can racism,however old fashioned be comedy? Might have passed for it years ago but fortunately we've moved on a bit.
 Swearing in company of others - Manatee
>> Can racism,however old fashioned be comedy?

Racism might not be funny on its own, but there's a whole genre of jokes based on stereotypes, many of which may be considered racist and very funny. There was an Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman...
>> Can racism,however old fashioned be comedy?

Of course it can. Virtually anything can be funny in the right circumstance.

I've been watching a programme on the Royal Marines fighting in Afghanistan. A recent programme had the embedded journalist ask a marine "When are you going home then?" before the marine could answer, one of his mates said "In about 4 days time, in a wooden box"..there was a slight stunned silence, a couple of them grimaced, then they all laughed their heads off. Inappropriate humour?..or acceptable to the audience?

I can't be the only one that receives text jokes that you wouldn't dare speak about out loud, but you smirk and then get rid. It's the naughty schoolboy in most of us..doing something you shouldn't type thing.
 Swearing in company of others - smokie
I'm most definitely not anti swearing but I do think there are some good comedians who over-use swear words to the detriment of their act. Jimmy Carr for instance, very funny without the swearing, less so when he's swearing - just doesn't sound natural coming from him.
 Swearing in company of others - Runfer D'Hills
I don't swear much but if others do I put it down to life's rich 'king tapestry.
I swear too much.

Highlighted by my then 3 year old who couldn't get his wellington boot off..so went in to mummy in a rage and said "I can't get my ***** boot off".

My first though was hilarity....followed quickly by horror and shame.

I've given my missus full permission to pull me up about it on every occasion, I don't want my kids doing that...although amazingly he knows the boundaries very,very well, it was rage that let him down.

Strangely, although I use choice language in the circumstances that i feel are acceptable (i.e. I can easily tone it down if I have to)...I too don't like to hear it too much on the t.v.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Feb 12 at 00:50
I have a first class honours degree, and an extensive working knowledge in "Obscene". My east end background and too many years on the North Bank at Upton Park have honed such skills to perfection coupled with expert use of "Insult" I have managed to converse in "Obscene Insult" for 10 unbroken minutes.

I also know when and how to use it, although "Insult" sometmes creeps up on me in a Tourette's like syndrome.
That post must take the gong for the least informative of all time.

We know you do Z:)

Pat
Some may have mistaken me for softly and politely spoken Pat.
 Swearing in company of others - Harleyman
- just doesn't sound natural coming
>> from him.
>>

Carr's probably the least funny "comedian" I've ever heard, and my taste in comedy is pretty broad; so sorry but he just comes across as a loud squawky poof. I'm of the opinion that swearing has its place in stand-up, but it's no substitute for the natural ability for story-telling or good timing.

Bernard Manning, although much-maligned for his perceived racism, was a brilliant stand-up; Chubby Brown on the other hand tries to ape Manning's delivery and comes across as gross. Ken Dodd can have an audience in hysterics for hours and rarely uses a rude word; Tommy Cooper's biography reveals that he was not averse to using bad language but it didn't transfer to his stage act, and he was averse to rude gags.

I almost certainly swear too much, but I think there's a time and a place for it. I have to confess that my wife's vocabulary has broadened in this respect since we first met, but she assures me that this is more down to the fact that she now has the confidence to say out loud what she just thought beforehand!
I went to listen to Charlie Boorman a few months ago - very disappointed that the man chose to punctuate almost every paragraph with the F word - no need at all - the lady in the next seat to me was with her 12 year old son. I was embarrassed for her. No need for it, no need at all.
Likewise RP.
I went to see Judas Priest and Davis Coverdale a few years ago and what a dissapointment.

From the back of the NEC, David Coverdale looked exactly like he did in his hey day, long blonde flowing locks, legs right up to his bum then he opened his mouth to talk.

He wasn't like that in the '80's so why do it now?

On the other hand, good therapy after a bad day in the lorry was always a Kevin '******' Wilson CD on full blast and singing along to all the words I won't say:)

Pat

>>
>> On the other hand, good therapy after a bad day in the lorry was always
>> a Kevin '******' Wilson CD on full blast and singing along to all the words
>> I won't say:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Goes towards proving my point above, that bad language is aceptable in stand-up comedy if the material and the artiste can support it.

Kevin Wilson's a classic case of this; incidentally Pat as you'd probably guess he's ever funnier live, and having had the pleasure of meeting him backstage afterwards I can vouch for the fact that he's a very nice bloke with a genuine respect for his fanbase, something that's all too rare today.
I'd love to see him live.

I love his logic on life and things in general.

The telephone operator springs to mind...

Pat
>>I'd love to see him live.

Will this do Pat? cresset.ticketsolve.com/shows/126520525/events
That certainly will Tubby Tommy, on a Saturday and so local too.

I've just enjoyed a flick through some of his others on Dutchie's link and sat here chuckling away to myself, yet I clicked a Chubby Brown one and find him not funny and bordering on offensive.

One for the psychologists here to tell me why that is?
 Swearing in company of others - Lygonos
>> One for the psychologists here to tell me why that is?

Because you're still upset Santa didn't bring you a bike?

:-)
I'm having trouble coming to terms with a Doc who knows that song;)

Mine would be disgusted!

Pat
Agree Pat Chubby Brown the word vulgair in my opinion comes to mind.

Not funny.

>> One for the psychologists here to tell me why that is?
>>

Talent. Wilson has it, Brown hasn't.

I'm also minded to suspect that Chubby Brown isn't a likeable person off-stage either; that's not necessarily a bad thing in a comedian as many had their demons, but he strikes me as being the sort of man I'd cross the street to avoid.
 Swearing in company of others - Iffy
...but he strikes me as being the sort of man I'd cross the street to avoid...

Reminds me of when he was interviewed by police for allegedly assaulting his wife.

One exchange:

Policeman: "Come on Chubby, why did you hit your wife with a candlestick?"

Chubby: "Because I couldn't lift the sideboard."

Update: 4 seats booked in the front row:)

Thanks Tubby, I lead a sheltered life here and without you I wouldn't have known this was on locally!

Pat
>>Update: 4 seats booked in the front row:)

Thanks Pat, very generous of you. SWMBO and I will look forward to it. ;>)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYuPwX_zEJ0&feature=related

Never heard of Kevin Wilson.He is good <:)
 Swearing in company of others - henry k
Original from - Lygonos on another thread

youtu.be/dKV88nEMu50
With role models like this ..........
What can one e***** say.>:)
 Swearing in company of others - Cliff Pope
I never swear. But my wife says a look from me when I am (rarely) angered is the most terrifying thing she has ever seen.
Don't try this at home.
>> But my wife says a look from me when I am (rarely)
>> angered is the most terrifying thing she has ever seen.

It's probably the way you are holding the axe...;-)
Latest Forum Posts