Non-motoring > Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 19

Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Meldrew
"Being lonely in old age will propel you to the grave more quickly than smoking, a senior Downing Street adviser said as part of an effort to encourage people to retire later.

David Halpern, the director of Number 10's Behavioural Insight Team, said not having someone with whom to share problems was one of the most significant lifestyle factors affecting mortality."

What a crock of bovine nitrogenous waste products
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - madf
Dr Halpern is a typical academic whose experience of the real world outside academe.. is zilch...

"Dr David Halpern is a senior fellow at the Institute for Government, currently on secondment to both No.10 and the Cabinet Office full time as Director, Behavioral Insights Team, Chief Strategy Advisor, Cabinet Office and support on the Big Society and wellbeing agendas.

David previously worked as Chief Analyst in the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit (2001-2007). He led numerous reviews, including the UK Government's Strategic Audits and recent Policy Reviews; set up the Social Exclusion Task Force and drafted its Action Plan; and authored many of the Strategy Unit's most influential papers. Before entering government, he held tenure at the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, Cambridge University, where he still remains an Affiliated Lecturer. He has also held posts at Nuffield College, Oxford; the Policy Studies Institute, London; and as a Visiting Professor at the Centre for European Studies, Harvard. "

marketingtrendsplus.com/speakers/dr-david-halpern.php

Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - TheManWithNoName
Sounds like yet another over paid suit full of sod all, employed to tell us how to live our lives.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - AnotherJohnH
If what the man said was believed to be true by the decision makers we would be encouraged to retire to give jobs to the kids and die at the first opportunity saving pension payments. Win win.

Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Zero
The man talks sense. he is saying that every older man should take a mistress. I should be allowed one on the NHS if its a health risk.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - AnotherJohnH
What would Nicole make of that then, Z?

I'm sure she would be amused ...
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - swiss tony
>> What would Nicole make of that then, Z?
>>
>> I'm sure she would be amused ...
>>
I reckon she would be happy, one less chore around the house.... ;-)
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Zero
>> What would Nicole make of that then, Z?
#
mincemeat of me probably
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - -
Call me Dave's remark about underused bedrooms was interesting, presumably he'll be leading from the front by inviting a few dozen to abide in some his spare rooms then, which house though one of his own or one of his freebies.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Meldrew
A bit of singing from the same song sheet would help - a lot! One bit of Government says we should stop work to free up jobs for the young and another lot say we have to keep working longer to justify our pensions. Make up your stupid minds! Which is it?
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Dutchie
They can't make up their minds Meldrew politicians never do.B u l l s h i t t e r s.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Kevin
>David Halpern, the director of Number 10's Behavioural Insight Team,

Behavioural Insight?

Glub help us. He's surrounded by 650 liars, thieves and egotistical maniacs whose behaviour he probably considers normal!
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Armel Coussine
>> liars, thieves and egotistical maniacs

Egotistical is fine, but I do believe the other three words are unparliamentary and if uttered in the house can result in the utterer being put out by the serjeant at arms.

Of course we can say what we like short of sedition, incitement and so on. But it's small consolation for not being an MP. Some would think so anyway.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Lygonos
It's got nothing to do with being retired or not.

Plenty of studies show that, whether retired or not, keeping an active lifestyle up helps you live longer than sitting doing diddly all day.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Pat
Glad you approve of my decision to start my own little business after retirement Lygonos.....to fund my fags;)

Pat
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Lygonos
Absolutely!

Not only are you likely to remain away from doctors and hospitals by keeping yourself active, you are also being a productive member of society.

Additionally by continuing to smoke you help to keep my tax bills down, and by choosing a premature death, saving a fortune in pension payments.

;-)
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Pat
Touche!:)

Pat
>Some would think so anyway.

Only you AC. Only you.
 Latest Government Think-Tank Nonsense - Armel Coussine
>> Only you AC. Only you.

I was thinking of you actually Kevin. It's a long time since I fancied anything like that. Too idle for all the bureaucracy, too slow for the cut-and-thrust of the house, too naive and honest to keep my nose clean.
>I was thinking of you actually Kevin.

I'm flattered AC.
Latest Forum Posts