Non-motoring > Capello Resigns Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 71

Capello Resigns - Meldrew
1. Good thing/

2. Bad thing?

3. Nothing will change?
 Capello Resigns - Lygonos
Makes no sense at all that the FA remove the captaincy but say he can still play.

Capello will have no problem finding a job elsewhere.

The FA look like the pseudo-political non-footballers that many of them are.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 19:38
 Capello Resigns - Zero
The English FA are a bunch of useless bumbling amateur jobsworths. Always have been, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Clearly unfit to run such an organisation in the 21st century. To be frank they struggled in the 20th as well.
 Capello Resigns - swiss tony
>> 1. Good thing/
>>
>> 2. Bad thing?
>>
>> 3. Nothing will change?
>>

Who?
Just Googled - England footie manager, so that's why I've never heard of him.

Edit - and he isn't even English!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 19:45
 Capello Resigns - Iffy
The FA may have boxed quite clever.

Capello was a dead man walking - he was going anyway.

By inducing a resignation, the FA has almost certainly reduced the compo bill.

Capello Resigns - Lygonos
They don't care about the cost - as you'll soon see when they try to poach Redknapp.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
Redknapp will never become manager while he has a hole in his bum. There are a shed load more skeletons in that cupboard and the FA knows it.

In fact now the HMC&R case is over they can restart the bung enquiry that kicked it all of in the first place.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 19:55
 Capello Resigns - Iffy
...Redknapp will never become manager...

Hope you're right - come on you Lilywhites!

Capello Resigns - Zero
>>come on you Lilywhites!

Perfect cue for the ladies sanitary products jokes, but alas on here I cant.

Capello Resigns - Robin O'Reliant
Brooking as caretaker till after the Euros?

No matter who takes charge it won't disguise the fact that English players do not have the technical skills to win tournaments. They look good at club level because they are carried by their foreign team-mates.
 Capello Resigns - Armel Coussine
>> Redknapp will never become manager while he has a hole in his bum.

Far be it from me to cross swords with an expert, Zero, but why not? Actually it looked to me as if someone waited until he'd been absolved of sin before giving Capello the definitive boot. Plus, the Nipper wants him, he can speak English and doesn't need someone to make phone calls for him, and all the excrement about not being able to read, write or count, let alone getting away with a modest hundred grand and reputation intact, will really go down big with the mass of fans.

Skeletons in the cupboard are surely neither here nor there in the context of big national footer. Isn't the whole game, national and clubs, a colossal money pump absolutely rotten from top to bottom, FA suits down to lowly doped-up, diving players, sports hacks, the media in general, in fact a blight on society corroding the consciousness of the masses and promoting deplorable behaviour and attitudes inside and outside the stadium sometimes resulting in GBH, murder and widespread vandalism?

That's the way it always looked to me anyway.

:o}
 Capello Resigns - CGNorwich
"promoting deplorable behaviour and attitudes inside and outside the stadium sometimes resulting in GBH, murder and widespread vandalism? "

Not to mention dodgy nylon shirts and dubious catering
>> Far be it from me to cross swords with an expert,

Not a word I like really.......

Ex - Has been.
Spurt - Drip under pressure.

;-)
 Capello Resigns - Zero

>> Actually it looked to me as if someone waited until he'd been absolved of sin
>> before giving Capello the definitive boot. Plus, the Nipper wants him, he can speak English

many of the pedants on here would disagree.

>> and doesn't need someone to make phone calls for him,

Ah yes - the uncontrolled phone calls -

The FA want a think first speak later man. That's not in the Harry playbook
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
>
>> Skeletons in the cupboard are surely neither here nor there in the context of big
>> national footer. Isn't the whole game, national and clubs, a colossal money pump absolutely rotten
>> from top to bottom, FA suits down to lowly doped-up, diving players, sports hacks, the
>> media in general, in fact a blight on society corroding the consciousness of the masses
>> and promoting deplorable behaviour and attitudes inside and outside the stadium sometimes resulting in GBH,
>> murder and widespread vandalism?
>>
>> That's the way it always looked to me anyway.
>>
>> :o}

Oh - you are SO right, AC.
Regrettably most "traditional" sports such as cricket & rugby union, seem to be taking their cue from the "beautiful game".
 Capello Resigns - R.P.
He could barely speak English when he was employed - surely they could have found some proper home-grown talent...
Betting suspended on Harry Redknapp becoming next England manager

The Guardian‎ - 5 hours ago
Bookmakers have suspended betting on Harry Redknapp succeeding Fabio Capello in ... cut the odds on Redknapp being the next England manager from 2-1 to 1-3
 Capello Resigns - Dutchie
They looked in the past to homegrown talent RP didn't work either.England is a great footballing nation and the expectation of the football supporters is sky high.

Not speaking the English language is a bit of a no no.
I may have missed something but have England won anything meaningful, in football, since 1966?
 Capello Resigns - Zero
Absolutely nothing, zilch eff all.

More than the jocks tho who don't even qualify to fail.
Avram Grant is available.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>> Avram Grant is available.

I would have said he is many things. In fact I think I did in this very Forum. None of it was complimentary I seem to recall.
 Capello Resigns - Dutchie
England poor in the last worldcup under Capello.You are right Meldrew the top teams rely on foreigners to many, in my opinion to get anywhere.

It's all about the money.

Capello Resigns - Runfer D'Hills
I could do it for much less.

"Now then, you all know the drill. Kick that ball between those posts while making sure the other lot don't manage to kick it into our goal. You're all jolly well paid, most of you have done more or less nothing else in your lives and you know the rules backwards so off you pop, there's good chaps..."

"Oh and quit the rolling about in paroxysms of mock agony when you bump into one another, it doesn't become you."

"There, shall we say a mill?"

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 20:46
 Capello Resigns - rtj70
I think the FA have been quite clever. Force Capello out and that's blamed on Terry. So when England get knocked out at the group stages, Terry carries some of the blame. Genius you might say.

If anyone followed the new Sherlock series, I can see a quick recap of how the FA managed to do all this in the Sherlock style... including getting Redknap off by something they did three weeks ago.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 20:52
 Capello Resigns - Iffy
...I think the FA have been quite clever...

Bernstein - the bloke now in charge of the FA - is reckoned to be a sharp operator.

Capello Resigns - R.P.
Totally agree Humph.
 Capello Resigns - Focusless
>> I could do it for much less.

I thought you didn't like the beautiful game Humph? You're clearly an expert :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 21:24
 Capello Resigns - Runfer D'Hills
I don't but it doesn't seem very complicated !

:-)
 Capello Resigns - legacylad
Jessie J would concur.
surely they could have found some proper home-grown talent...

Well very few premiership clubs can. Only three English managers in the premiership. There are 6 Scots
 Capello Resigns - R.P.
www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/02/08/redknapps-england-application-to-the-fa-leaked/
 Capello Resigns - Alastairw
To be semi serious, the answer is surely to appoint someone on a temp contract, paid by results ie: win the Euros, you get to keep the job/get paid/dont get shot at dawn. Someone like Terry Venables, or maybe Gus Hiddink.
Speculation today that, if JT had resigned as captain, Capello would not have. Would that have been a result?
 Capello Resigns - madf
Who cares?
Only football.

They could have a turnip as a manager.. the players in England shirts hate each other so will never work as a team.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 9 Feb 12 at 06:44
Listening to BBC Breakfast just now I heard the English Manager's job described as "TheTop Job in World Football" and Gary Lineker introduced as "Former English Manager". I disagree with both of these bits of information
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
>> surely they could have found some proper home-grown talent...
>>
>> Well very few premiership clubs can. Only three English managers in the premiership. There are
>> 6 Scots

Home grown talent?

Most of the players are non-patrial as far as I can see
A semi-serious question - how can fans support a CLUB named after their own city, town or locality, when none of the persons involved have any connection whatsoever to aforesaid city, town, or locality
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>
>> A semi-serious question - how can fans support a CLUB named after their own city,
>> town or locality, when none of the persons involved have any connection whatsoever to aforesaid
>> city, town, or locality

Just the same as county cricket and Rugby Union you mean?
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
>> >
>> >> A semi-serious question - how can fans support a CLUB named after their own
>> city,
>> >> town or locality, when none of the persons involved have any connection whatsoever to
>> aforesaid
>> >> city, town, or locality
>>
>>
>> Just the same as county cricket and Rugby Union you mean?
>>

Yes, unfortunately.
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
Redknapp can only just speak English and is, according to his own admissions, almost illiterate.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>> Redknapp can only just speak English and is, according to his own admissions, almost illiterate.

It was temporary illiteracy. Just like Earnest Saunders being the only man to fully recover from Alzheimer's.
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
LOL!
Redknapp can only just speak English and is, according to his own admissions, almost illiterate

Yes someone with a fondness for English literature and received pronunciation would clearly make a better football manager.
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
Probably!
 Capello Resigns - Duncan
Do we - The Great British Taxpaying Public - give money to the FA?
 Capello Resigns - movilogo
I was surprised to know that his compensation package was £6 million/year!!
 Capello Resigns - devonite
Its the "Gutter-press" that run Football (and other sports) in this country! - all the FA did was be soft and stupid enough to bow to thier pressure! They (Gutter-press) will now "Champion" "Uncle `Arry" as the Peoples Favorite, and he will be offered the job at the end of the season, Stuart Pierce will stand in as caretaker till then I assume!
 Capello Resigns - VxFan
First to admit I don't follow football - never saw the appeal in 22 overpaid blokes kicking a bag of air around for 90 mins.

However, just seen this posted on another forum:

Fabio Capello resigns from the England job. An Italian abandoning a sinking ship, who would have thought it?
That was his salary! He may not get a compensation package due to the nature of his departure.
 Capello Resigns - Armel Coussine
Redknapp speaks a form of English familiar to football players. He may not understand emails (yeah yeah) but his fat little fingers must be able to manage a phone. And as for writing letters and so on, he has people to do that and just has to put his squiggle at the bottom. Since the great and good do it like that, why shouldn't he if he's got the bread? Just the same really when you get down to it. Viva Redknapp comrades!

I can't help wondering why the Fanny Adams paid a snarling monoglot Italian six million sovs a year bejasus to manage the England football team. There must have been something in it for the Fanny Adams suits somewhere along the line surely? A bit of dash or cumshaw or whatever they call it in this country these days?

Surely?
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
Baksheesh?
 Capello Resigns - BobbyG
Harry would be a fool to take the England job.

If he does well at the Euros, it was Capellos doing. If he doesn't, its Harry's.

He is doing well with Spurs, can possibly get them a very good position in the league and into Champions League.

Why would he want to give that up to play half a dozen games a year, not be able to deal in transfers, and spend much of his time behind a desk.

International Managers need to be a last appointment, one where they do not want to progress from. The position is so far removed from a normal league football team manager that it takes a specific type of person to do it.

Having said that, I can't see why he could not do the Spurs and England job at the same time!

Finally, a word of warning to him, England football fans are very impatient and he will never ever win out of this.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
He had the backbone of the England team at West Ham, and achieved nothing with them there. I don't rate him as a manager, you could fill a book with some of the stupid ridiculous transfers he has done, he was a laughing stock at one time. Apart from a few FA cups, what's he actually achieved?
 Capello Resigns - SteelSpark
To be fair, he's only managed Bournemouth, Portsmouth, West Ham and Southampton.

You'd be hard pushed to get a bulging trophy cabinet with any of those teams, so success is relative.

He took West Ham to 5th in the Premiership. What is the highest that they have been since that?

He also seems to be arguably getting the best out of Spurs at the moment too.

Maybe he can get the best out of England too, which is all we can ask for.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>> To be fair, he's only managed Bournemouth, Portsmouth, West Ham and Southampton.

One wonders then, why the clubs with more money were not baying for his services.

>> He took West Ham to 5th in the Premiership. What is the highest that they
>> have been since that?

Yes with possibly the finest squad of players around - the same ones that won titles with Chelsea and Manchester United and made up the core of the England team. He didn't discover them either they were out of the West Ham youth system that he had no part in.

>> He also seems to be arguably getting the best out of Spurs at the moment
>> too.

Spent a lot of money too.

>> >> To be fair, he's only managed Bournemouth, Portsmouth, West Ham and Southampton.
>>
>> One wonders then, why the clubs with more money were not baying for his services.

Just because you aren't managing one of the top 5 teams, doesn't make you a bad manager.

>> >> He took West Ham to 5th in the Premiership. What is the highest that
>> they
>> >> have been since that?
>>
>> Yes with possibly the finest squad of players around - the same ones that won
>> titles with Chelsea and Manchester United and made up the core of the England team.
>> He didn't discover them either they were out of the West Ham youth system that
>> he had no part in.

They had some good players, sure. But to claim that they had one of the strongest squads in the Premiership, is, frankly, fantasy.

It's also a bit unfair to ignore his role is bringing those players on. Yes, they came from the youth system, but he had been there 5 years by the time the team achieve 5th.

>> >> He also seems to be arguably getting the best out of Spurs at the
>> moment
>> >> too.
>>
>> Spent a lot of money too.

Well, you have to these days, don't you?

3rd place this far into the season, is a pretty good achievement, when you consider the opposition.

Of course, when you're England manager, you don't need to be a shrewed operator in the transfer market, or need to manage youth policy, or any of that.

You just need to get the best out of the currently available players. And I reckon his form shows that he is good at that.
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>> 3rd place this far into the season, is a pretty good achievement, when you consider
>> the opposition.

... is the poorest the premier league has had to offer up for some considerable time.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, arsenal, - shadows of their previous best. One look at the table will show you that. Newcastle 5th!

As for the West ham 5th place, where did they come next season, under his managership?

No - sorry by any measure he is average in his field, so where all this clamour that he is the England messiah has come from is beyond me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 10:29
>> ... is the poorest the premier league has had to offer up for some considerable
>> time.
>> Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea, arsenal, - shadows of their previous best. One look at the
>> table will show you that. Newcastle 5th!

That completely ignores the fact that Spurs have 50 points from 24 games, which is a very decent haul.

At the same point last season, Man U were leading with 54 points from 24 games, and arsenal were second with 49 points. Chelsea had only a point more than they do now, and Liverpool were on the same number of points.

So, there hasn't been some huge change this season, with everybody else having an off season.

If anything, Spurs would be even higher this season, if it weren't for Utd and City having very good runs (they are both on for 90 point seasons at this rate).

>> As for the West ham 5th place, where did they come next season, under his
>> managership?

9th and only 3 point behind 6th place, which was another good finish for a squad of West Ham's strength.

>> No - sorry by any measure he is average in his field, so where all
>> this clamour that he is the England messiah has come from is beyond me.

Far from average I would say. Gets the best out of what he has to work with. Just what we need.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 10:29
 Capello Resigns - Zero
>> That completely ignores the fact that Spurs have 50 points from 24 games, which is
>> a very decent haul.
>>
>> At the same point last season, Man U were leading with 54 points from 24
>> games, and arsenal were second with 49 points. Chelsea had only a point more than
>> they do now, and Liverpool were on the same number of points.

You only get as many points as the opposition (quality of) allow you.

Got the best of the squad? 15th in 2001?

Lets look at some of Harrys wonder signings shall we.

Harry Redknapp wasn't always the streetwise London gaffer he is today. The arrival of 'Mad' Marco Boogers for £1m from Sparta Rotterdam in July 1995 was just one of a number of misjudged West Ham imports. Coming on as a substitute against Manchester United in only his second appearance for the club, Boogers was almost immediately red carded for 'a sickening horror tackle' (The Sun) on Gary Neville. He promptly disappeared, discovered several weeks later hiding in a mobile home in a Dutch caravan park. The Boogers debacle, which ended in a loan deal and subsequent free transfer to Groningen despite his protestations - 'I'm not mental' - was the worst of a dreadful Redknapp collection: Florin Raducioiu arrived for £2.4m in July 96 and was sold at a £600,000 loss six months later after missing training for a Harvey Nichols shopping trip; Portuguese supermodel Dani lasted five months before being thrown out for excessive nightclubbing; and £2m star Javier Margas went missing in February last year, turning up later at home in Chile. He, unlike Boogers, did come back.

He took bungs on every one of those deals.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 10:27
 Capello Resigns - Zero
Someone has put b oogers in the swear filter.

Wouldn't have had to if people didn't use rhyming slang to get around the swear filter. Anyway, now sorted.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 10:28
>> Got the best of the squad? 15th in 2001?

Yes, but 5th two years before that and 3 points away from 6th the year before.

Remember, it's West Ham we are talking about. Nobody could make them a regular fixture in the top half of the table, and any manager, or team, has good and bad seasons.

>> Lets look at some of Harrys wonder signings shall we.

Most managers, if they have been in the game long enough, will have a done a number of very poor deals. People forget all of the players that are signed, never turn out for the team, and then are shipped out at cut price, happens all the time. Certainly Ferguson has had his fair share of bad buys, but it doesn't make him a bad manager.

Anyway, being a shrewd operator, or not, in the transfer market, has little relevance to the England job.

>> He took bungs on every one of those deals.

Even if that's true, what difference does it make as to whether he'd make a good England manager?
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 10 Feb 12 at 10:01
 Capello Resigns - Zero

>> Even if that's true, what difference does it make as to whether he'd make a
>> good England manager?

The FA wont like it.
>> >> Even if that's true, what difference does it make as to whether he'd make
>> a
>> >> good England manager?
>>
>> The FA wont like it.

They're a picky bunch aren't they.

I'd wait and see how he does in Euro 2012. If it's a disaster, they can always start rattling those skeletons.
"The Fiver" in the Guardian is written fairly tongue in cheek a lot of the time, but I reckon they've hit the nail on the head with this one -

www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/09/the-five-england-capello-redknapp-fa
>> "The Fiver" in the Guardian is written fairly tongue in cheek a lot of the
>> time, but I reckon they've hit the nail on the head with this one -
>>
>> www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/09/the-five-england-capello-redknapp-fa

Winning the league with AC Milan and Real Madrid, means you are good enough to win the World Cup with Brazil, or get knocked out at the group stage with England (after drawing with the USA and Algeria, and winning 1-0 against Slovenia).

We need somebody who can get the best out of a team that is not the best in the world.

England may not be the greatest team, but there is more potential there than Capello has ever managed to get out of them.

He has only ever managed very good teams, and he only got the job at Milan because he played there.

I wonder where he would be if he'd finished his playing career at Bournemouth instead.

Capello Resigns - Zero
>> "The Fiver" in the Guardian is written fairly tongue in cheek a lot of the
>> time, but I reckon they've hit the nail on the head with this one -

yeah, bang on the money.
 Capello Resigns - Roger.
tinyurl.com/6r96vdg

(Daily Mash)
 Capello Resigns - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16989958
I wonder what odds I'd get on Capello being the next Chelsea manager?
 Capello Resigns - Iffy
...I wonder what odds I'd get on Capello being the next Chelsea manager?...

5/1 here:

www.skybet.com/betting/football/manager-specials/t10002896.html
 Capello Resigns - devonite
>>wonder what odds I'd get on Capello being the next Chelsea manager?

Dont! - even think about it!!!! ;-(

I`ve just about had my fill of Roman and his so-called board choosing absolute clueless Numpties as manager!!! - Grant, Scolari, Ancellotti, and now AVB!!!
We dont need another!!

Bring back the "Special" one!!
Latest Forum Posts