Non-motoring > Beaver! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 45

Beaver! - Armel Coussine
The unpleasant baboon Abu Qatada is apparently allowed to stay here because we are so law-abiding. I don't know why he hasn't been charged with incitement, but there must be legal reasons. The fellow even strokes his hideous beard in public in what looks like deliberate provocation.

What would prevent crowds of small evil-minded boys from following him about and gathering outside his house day and night, chanting 'Beaver!' as they used to do a hundred years ago when they spotted a gent with a beard? They could even be paid to do it, perhaps by a do-gooding Christian organization.

A few days of that might persuade him that having his goolies tweaked by the Jordanian mukhabarrat would be the lesser of two evils. And it would make a small dent in the unemployment figures too.
 Beaver! - Runfer D'Hills
Don't think I'd chance shouting "beaver" nowadays AC. Certainly not around King's Cross anyway.
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
I had never thought of you as a small blackguard boy Humph. But we live and learn...
 Beaver! - Runfer D'Hills
Come to think of it my dad ( born before WW1 ) used to refer to beards as "beavers". He was quite posh though, certainly not a blackguard. I may well be, on reflection.
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
What makes you think there are no posh blackguards Humph? I've met several.

No suggestion that your old man was one of course. My father, also born before WW1, didn't call beards beavers. Indeed he even had one himself in the thirties but I think my mother made him shave it off. He kept the moustache though.
 Beaver! - Dog
Can one call someone a baboon in this day and age?
 Beaver! - Roger.
Well the word "monkey" may be considered pejorative in certain applications, so possibly "baboon" is similarly affected.
 Beaver! - Dog
>>pejorative<<

I'll have to look that up :)
 Beaver! - Zero
>> >>pejorative<<
>>
>> I'll have to look that up :)

Its a laxative
 Beaver! - Zero
Why dont we pay the Americans to kidnap him?

Or the Bulgarians to assassinate him.
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
What a bunch of thugs you all are, albeit only up to a point. But up to that point, I can only approve.

Beaver! - Runfer D'Hills
I occasionally start a beard. Never seem to get more than a week into the idea though. Instead of enhanced ruggedness I just end up looking like Catweazel. What's more, I like soup.
 Beaver! - corax
>> I occasionally start a beard. Never seem to get more than a week into the
>> idea though.

Here's a bit of encouragement

www.beards.org/
 Beaver! - Dutchie
Send Geert Wilders..;)
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> Send Geert Wilders..;)

... to Jordan where he belongs Dutchie?
 Beaver! - Dutchie
He start his own party follow the blond leader.>:)

I must admit where I grew up in Rotterdam very little Dutch is spoken.Must be the warm climate in the Netherlands.
 Beaver! - Dutchie
This Abu whatever his name is should be send to Jordan.

Unless he is a secret agent working for Mi5 one never knows.

5 kids illegal papers he could be in a disney film.
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> 5 kids illegal papers he could be in a disney film.

Dutchie, that is by far the funniest post in this thread. Brilliant.
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> "monkey" may be considered pejorative in certain applications, so possibly "baboon" is similarly affected.

These terms are considered racist when used by a racist. But I'm not one. I use them to describe the malevolent and mischievous (like the two South London yobbos banged up the other day for the racist murder they committed some years ago). 'You little monkey!' people used to cry when annoyed by a child in my young day.

Naturally I am sometimes misunderstood. But I'm quite used to that.
 Beaver! - Manatee
>>These terms are considered racist when used by a racist. But I'm not one.

I don't think for a nanosecond that you are racist, but good luck with that defence.

In a country, and a European Union, where UK not only cannot deport AQ but may not even be able to contain him and must pay him £1,000 a month in benefits, I wouldn't bet the farm on it ;-)
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 20:56
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> UK not only cannot deport AQ

It can deport him. Nothing bad will happen if it does.

It has been suggested here and in SS's thread that he isn't being deported because the Prime Minister needs to 'grow a pair'. I doubt very strongly that the reason is anything like that. There are other possibilities.
 Beaver! - Manatee
>>It can deport him.

That is not the impression I get from the story in today's DT - have I missed a development?

"Qatada was granted bail...after the European Court of Human Rights ruled last month that he could not be deported to his native Jordan".

For a government overtly to disregard a court with jurisidiction in a matter like this would be a fairly serious precedent wouldn't it?
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> For a government overtly to disregard a court with jurisidiction in a matter like this would be a fairly serious precedent wouldn't it?

National governments are not bound by decisions of the ECHR. Ignoring this one would have no consequences other than disapproval, which would be purely formal (not to say hypocritical) in the cases of France and Italy for example which have both apparently ignored such decisions in the past. And as I have already pointed out we are already, for centuries in many cases, the object of widespread disapproval already.

The point is well made by Bromptonaut below that forkbeard the pantomime villain may be less dangerous here where he can be kept under comprehensive surveillance and used to finger other potential mischief-makers. Perhaps that is why the government is pretending to be goody-goody on this one. Perhaps not. What I don't understand is why he hasn't been done for incitement, since there is ample evidence.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 00:43
 Beaver! - Armel Coussine
>> And as I have already pointed out we are already, for centuries in many cases, the object of widespread disapproval already.

What a superb sentence already yet already. Good heavens! Where's my Nobel Prize for using the word already three times in one short sentence already? And that was already nearly two hours ago already. I must be sobering up already.

Damn (already)!
 Beaver! - Manatee
>> >> For a government overtly to disregard a court with jurisidiction in a matter like
>> this would be a fairly serious precedent wouldn't it?

>> National governments are not bound by decisions of the ECHR. Ignoring this one would have
>> no consequences other than disapproval, which would be purely formal (not to say hypocritical) in
>> the cases of France and Italy for example which have both apparently ignored such decisions
>> in the past.

I am obliged to your Lordship. Out he should go, then.

I'm not at all convinced that keeping him here is a smart way to manage the threat. Where does that end? Come one, come all?
 Beaver! - Bromptonaut
>> In a country, and a European Union, where UK not only cannot deport AQ but
>> may not even be able to contain him and must pay him £1,000 a month
>> in benefits, I wouldn't bet the farm on it ;-)

I kind of think these threats to national security are better of here where we can keep an eye on them rather than roving the world. And £1k a month in benefits is a serious saving on keeping him with full board and room service at Hotel Long Lartin.

What puzzles me is how the guy can be Bin Bags ambassador in Europe, preacher of hate and everything else yet not have done thing that justifies him being arraigned in front of our own courts.

Also have to add the stat disclaimer the the ECHR has nowt to do with the EU - treaty obligation entered into c1950.
 Beaver! - R.P.
I reckon Cameron will deport him - he likes cocking a snoot at Europe and he knows it woull be a popular hit.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 21:19
 Beaver! - Kevin
More than one way to skin a cat.

Couldn't we just move him into social housing opposite Aldershot barracks?
 Beaver! - Dog
Word on the street is that if Jordan solemnly swears not to harm a hair of AQ's head, UKgov will then give him the elbow.
 Beaver! - Bromptonaut
>> Word on the street is that if Jordan solemnly swears not to harm a hair
>> of AQ's head, UKgov will then give him the elbow.

Suspect that's the way it will go. The loss was a fairly narrow one on whether AQ might be treid in Jordan on evidence gained by torture. If he's had fingers in as many pies as the briefings would have then surely there's enough to nail him anyway.

Gov can also appeal to the Court's 'Grand Chamber'. I don' think UK will want to 'spit in face' of ECHR even if they can. Doing nothing on prisoner votes is one thing, taking a positive action is another and would almost certainly result in further actions in UK courts. Gov will not want a constitutional crisis with home grown judges. Lib Dems will also be rightly appalled.

Beaver! - Cliff Pope
>> Word on the street is that if Jordan solemnly swears not to harm a hair
>> of AQ's head, UKgov will then give him the elbow.
>>

You mean if he gets a massive popular reception as a returning hero, and then goes on to plot more terror, that will be all right then?
 Beaver! - Dutchie
Is he plotting more terror?You can stand on a soap box in Hyde park and plot all sorts verbally.

Maybe we are getting carried away how dangerous he is.
 Beaver! - Cliff Pope
Well he's as dangerous as the people who use him when he gets back home. He might end up anywhere - who knows what deals will be hatched once he's out of our hands.
Why can't we try him here and lock him up for 20 years?

Then on past form after Jordan has had a revolution he can go home and become president.
 Beaver! - Dog
The dear chap hasn't served a single day of the life sentence he was given in 2000 for plotting to bomb tourists in Jordan.

He is also wanted on terrorism charges in Algeria, Amerika, Belgium, Spain, France, Germany, and Italy.

He is a marked man, wherever he goes.
 Beaver! - Dutchie
Must be happy where he lives Dog in London.Looks a nice area.

You can't beat human rites.
 Beaver! - Dog
((Must be happy where he lives Dog in London.Looks a nice area))

Good old taxpayer :(

Dutchie me ole son, why don't you start a fred on what dog would be best for thee?
 Beaver! - Dutchie
We have two cats at the moment Dog one is 14 and one is 5.Molly the 5 yearld old came from a home.I don't know if my wife would like me getting another Dog.Daughter is having a baby girl soon so we will be helping out.

I love a Dog again but I want to be able to take care of it.There is a lot happening at the moment Dog.Brother has gone this morning in hospital his treatment will stop on March the 16.

Beaver! - Dog
Say n'more Dutchie, you've got enough on your plate at the moment, without having a little yapper to contend with!

:)
 Beaver! - FocalPoint
Thanks for the update, Dutchie, though you did kind of slip it in under the radar!

Best wishes to you and to him, as always.
 Beaver! - Dutchie
Thanks Focall.I be booking for the 5th of March for a week.Problaby Hull Rotterdam ferry.

Just had a natter with my sister it has been minus 20c in Holland.They are waiting if the Elfstedentocht is going ahead.That is scating through eleven towns happens once a year depending on the weather.

Brother was in good spirits Iam looking forward seeing him again.
 Beaver! - FocalPoint
Dutchie, I gathered you were thinking of popping over, from the thread about ferries.

It's certainly been cold in Europe. My other half is Polish and in her home town it was down to -18°C last week.

(Sorry, guys - rather drifting the thread.)
 Beaver! - Pat
Give him a goal to look forward to in the bad times Dutchie.

Ian's first time was to take his Class 2 heavy good test, and the second time it was to take his artic lesons and test and he always says that is all that kept him positive in the bad times.

Let's hope it doesn't happen a third time...we can't afford a damn pilots licence;)

Pat
 Beaver! - L'escargot
>> What would prevent crowds of small evil-minded boys from following him about and gathering outside
>> his house day and night, chanting 'Beaver!' as they used to do a hundred years
>> ago when they spotted a gent with a beard?

The slang meaning of beaver is somewhat different nowadays ~ look it up in the Urban Dictionary. tinyurl.com/6tnsj4v
 Beaver! - Roger.
........so is the slang meaning of "beard".
Quite a few politicos have beards!
 Beaver! - Fullchat
" look it up in the Urban Dictionary. tinyurl.com/6tnsj4v"

Very enlightening :-S
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 8 Feb 12 at 22:14
 Beaver! - Dog
Some unanswered questions regarding Abu Qatada:

www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/news/2012/abu-qatada-the-unanswered-questions.php
Latest Forum Posts