Non-motoring > Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 27

Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Iffy
Sunday's American football Super Bowl is on BBC1 so we all have access to it, but is anyone going to bother?

I've noticed 5Live has upped its American football coverage in the last few months and is trying to convince us the Super Bowl is a big sports event.

I reckon it's minority interest only in the UK.

Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - CGNorwich
It is a big sports event and has has a small but solid following in the UK. What exactly is your point. Don't you think they should be showing it?
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Zero
>> Sunday's American football Super Bowl is on BBC1 so we all have access to it,
>> but is anyone going to bother?
>>
>> I've noticed 5Live has upped its American football coverage in the last few months and
>> is trying to convince us the Super Bowl is a big sports event.
>>
>> I reckon it's minority interest only in the UK.

It is a big sporting event in the US, one of the biggest.

Its also popular in the UK. So popular in fact that the NFL held the first regular season game ever played outside the US at Wembley in front of a capacity crowd.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Bromptonaut
>> I reckon it's minority interest only in the UK.

Same could be said of football in that far more people don't give than actually watch.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - mikeyb
Was discussing this with a colleague back in the week who has been to some games in the states.

He said the difference was interesting in that its a real family event, unlike football in the UK.

Shame we cant manage the same here, as I would like to take my boys to some sporting events, but wont due to the drinking, language and risk of violence
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Meldrew
Not enough continuous flowing action for me. Full of stoppages and huddles and conferences and than exciting short bursts of activity. I have also noted that, in sports where the violence is on the pitch there is very little among the spectators - ever seen crowd trouble at a rugby match, either code? There might be an exception for ice hockey - that is mega-violent and I think the spectators get caught up in it, sometimes.
...but wont due to the drinking, language and risk of violence...

Such behaviour was largely eradicated from association football in the late 1980s.

If you attended a game today your risk of seeing any violence, let alone being caught up in it, is very low.

Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Bromptonaut
>> Such behaviour was largely eradicated from association football in the late 1980s.
>>
>> If you attended a game today your risk of seeing any violence, let alone being
>> caught up in it, is very low.

Less actual violence but a football crowd is still pretty intimidating and as for language.....

Maybe different at St James Park or Stad of Light but even at 50 I discovered new profanities on a visit to Anfield!!
...Maybe different at St James Park or Stad of Light...

About the same, I expect.

Improved language is not my strongest family football point, although I have seen stewards upbraid individuals for swearing.

But not a lot can be done if a few hundred are singing a foul-mouthed song.

Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Armel Coussine
American football is all about violence, with those armoured behemoths crashing into each other in ways that would get them all sent off a rugby or football field.

Of course there are 'plays', tactics and skill and speed too. One can't help being impressed by someone hurling that skinny little rugger ball 80 yards, spinning like a shell and not tumbling end-over-end, into the hands of some waiting forward. But I still get bored within five minutes, helped by the gabbling commentary.

Perhaps all the overt violence on the field soothes the fans' aggression and enables them to sit quietly guzzling food and beer with their sons instead of wanting to kill the other team's fans like football enthusiasts here or in the more raw and red-blooded North African countries. Americans are generally more courtly, po-faced and well-behaved than we are. If they were like us they would all have shot each other by now.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Harleyman
Americans are generally more courtly, po-faced and well-behaved than we are. If
>> they were like us they would all have shot each other by now.
>>

If their accuracy is as good as their armed forces, they're more likely to shoot their own side than the opposition. ;-)
No away fans at league games leads to a less confrontational atmosphere.

Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Harleyman
>> No away fans at league games leads to a less confrontational atmosphere.
>>
>>
>>

..... and an empty Old Trafford.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Kevin
>I reckon it's minority interest only in the UK.

I'll be watching it. It can be very entertaining once you understand the rules and tactics.

I wonder what the Beeb will do during the commercials though. Companies like Budweiser and Nissan/Infiniti etc. usually produce some amusing ads specifically for Super Bowl.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnZhPtpibSk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVw6bJEL-Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVa2NMJBdo

We used to go to Longhorns games when we lived in Austin and the Dallas Cowboys had a training camp there. We were at County Line on the Hill BBQ one evening when the whole Cowboys squad walked in.

Those boys are Big! I mean Huge!
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - Dutchie
Iam more of a Rugby League man used to play the game as a amateur.To much protection for my liking American Football.I know they are big I have seen ,them build like man mountains but rugby league is harder.
Well it was well worth staying up for, not the best display of NFL I have ever seen, but a nailbiting finish.

Pretty sure any coach that uses a play designed to let the other mob score a touchdown with 59 seconds on the clock is going to get shot!
...Well it was well worth staying up for...

Drat, forgot it was on.

Had planned to have a dabble, if only to see what it looked like in HD on the new telly.

Oh, I forgot

And the half time show was good - Maddona.
>> And the half time show was good - Maddona.

Yet another good reason to ignore it completely.
Get out of it, anyone who comes out on a huge two story chariot dressed like Cleopatra, being pulled by a legion of near naked muscled bound centurians, is worthy of a bit of respect and admiration there AC.,

I defy anyone to say this is not good music

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA983t3Rdzs

Oh and she managed to have a pop at the Klan, the white bible belt eejits as well, fits in well with the Nascar thread
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 6 Feb 12 at 14:20
Not stupid or talentless or all bad I suppose, but not my type at all and I don't like the music.
And for those of you who enjoy the OTT Queen of Kitsch here is the Madonna half time show

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROkhklj0ZGs
Did I hear that first phrase correctly as 'Pussy-whipped'?

At least she's out front. But it's dull stuff, to me. Lots of production values, no content to speak of.
Well it beats a luke warm carling black label in a platstic cup, a puwka pie, and the band of the salvation army.
>> beats a luke warm carling black label in a platstic cup, a puwka pie, and the band of the salvation army.

Well, yes. But that isn't what I would call high praise.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - CGNorwich
Well its better than her latest attempt at film directing. I can't remember a film getting worse reviews than "W.E." about Wallis Simpson. Listened to Abbie Cornish being interviewed on the radio and she was totally embarrassed about the whole thing

www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/01/w-e-madonna-wallis-simpson-review
She is obsessed about Wallace Simpson.

Nicole was going to see it, but after the reviews she decided not to, and will wait till I download a copy.
 Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl? - R.P.
It would have made a good sequel to the King's Speech. The core casting was excellent, and given the same production values would have been a sure-fire hit. Upstairs Downstairs is back soon chronicling that fascinating period - can't wait.
Latest Forum Posts