Non-motoring > Nicol Williamson Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 11

Nicol Williamson - Armel Coussine
... has died. Used to live near me in London and sometimes drank in the daytime at a place in the Portobello with tables outside, good for a refreshing Leffe while shopping but a horribly noisy boozer inside. He seemed lonely but was highly recognizable. Same age as me, but I guess drank a bit more poor chap.

Don't remember seeing him on stage but do remember some gritty film performances. Not always good films. Was he in The Hill? Craggy face, latterly rather red, unhappy seeming man. RIP.
 Nicol Williamson - Lygonos
Remember him best from 'Excalibur' as Merlin, and 'Robin and Marian' as Little John.
 Nicol Williamson - Zero
He was very good in a little known film, "The Bofors Gun" which had a very good cast as it happens

Nicol Williamson
Ian Holm
David Warner
Peter Vaughan
John Thaw
 Nicol Williamson - Armel Coussine
>> "The Bofors Gun"

Yes, I did see that. His long obit in the terrorflag contained the amusing detail that US critics were fazed by his decision to play Hamlet with a strong Birmingham accent (they thought his diction 'too nasal', cheeky sods, they can talk). An abrasive character who often hit people and shouted or snarled at noisy audiences.

No mention of his having lived in London. But he must have stayed there sometimes because I certainly saw him at that pub, lonely but looking unapproachable, at least twice.
 Nicol Williamson - Dog
He's earned his corn ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol_Williamson#Personal_life

Requiescat in pace
 Nicol Williamson - Ted

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu_ZzTLwQyo

Good man !

Ted
 Nicol Williamson - Lygonos
From an old Frost show:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvE-kML1kbA&feature=related

Very good!
 Nicol Williamson - Ambo
Does anyone know the title of a film in which he starred with Peter Sallis in a subsidiary role? He used an incredibly tortured accent.
 Nicol Williamson - Duncan
Is it this one?

John Osborn's Inadmissible Evidence.
 Nicol Williamson - L'escargot
>> Does anyone know the title of a film in which he starred with Peter Sallis
>> in a subsidiary role?

The Reckoning? tinyurl.com/75f3o6g
 Nicol Williamson - Ambo
It was not The Reckoning which is set in the 1300s but of of the 1950s or so vintage of Inadmissable Evidence. There seems to be no film of the latter. There are lengthy extracts from a stage show of that name on the Tony Palmer DVD "John Osborne and the Gift of Freindship", available from Lovefilm.
 Nicol Williamson - Ambo
I think the "filmed" version of Inadmissible Evidence was in fact for TV only. Many thanks for leads.
Latest Forum Posts