Non-motoring > Could Humph upgrade his renter? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 2

Could Humph upgrade his renter? - Iffy
I wonder if a way forward for Humph's pension panic is a substantial upgrade of his rental property.

It's fully paid, so selling it should provide the deposit needed for a house in the south east.

He wants a mortgage no longer than 10 years, which should be achievable provided he meets other lending conditions.

A £150K mortgage would be about £1,500 a month, which is a lot, but it's still under the housing benefit cap of £25K a year, and the cap is only a proposal.

The next question is what a house inside the M25 priced at around £250K would achieve in rent.

A quick Google suggests £250K would buy a two-bed flat in Camberley, Surrey, which would rent for about £1,000 a month.

Mmm, still leaves Humph £500 a month short, but tinkering with the figures, and particularly the property choice, might make the upgrade plan a goer.

There's a danger of drowning in a sea of property and rental prices, but a two-bed flat in a cheaper part of London could be bought for similar money and would return a bit more in rent.

Camberley v Camberwell here:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Camberley/flats.html?index=10

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Camberley/flats.html?index=10

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Camberwell/flats.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&sortByRelevance=false&index=100

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Camberwell/flats.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&sortByRelevance=false&index=50

Could Humph upgrade his renter? - Zero

>> A £150K mortgage would be about £1,500 a month, which is a lot, but it's
>> still under the housing benefit cap of £25K a year, and the cap is only
>> a proposal.

I could get (just checked) an interest only buy to let mortgage 10 year term £150,000 mortgage for £627.90 a month.
 Could Humph upgrade his renter? - Zero
>> A £150K mortgage would be about £1,500 a month, which is a lot, but it's
>> still under the housing benefit cap of £25K a year, and the cap is only
>> a proposal.

I could get (just checked) an interest only buy to let mortgage 10 year term £150,000 mortgage for £627.90 a month.

Re your Camberley flats right move tells me I could buy a two bedroom flat in Camberley for
£169,000

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30906037.html

The cheapest rental in Camberley is £750 P/M

Seems to me the numbers add up quite well at first glance.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 08:16
Latest Forum Posts