Non-motoring > digital power comsumption Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Buddy Replies: 16

digital power comsumption - Buddy
it is often said, presumably correctly(?) that digital radios consume more electricity than FM versions etc - anyone know (no guesses) how much more, say, as a percentage, pse?
 digital power comsumption - RattleandSmoke
Can't see it being that much more, the amplifer circuit would use the same amount but a digital radio was the added complicity of needing a tuner and a DAC.

I can't see a DAC using any more than 2-3w of electricity if that.
 digital power comsumption - Tooslow
Buddy, that question can only be answered with a gross generalisation which will depend upon brand, amongst other factors. However, if you're happy with a gross generalisation, and that's the best you're going to get without fooling yourself, then a digital radio will use approx four times as much energy as an analogue radio, according to www.ethicalconsumer.org/FreeBuyersGuides/AudioVisual/digitalradios.aspx

JH
 digital power comsumption - L'escargot
According to www.ethicalconsumer.org/FreeBuyersGuides/AudioVisual/digitalradios.aspx ..............

"Traditional analogue radios have an average power consumption of two watts, but digital radios consume, on average, more than four times this amount (8.5 watts). The 'standby' power used when the digital radio is switched off at the unit averages five watts, compared with less than one watt for analogue models."

Those are miniscule amounts compared with the power consumption of most electrical appliances, and as such will be unnoticeable on an electricity bill or on the effect on the planet.
 digital power comsumption - Zero
But will run down your batteries 4 times faster.
 digital power comsumption - Buddy
most helpful, Mr Snail - merci
 digital power comsumption - crocks
>>The 'standby' power used when the digital radio is switched off at the unit averages five watts.
>>Those are miniscule amounts compared with the power consumption of most electrical appliances...

Five watts is still 43.8 kWh per year or about £5 a year. Not enormous but certainly more than miniscule.
My fridge-freezer only uses 288 kWh per year.
 digital power comsumption - Iffy
...approx four times as much energy as an analogue radio...

I have a few DAB sets, at home and in the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

They do use more power, trying to run a portable on batteries is expensive.

I've not got figures to hand, but can easily believe four times as much.

digital power comsumption - Dave_
I've got a radio/CD player thingy in my kitchen with a power output of "2x1.2W RMS". The sticker on the back says "power consumption 36W". Compare this to my 21" TV set which has a power consumption of only 46W and is much louder to boot.
 digital power comsumption - Bellboy
would anybody like to tell me why anyone would want a gigitoff radio when fm is superior?
plus i listen to a lot of radio via my computer i wouldnt dream of buying a radio as a fad just like one of those new 625 line tv's something better will be along tomorrow no doubt? and cause my record player "its a rigonda you know" proper hi fi ,the man in rumbelows said so, to also be outdated

................very upset of yorkshire........
...would want a gigitoff radio when fm is superior?....

Because 5Live is on DAB, not on FM, and rubbish on AM, particularly in winter.

Because FM reception is poor at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

Because there are stations on DAB that are not on FM or AM.

digital power comsumption - Bellboy
never listened to 5 live
just googled it and its sport run by the bbc
cant stand sport
cant stand the bbc
so monies saved
= result for me
did i mention i dont do caravans either :-)
maybe when i retire and have a walking stick eh and have the time to read rubbish papers ;-)
...cant stand sport...

Lot's of people enjoy it, as I'm sure you know, and 5Live do a good job of covering it.

There are many weaknesses with the version of DAB adopted in the UK.

I reckon if the BBC put 5Live on FM, sales of DAB radios would be even poorer than they are now.

digital power comsumption - Robbie34
never listened to 5 live
just googled it and its sport run by the bbc
cant stand sport
cant stand the bbc
so monies saved
= result for me
did i mention i dont do caravans either :-)
maybe when i retire and have a walking stick eh and have the time to read rubbish papers ;-)

You don't appear to have much interest in anything.

Radio 5 Live is not sport, rather a mix of current affairs, politics and other topics. Excellent late night or early morning listening. LBC is another station that eschews pop music, and is another mix of topical discussion. Neither of these stations is available on FM.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Tue 20 Apr 10 at 20:04
 digital power comsumption - Tooslow
"new 625 line tv's "

And you'll need a new aerial for that :-(

JH
...did i mention i dont do caravans either...

I used to be a caravan snob, too.

Now I'm a snob with a caravan.

Wouldn't want to be without my second home in leafy North Yorkshire.

I look forward to the change of scenery, when on most Friday nights I trundle down there, rather than go back to Ifithelps Towers.

A bit of dust in the air doesn't stop me travelling, either.

digital power comsumption - Phil F
Hi,
ifithelps.....nice one!...wouldn't want to be without my seaside residence either.....
Great minds obviously think a like!?
Phil.
Latest Forum Posts