Previous volumes are below
Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 22:24
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Focusless
As predicted by madf: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16659090

Costa Concordia disaster: Cruise firm faces US lawsuit

The company operating a cruise ship that sank off Italy last week is facing a class-action lawsuit in the US.

Italy's consumer association Codacons and two US law firms told the BBC they would file the suit against Costa Cruises on behalf of the passengers.

They want at least $160,000 (£105,000) for each passenger on the ship.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - henry k
>>As predicted by madf....... Cruise firm faces US lawsuit

Sandra Rodgers lost husband's ashes in escape

Mrs Rogers is among several passengers to have instructed travel law experts to act for them since the incident

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9027895/Costa-Concordia-Grief-of-British-widow-who-lost-her-husbands-ashes-in-evacuation-of-ship.html

She said it was only when they got on to the island that they got help from the islanders themselves, adding: "There were no emergency services and the cruise staff had all disappeared. The people of the island were a God-send."

What did she expect? Everyone on standy in case 4000 people turn up??
The crew too were shocked and had lost everything.

She is among a number of people being represented by law firm Irwin Mitchell.

Clive Garner, partner and head of the company's international law team, said they are continuing to receive inquiries from a growing number of passengers from both the UK and abroad.

Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - R.P.
Oh no. I see the makings of a movie...:-(
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Kevin
>Oh no. I see the makings of a movie...:-(

You mean like this:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0120179/

Thinking about it, maybe that's what really happened? A hacker took control of Concordia and ran her aground.

Anyone have the phone number for Capt Schettino's attorney?
Last edited by: Kevin on Fri 20 Jan 12 at 21:46
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Zero
>> Oh no. I see the makings of a movie...:-(

Too late, produced and released.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJE_tgRBPo&feature=g-vrec&context=G278f99fRVAAAAAAAAAA

Ok the production values are a little low.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - rtj70
>> Oh no. I see the makings of a movie...:-(

At least two, in a similar vain to the original Poseidon Adventure and then the sequel about salvaging the ship and finding survivors.

I wonder what if anything will happen to the female member of staff telling people to go to their cabins. Maybe some did and then couldn't get back to the life boats again....
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - smokie
Just back from a Med cruise meself last night, which I joined on the day of this disaster. Although I didn't hear about this right away, the captain made reference to it during his pre-dinner speech (!!) on Sunday, and on Tuesday they had a full scale staff-only safety drill which included all the port side lifeboats being lowered to the water. never seen that before, and gave me some confidence I suppose - a smart move.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Meldrew
I have been away for a few days, excuse me if I am repeating earlier comments! I love the story about the captain tripping and falling into a life boat - a but like "The Dog ate my Homework". I also read yesterday that the Captain's special lady friend turned up at a life-boat warmly dressed and with a small holdall of all her vital and precious possessions. All right for some!
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Cliff Pope
>> all the port side lifeboats being lowered to
>> the water. never seen that before, and gave me some confidence I suppose -
>>

To wait on the port side while evacuating, rather than risk the untested starboard?
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Old Navy
On the last (and only so far) cruise that I did a helicopter transfer exercise was carried out. This involved the crew shifting all the furniture from the pool area. the announcement said that it was unplanned, It may have been for the deck crew, but I would think the bridge staff had some notice.

Having a little knowledge of things maritime, all the lifeboats and associated equipment was in good condition and well maintained.

On another occasion a problem I spotted on a large high speed boat in Bali was the rope which activates and inflates the liferafts when they are deployed was not attached. Not a problem for me I know how they work! :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Jan 12 at 11:29
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Ambo
I an imagine comments in the French satirical press. Here's one from the past:

Zeebrugge Cocktail

Un quart ferry
Trois quarts d'eau

("quart", of course, is pronounced "car" in French).
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - smokie
"To wait on the port side while evacuating, rather than risk the untested starboard?"

Ha, good point, but we were docked at the time and they carried out the first part of the drill on both sides, then all starboard personnel were called to port side for the lifeboat bit.

The thing that puzzled me was that your life jacket is in your cabin, so in the event of emergency you have to return to your cabin to get your life jacket. (They do a passenger drill the day after joining the ship, always a bit of a laugh, but a good practice as at least people have some idea of what it might be like in an emergency).
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Bromptonaut
>> The thing that puzzled me was that your life jacket is in your cabin, so
>> in the event of emergency you have to return to your cabin to get your
>> life jacket. (They do a passenger drill the day after joining the ship, always a
>> bit of a laugh, but a good practice as at least people have some idea
>> of what it might be like in an emergency).

Understand the rationale for life jackets in cabin (incidents at night etc). But are there not also Muster Stations in lounges etc as on car ferries etc?
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Old Navy
>> The thing that puzzled me was that your life jacket is in your cabin, so
>> in the event of emergency you have to return to your cabin to get your
>> life jacket.

There will also be lifejackets in the lifeboats, and in lockers on the upper decks for those who can't get to their cabins. I agree that many people will not know when it is potentially dangerous to return to their cabins.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Bromptonaut
>> I agree that many people will not
>> know when it is potentially dangerous to return to their cabins.

Bad enough on dry land. Office fire alarm means get out now not fanny about going back to your desk for wallet, handbag etc.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - madf
Simple rule about going to a ship's cabin.

If the ship is not level i.e. it is tilting one way or the other - or forwards or backwards.. it's sinking. Get on deck.

Other skippers can be show-offs, too. Two passenger liners on the Holland-Indonesia run, Oranje and Willem Ruys met in the Red Sea on routine opposite runs. The custom was to pull close so that passengers could exchange greetings. They did this on January 6 1953 but collided. (The Willem Ruys, by then renamed the Achille Lauro, was hi-jacked in 1985 and caught fire and sank off Somalia in 1994.) In about 1957 a KLM flight I took from Singapore circled low over Greek islands so that the passengers could enjoy the view. In 1960 my cattle-and passenger sternwheeler crossed another on Colombia's Rio Magdalena but the ships tied up for a couple of hours' partying. And how about Italian bus drivers? On a very long trip from the airport in Verona to a Lake Como hotel our driver spent the first half constantly on his mobile, demonstrating knee-steering technique when it was necessary io use both hands to dial. This steering technique proved its worth later. At a mid-way coffe stop he manged to pick up a nice bird who spent the rest of the journey standing beside him, so he could phone with one hand and feel her up with the other. The custom must be widespread as we noted it later on San remo trolley buses. What is the Italian for Health and Safety, again?
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - devonite
>>What is the Italian for Health and Safety, again?

"It`sa notta ma faulta"
Recent report at:

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0124/breaking45.html/
Link seems to be broken. Please can you post it again? Any news on Capt Chaos lightens an otherwise dour day! No disrespect intended to the bereaved btw!
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - henry k
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0124/breaking45.html
It fails for me, I know knot why but try
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper
and then search for liner
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - sherlock47
Just delete the last/
www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0124/breaking45.html

Last edited by: pmh on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 17:27
Reports in today Terrorgraf that ship was travelling at 15knots near the island, other people - not crew on bridge - and Captain distracted.. Third Officer reporting all this.

And Captain apparently managed to "lose" his laptop.

Of course it could be all bs ... but a clear pattern...may be emerging.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Armel Coussine
>> but a clear pattern...may be emerging.

Crystal clear: Schettino stuffed it definitively and will never work as a cruise skipper again (or any other sort of skipper probably).

Of course he was not alone. Others should have been driving while he was glugging wine and chatting up dancers and celebs. But he does seem to have been running a remarkably loose ship.

I don't blame his wife for being indignant over the way the owners and other officers have jumped up and down on him. You would think some of the latter at least would feel partly responsible and keep a bit quiet.

One can only hope there aren't too many cruise ships being run like that.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 18:03
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Zero
Mr Schettino's lawyer, who says his client admits partial responsibility for the disaster, is seeking to widen the investigation to include third parties with whom he was in contact, notably from ship owners, Costa Cruises.

The man seems to have an insatiable desire to cling to lifeboats,.
It doesn't seem entirely out of the question that his standing orders were to contact the company before abandoning ship, and that the hesitation of 75 minutes after the ship was holed may have been partly the company's responsibility.

But he was there and presumably some sort of seaman. He should have overruled them if they wanted him to wait.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - CGNorwich
The worrying thing is how did someone of Schettino's temperament ever get promoted to captain in the first place.
The Captain's blindly loyal wife probably hasn't got English as her first language and has probably been mis-reported but a statement saying

"I cannot think of any other naval or air tragedy in which the responsible party - - -" Note the entirely appropriate use of the word Responsible! He was nominally in charge, even if not performing his duties very well
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Roger.
The buck stops with the captain.
End of.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - devonite
The Costa owners have stated that thier next Captain will not hit anything, - Torres starts on Monday!
>> The Costa owners have stated that thier next Captain will not hit anything, - Torres
>> starts on Monday!
>>

ROFL.

He's Spanish though and not Italian.
Allow me to recommend Joseph Conrad's long short story/novella Typhoon, which I have just re-read. It contains a portrait of a skipper whose character is the exact opposite, apparently, of Schettino's, a portrait both inspiring and richly comic, and an account of how a crew should work under terrifyingly adverse conditions.

Published around the turn of the last century though, so anyone who expects 'political correctness' may be shocked. I believe Dutchie may find it particularly interesting and perhaps evocative.
www.online-literature.com/conrad/typhoon/1/

Out of copyright so you can read it here
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - Crankcase
Or if you prefer, listen to it from here:

librivox.org/typhoon-by-joseph-conrad/
Free on Kindle. Have downloaded a copy. Should be good for reading on the ferry.
Hope you don't have to test whether it is waterproof >:)
The new Private Eye has several fair Schettino jokes, including the front cover.
 Fancy a cruise - Vol 4 - VxFan
I've often thought about going on a cruise. Apparently you can see the world from a different angle.

(apologies if that one has already been posted)
Just got round to reading it. As you say Captain MacWhirr is about as far as you can get in temperament from Schettino. Enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - crocks
A BBC article about compensation here.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16754771

But also has a video showing a reconstruction of the path of the Costa Concordia just before the disaster.

It was heading straight towards the land before the initial impact, then came to a halt facing sideways before moving sideways to its final resting place.

Can ON or Dutchie shed any more light on why it followed such a strange course?
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - rtj70
If that is indeed the course followed by the ship it shows it was under power. It must have been the propulsion pods pushing the things basically sideways into the shore.
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Zero
the first part of its sideways movement out is after the rock hit and flooded engine room, no power - no steerage.

Its travels so far sideways with its momentum slowing till it stops, then drifts sideways back to port with the prevailing wind and currents.

Dont forget it was an hour at sea after the rock / ship interface incident most of that time without primary propulsion.
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Dutchie
Have we got a report from the Captain and Officers what has happened .I mean a inital report.

Ship was fully laden I don't know what her draft was and how deep the water so close to shore about 200 meters.
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Old Navy
I think Zeros assessment is close, with the bow and stern (if fitted) thrusters used to push the ship sideways on to the shore to stop it sinking.
 Passenger compensation - Meldrew
I see that Carnival Cruises have offered passengers £9,000, refund of their fare and medical and transport costs. This strikes me as nearer the real world than the £100,000 that is being discussed in the USA.
>> I think Zeros assessment is close, with the bow and stern (if fitted)

If working too, didn't they have complete power failure, emergency battery only?
What caused the power failure was it due to running aground?
Hiting the rock at speed and then flooding the engine room.
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - four wheels good...
Soon after the disaster I am sure I saw an overhead photo of the ship in happier days showing side prop-wash from both fwd and aft. Whether these are thrusters or pods I don't know. I would think most ships of this age and type would now have thrusters at least.
I have seen photos of the ship well down in the water, aground but almost upright and fully illuminated. In fact I commented to Mrs ON that they were fortunate to have lighting for the evacuation and I was surprised that the generators had not failed due to flooding.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 18:57
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Meldrew
No thrusters according to the spec - just 2 fully rotatable power "pods" which negate the need for rudders SFAIK

Installed power: 6 × Wärtsilä diesel engines, 75,600 kilowatts (101,400 hp)
Propulsion: Diesel-electric; two shafts (2 × 21 MW)
Two fixed pitch propellers
Speed: service: 21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph)
maximum: 23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)
Capacity: 3,780 passengers
Crew: 1,100
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 27 Jan 12 at 18:59
Managed to find a full diagram of the ship showing most of the underwater fittings. If these show 'as fitted' or pre build..... There are three thrusters forward and where the standard propeller aft would be there is an 'Azipod' thruster.
Meldrew,

Will check again, obviously different findings here!
My source was only quoting main propulsion I think, not auxiliary but vital propulsion. Happy to be corrected!
You can see the three bow thrusters in the current photos of the ship on its side.
I've found more sketches of the underwater gear, I am beginning to think they are all artists impressions, although the one specifying the Azipod thrusters was from an engineering publication.

Another drawing shows standard propellers, c/w shafts forward of two blade type rudders, with three more thrusters in the keel. I don't expect even for a cruise liner, proper ship's drawings will be easily accessible.
Meldrew,

I think you were nearer the mark than I was.

It appears there are two standard propellers with two rudders with the thrusters in the keel fwd and aft, no rotating pods. This would match the overhead photo showing the prop-wash I mentioned earlier.

Lots of interesting chatter of course in the marine and technical world, may have a good read of some over the weekend if the weather is grotty.

www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2012/01/19/bekijk-een-reconstructie-van-de-ondergang-van-de-costa-concordia/

Following the map after hitting the rock vessel stopped.

And futher on took a turn to star board using bow propellors.Tide pushed vessel against land.

Vessel hit rock at about 15 knots.
Good Morning Dutchie. In here is an animated clip of the ship's last few miles of travel. Scroll down down to the animated clip - I have checked and it works

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe

It shows, among other things, the ship turning over 90 degrees in its own length (literally spinning on the spot) and then drifting sideways onto the rocks. Could the tide be doing the latter or could such movement be done with thrusters, if fitted?

Looking forward to your thoughts and ON's.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 28 Jan 12 at 07:08
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Manatee
Try this

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16563562

or this

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16742405

or this

news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16152603

>> It shows, among other things, the ship turning over 90 degrees in its own length
>> (literally spinning on the spot) and then drifting sideways onto the rocks. Could the tide
>> be doing the latter or could such movement be done with thrusters, if fitted?
>>
>> Looking forward to your thoughts and ON's.
>>

My guess is that someone, (the captain?) realised they were in deep doo doo, turned the ship using the thrusters, (mabe all they had), and ran it aground with them. It moved a fair distance in a short time for it to be unaided movement, remember there was no wind, the main weather effect on a ship that tall.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 28 Jan 12 at 09:00
Thanks ON. As you know there has been discussion about the presence, or otherwise, of thrusters. What the clip shows, and your interpretation of it, makes it pretty clear that there must have been.
As I said earlier you can see the three bow thrusters in the current photos of the ship on its side. I don't know if it has stern thrusters but if it has conventional screws and rudders it could well have.
I think they were fortunate to have any power at all, (even for lighting), with the extent of the flooding they had.
I went on a seafarers Dutch forum Meldrew.The general consensus is by Captains who sailed round the area.That the rock or rocks the vessel hit is on the charts.

Also they mentioned this vessel has two Captains.Or first mate can be Captain.Which makes sense if one of them is taking ill.The ship can go sideways with trhusters the majority of cargo ships have them now can save money on using a Tug.

Tide and thrusters moved the ship sideways is the general opinion.One good thing the crew tryed to do after they realised the damage is to sail the ship close to the shore or in the harbour to save lives.

This chart of the impact area shows that the rock is on the chart.

tinyurl.com/73gfna2
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - Dog
Ere! - have you heard? El Capitan has 'landed' a new job ~ flic.kr/p/bm1hz2
As I idly contemplate my February budget I wonder what this salvage operation is costing Carnival? Smit have been in attendance virtually since the day she ship was stranded, basically to remove the fuel and perhaps try to stop the thing slipping into deep water, I suppose.

Now there are tenders coming in for dealing with the wreckage, either moving it or cutting it up in situ. I think it will be a number with a lot of noughts after it.

tinyurl.com/89tpwkh
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - CGNorwich
It will be the Insurers, not Carnaval who are paying.
Yes - I phrased that like a school pupil with an A* GCSE! I was thinking of the overall cost to whoever. Carnival have to cough up a $60 million XS and one wonders what the renewal premiums will be like and if Capt |Chaos will be a named driver!
 Final course of the Costa Concordia - henry k
The current front page of
www.private-eye.co.uk/

Image is at the bottom ( motoring link )

Brilliant as ever !!!
 Documentary Tuesday 8pm Ch 4 - Focusless
Documentary 'Terror at Sea: The Sinking of the Concordia' Channel 4 tomorrow 8pm.
tinyurl.com/6tz5h3u
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 30 Jan 12 at 18:17
 Documentary Tuesday 8pm Ch 4 - devonite
Er! technicallu it hasn`t sunk, it`s just flooded! ;-)
 Documentary Tuesday 8pm Ch 4 - Old Navy
>> Er! technicallu it hasn`t sunk, it`s just flooded! ;-)
>>

Yes, just run aground a bit. Nothing some Tcut won't polish out.
 Documentary Tuesday 8pm Ch 4 - Meldrew
Well, bits of it are wet that shouldn't be and it isn't floating. If it slid off the ledge it would go to the bottom so that's more sunk than floating in my book! I think we can agree on "Stranded"
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Meldrew
Reported in today's Times that the Captain's companion says she is in love with him. She had been on board for 3 hours but had not checked into her cabin; divesr found items of clothing and make up belonging to Ms Cemortan in the Captain's cabin.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - henry k
The big move is approved ?
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9059365/Costa-Concordia-will-be-refloated-and-removed-whole.html

Captain Chaos - Upodate - Dutchie
Captain not on the bridge busy with more inportant duties.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - R.P.
She was only the Captain's girlfriend etc etc...
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17183134

Of course it'll be OK - couldn't happen twice could it ?
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - madf
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17183134
>>
>> Of course it'll be OK - couldn't happen twice could it ?
>>

No This Captain's girlfriend will be Italian...
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - diddy1234
insurance job of a soon to be defunct cruise company me thinks !
Latest report a Trawler got this passenger cruiser in tow.

I hope he claims Loyds Salvage good be a new trawler for the skipper.
Now not landing at the first island they arrived at but now a further 155 miles to the main island. from that I assume seas must be pretty calm
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17186829
Haven't looked on the map regarding weather.If it was blowing trawler would struggle to tow the passenger vessel.155 miles still a distance to go .Salvage Tugs are very powerfull and designed for this work.

www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120228/120228_cruise_ship/20120228/?hub=CP24Extras

In this photo taken by a member of French fishing vessel The Talenduic and provided by the Prefecture of the Reunion Island, the Italian cruise ship, The Costa Allegra, left, is towed by French fishing vessel The Trevignon in the Indian Ocean on Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2012. (AP Photo/Le Talenduic, Reunion Island Prefecture, HO
Desroches Island was never a good idea for 1000 people, although it has an airfield

Île Desroches 3.24 Sq Kms 50 population according Wiki
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 14:54
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - rtj70
I wonder how many people thinking about booking a cruise is put off? I'd say many might want to avoid this company but they (and the parent) are some of the bigger plays in this market.

I never fancies a cruise - and this makes me even less likely to want to go on one!
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - John H
What's an "Upodate"?
It is typoo!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 15:25
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - VxFan
>> It is typoo!

I prefer PG Tips myself.
Nice photo henry.Very smart and moden fishing vessel they seem to be going fine.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Fursty Ferret
Anyone else get the impression that these things are poorly designed from an electrical point of view? That's two in two months left adrift following electrical failure.

The better ships (Royal Caribbean springs to mind) have two independent engine rooms with a watertight bulkhead between the two, each capable of taking the entire ship's electrical load. One room has an explosion / incident / flooding, and the other picks to the load. Obviously the ship's speed will be reduced, but normal heating and lighting remain operational.

The first one was not due to electrical failure - it was smashed into the rocks. But I agree the power room should not be a point of failure.

The company is showing how they are at farce. They were heading to an island where there is only an exclusive resort with about 24 rooms. So no facilities really. I can see why being on the ship without power is better than being on an island without accommodation at all! I assume the toilets are still working!
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Kevin
>I assume the toilets are still working!

Toilet facilities were described as 'limited' by a Sky News pundit earlier today.

Still, look on the bright side - it's in the Indian Ocean. You won't get frostbite hanging your 'arris over the side.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Runfer D'Hills
I wouldn't fancy baring my bum to shark-infested waters. Could quite put me off the mission that.
You should be OK Humph.

Your upper deck suite is well clear of the water (and the below decks don't have port holes big enough) :-0
>The better ships (Royal Caribbean springs to mind) have two independent engine rooms..

The Allegra was originally a container ship built in the 60s and later converted into a cruise ship.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Fursty Ferret
>> >The better ships (Royal Caribbean springs to mind) have two independent engine rooms..
>>
>> The Allegra was originally a container ship built in the 60s and later converted into
>> a cruise ship.
>>

Yes, only just discovered that fact Kevin!

Note to self: do not go on a Costa cruise. Though friends who'd been on one said it was rubbish, the only thing they served for the evening meal for two weeks was pasta!
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - bathtub tom
Matt's cartoon was prophetic: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9106324&cc=9053108
I have said before I saw the Costa Fortuna in Rhodes Town last year. Naff name and naff everything I assume.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - idle_chatterer
In response to the original question - Fancy a cruise ? - NO, I can't think of a worse way to spend my holiday.
Carnival posts loss on Costa Concordia sinking
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17317279

What next?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16573312
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Duncan
>> Fancy a cruise ? - NO, I can't think of a worse way to spend my holiday.
>>

Do tell i_c.

Where have you been on your cruises and with whom?
Our eldery neighbours go on cruises regulary.They keep telling me a good time excellent food.

Cruises to Scandinavia etc.I believe them and why not.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Old Navy
I did a Norwegian Fiord cruise a couple of years ago and am doing a Baltic Capitals one this year. You just have to treat the ship as a mobile hotel, its all about where it goes.
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Duncan
>> I did a Norwegian Fiord cruise a couple of years ago and am doing a
>> Baltic Capitals one this year.
>>

We did Baltic capitals at the end of last year and enjoyed it very much.

Who are you going with ON?
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Old Navy
>> Who are you going with ON?
>>

Fred Olson, from and back to Rosyth, almost my doorstep. :-)
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Badwolf
We're off on the Grand Princess at the start of June, sailing around the Med for two weeks. Can't blimmin' wait!
>> We're off on the Grand Princess at the start of June, sailing around the Med
>> for two weeks. Can't blimmin' wait!

Perhaps not a good idea to broadcast when your house might be empty?
 Captain Chaos - Upodate - Mr. Ecs
What you can tell from his moniker where he lives?
A bus driver called Rob, living in Southport with a '53 reg Megane in his garden and an '08 Grande Punto for daily use.

I've been identified here with less information.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Sat 10 Mar 12 at 14:08
 Captain Chaos - Update - crocks
But didn't you direct us to an article in a car mechanics magazine with your photo and other information. :-)
 Captain Chaos - Update - Iffy
We might have burglars looking for new targets lurking on here using a previously nicked laptop.

But I doubt it.

Captain Chaos - Update - Dog
In sowf lunden where I come from, burglars use mini remote controlled drone type craft to spy on peoples comings & goings over a period of days before they pounce, I hear. www.microdrones.com/index-en.php
 Captain Chaos - Update - Dutchie
In south Rotterdam where I grew up they kick the door in Dog.>)
Most burglaries are crude - smash a door or window to get in.

I'm quite impressed, if that's the right word, with the job done on Crocks in the other thread.

Removing a window borders on sophistication.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 10 Mar 12 at 16:55
 Captain Chaos - Update - Dutchie
Depends on the window Iffy .I think there was a program on the television a while ago.A professional showed how easy it is to burglar a house.
...Depends on the window Iffy...

A few years ago, covering the window with clingfilm and cutting out a neat piece of glass was a common method.

At the other end of the scale, I covered one in which the burglar smashed the glass with his bare fist.

The police followed the trail of blood and found the drink and drug sodden mess of a burglar collapsed about 100 yards away.

Captain Chaos - Update - zippy
Few years ago.....

A scrote smashed the window of My Mrs's Fiesta to nick the radio, just as a plain clothes detective was walking by!

;-)
 Captain Chaos - Update - Clk Sec
Another common method was to completely remove an externally beaded uPVC window.
 Captain Chaos - Update - Fursty Ferret
Watched one of those Police Camera Action shows t'other night - showed them knocking in one of these new PVC front doors. The middle of the door only needed a tap from his big hammer and it fell out!
...showed them knocking in one of these new PVC front doors...

I've seen that done a few times - very exciting.

On one occasion the copper couldn't break the door - the ram just bounced off.

No suspects escaped, the place was surrounded.

But the minute or so's delay enabled those inside to flush their drugs down the toilet.

Captain Chaos - Update - BobbyG
>>...showed them knocking in one of these new PVC front doors..

When we got a relayed message that our house was on fire, my wife raced home and offered her front door keys to the firemen.
He laughed and pointed to our white UPVC door sitting on the front lawn ! Well, to be precise , the frame of it was still on the hinges but the inside panels were lying on the lawn.

Needless to say the new door was of (allegedly) a more secure design. But on that note, its great how they say that your door locks need to be of the five-bar type or whatever - you can have any lock you want but if the internal panels of the door are made with glued together polystyrene then the locks are going to make hee-haw of a difference!
 Captain Chaos - Update - bathtub tom
>> But didn't you direct us to an article in a car mechanics magazine with your
>> photo and other information. :-)

Some people have long memories. ;>)
 Her next cruise is agreed. A refloat - henry k
Salvage deal for Costa Concordia agreed.

Under the plans, the Concordia will be re-floated in one piece and towed to a port on the Italian mainland.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17798266
 End of 2012 update on the salvage. - henry k
In case you have forgotten ..

Video report
www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57559311/costa-concordia-salvaging-a-shipwreck/
Click on watch the segment (13 mins)

Quick views & drawings
www.businessinsider.com/plan-to-salvage-costa-concordia-wreck-2012-12?op=1

Seems that September is the earliest roll over date.
 June 2014 update on the salvage. - henry k
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10885312/Removal-of-Costa-Concordia-could-pollute-sea-around-island-of-Giglio.html

The complex operation to refloat the Concordia, which rests semi-submerged on a giant underwater platform, is expected to take place between July 12 and 14

cruisefever.net/0610-costa-concordia-cleanup-continues-set-to-be-towed-july-20/

Transportation images

tinyurl.com/mynsm2g
tinyurl.com/kh93l48
 June 2014 update on the salvage. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28288823

It has started its last trip.
Time lapse view
Latest Forum Posts