Non-motoring > Name this car quiz.   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 26

Name this car quiz. - R.P.
I'll post clues in the hard ones. Classify them as Reds (1pt) Colours (4 Pts) and I have a Black in mind as a tie-breaker - if we get that far. One guess each initially - correct

Each one of these cars were in the 1988 model year.

They are classified in the book according to type (i.e Hatch, Saloon, Estate, 4x4)
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 23:05

First one is in the estates section. It was new in that year....

"We have no doubts in making this car our best buy. It's a good looker, performs well and the best ride of any estate car on the UK market at the moment, if the ********** estate has a ride anywhere as good as the saloon, the situation could change. It's also highly practical and easy to live with on a day-to-day basis and there is to be a four wheel drive soon"

The price range was 8 to 12k - its nearest equivelent on the road now costs between 18k and 28K - and is invisible (well not really but I've not seen one on the road)

Two big clues in there. This a "red"
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 23:13

Name this car quiz. - Lygonos
Pug 405 ?

First one to Lygones.

Name this car quiz. - Dave_
>> well not really but I've not seen one on the road

Next door to me has a J-reg GRDT saloon still going strong.

They were lovely motors a colleague had an estate when they came out on an F - being a horsey type it seemed to fit her image - they are always red in my memory. Durable they were you still see them about around here.

Right another "red" I think....these were priced between 14k and staggering 31k in 1988 - you get them now for between 30k and 39k.

"Whether you spend 14k on the base ********* or 31k on the top of the range ********* you are buying an exceptionally versatile large car which is able to carry 5 people and their luggage in comfort over long distances. The **********'s Torson diff endows it with good cornering, grip and balance."

Top clues in there.....

>> Torson diff

It was TorSEN - short for TORque SENsing I think.

Audi 100 / A6, anyway :)

Spot on Dave. Avant (being an estate !) 31k eh ????

Name this car quiz. - -
Coo flippin eck i thought i was an anorak.;, well done Dave and Lygonos.

405 must go down as one of the best family type cars of all time.

The only Audi i've ever seriously fancied was the proper original Quattro.

Name this car quiz. - Zero

>> 405 must go down as one of the best family type cars of all time.

Does in my book, I had a 405 1.9 GRD with the non blown XUD. Cracker of a car,

Another "red"coming up.

This was priced at between 9k and 16k in this book. Still in Estates.

According to GBU in CAR magazine the equivalent is priced at between 17k and 21k (doesn't list the estate but they still do it) Makes the Audi looked hideously overpriced even at 1988 prices.

"********** estates have been with us for six years and have gradually developed and improved during that time. There is a very wide choice of engine and trim options and they are competitively priced. Interior space and comfort are well up to standard and the load space flexible, with its split folding rear seats. The load sill is right down to bumper level for easy access and the load area is flat."

There are two good clues in there if you know your motors.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 23:34

Vauxhall Astra.

I must go to bed soon.

Ford Sierra ?

Lygonos has it again. More later locked for now.

Right a colour this one - first answer only, clue is there...

It's in the sports car section...the clue is - remember it's 1988

"The ********* isn't just a sophisticated by Japanese standards : it's design is among the best anywhere. Had it a Porsche badge it could sell for double its 12.5k price tag - that's the hard top version - and there would undoubtedly still be a queue of customers. Part of the ******* appeal is that it has no direct rivals - the nearest is the Fiat X1/9 which although still in production and costing around 8.9k, has all but been forgotten about by the Italian firm and thus offers real little challenge..."

Name this car quiz. - -
Toyota MR2

Wow - could have gone for MX5 there - but as I say the clues were there...

OK - Not the biggest Hot Hatch - priced at 9.9k - its nearest equivalent (which looks just as striking) is priced around 18k. Call this a red...

"The *********is a bit on an anomily (sic) really, it isn't a performance hatchback even though it is marketed as a part of the ******** range, but neither is it a true sports-car.
It qualifies for the latter category because of its dynamics ; the drivetrain is excellent and the handling praiseworthy but this latest version has lost a little of the go-kart, almost boy racer feel of its predecessors that made it so much fun to drive...'

Name this car quiz. - swiss tony
>> OK - Not the biggest Hot Hatch - priced at 9.9k - its nearest equivalent
>> (which looks just as striking) is priced around 18k. Call this a red...
>>
VW Golf GTI
Last edited by: swiss tony on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 21:13

Name this car quiz. - -
>> OK - Not the biggest Hot Hatch - priced at 9.9k

Polo G40?...nah scratch that...Golf Driver.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 21:14

Name this car quiz. - Manatee
Toyota MR2?

Name this car quiz. - Zero
Toyota MR2 W20

Name this car quiz. - Focusless
Err... shouldn't this be in the Motoring section?

Yes.

CRX ?

Bingo Lygonos !

Latest Forum Posts