Non-motoring > War Horse Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 27

War Horse - Fullchat
Took the family to see the film last night. 2 1/2 hrs of solid entertainment. You'll laugh and you'll cry. Another Spielberg masterpiece.

Other than that I'll say nothing else for fear of spoiling it.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 14 Jan 12 at 19:50
 War Horse - R.P.
It's a good book.
 War Horse - zippy
Would love to see the play as well.
 War Horse - Manatee
I also saw it last night. It struck me as a classic children's film, except it's a PG13. It jarred a bit with me - a happy ending film (I don't think that's giving anything away) but with WW1 as a backdrop.

The group I was with enjoyed it on the whole, though one thought it a bit too Disney and the ones who'd seen the play were predictably disappointed.

The cinema was much fuller than for Iron Lady the week before, both were the first night of public release.
 War Horse - Dutchie
We are going to see the film next week looking forward to it.

Spielberg is a master a bit like Vermeer..;)
 War Horse - CGNorwich
Very mixed reviews from the critics. Have seen it given everything from 2 to 5 stars. Ominously those who I trust have gone for the lower end of the range. Will try to see it next week.
 War Horse - L'escargot
What's the difference between a war horse and a cart horse? The war horse darts into the fray, and the cart horse ..............!

:-D
 War Horse - Manatee
Very good, L'es. The jokes were never better than when I was in the 4th form :-)
 War Horse - L'escargot
>> Very good, L'es. The jokes were never better than when I was in the 4th
>> form :-)
>>

I recently told this joke to a pair of teenage relatives (one at university) and they both said "What's a dray?" Their vocabulary is obviously very small.
 War Horse - R.P.
Possibly one of the most moving memorials in France.

www.battlefield-tours.com/Horse_memorial.jpg

My grandfather was in the RHA in WW1 - when he was dying he had visions of the horses he served with.
 War Horse - Clk Sec
I'll probably wait until War Horse is available on DVD. Is that usually around three months?
 War Horse - Roger.
.........or screeners or cam captures on Torrents!
 War Horse - Zero
>> .........or screeners or cam captures on Torrents!

Already available.
 War Horse - Clk Sec
>>.........or screeners or cam captures on Torrents!

Or just pop into the local Blockbuster store with Nectar card!
 War Horse - R.P.
You'll need more than a Nectar card to dig a tunnel...!
 War Horse - Clk Sec
I was expecting that response a couple of hours ago, but it's rather quiet today.
 War Horse - R.P.
Went to see it tonight (being Orange Wednesday a bargain for 6.40 for two) - good film, well made a slight technical moan - they flagged the OTT scene as "The Somme 1918" the topography didn't "feel" right. More depth than the book though.
 War Horse - Iffy
...they flagged the OTT scene as "The Somme 1918" the topography didn't "feel" right...

Spielberg said on the radio he was very taken with the landscape of Dartmoor, so perhaps that's where it was shot.

War Horse - R.P.
Don't get me wrong iffy - the scenes were very, very well made and graphic - Another thing I recalled was a tale of a chap who looked after horses for the RHA - who came across one of his former charges in an auction in London at the end of the war. War is strange.

I explained myself badly, the Somme is very chalky ground, the ground in the film was more Flanders than France.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 20:00
 War Horse - Iffy
...Don't get me wrong iffy...

Don't think I did.

My knowledge of the film is limited to the interview I heard with Spielberg, so I was only guessing.

Very down-to-earth guy.

Not sure what I was expecting, probably someone a bit more arty and up his own backside.

War Horse - Cockle
>> they flagged the OTT scene as
>> "The Somme 1918" the topography didn't "feel" right.>>

More than the topography; the battle of the Somme was 1st July-13th November 1916.....
 War Horse - CGNorwich
Was there not a 2nd battle of the Somme in 1918?
 War Horse - Bromptonaut
>> Was there not a 2nd battle of the Somme in 1918?

Beat me to it - March April 1918.
 War Horse - R.P.
I knew about them...:-) Being picky though - beautifully made. The Cavalry charges and the aftermath were also beautifully made. I was privileged to visit Elouges with the late Richard Holmes where he described the desperate heroism of the Cheshires and the Cavalry reaguarding the Retreat....the last but one cavalry action of the British Army - suitably brave/stupid but impressed the Germans. The Cheshires were fighting with their Colours and they were picked up from the field of battle by a local peasant and kept hidden until 1918 when they were handed back to the Regiment - heartachingly sad.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 18 Jan 12 at 21:47
 War Horse - Fullchat
I have to admit that the scene at the Somme where the horse continued to rip through the barbed wire turned my stomach. However the next scene of the recovery lightened the mood.
 War Horse - Cliff Pope
Period films and dramas are always let down by the actors, vehicles, etc being too clean and well-maintained. Soldiers on the western front would have been filthy, not just artistically spattered with a bit of stage mud.
 War Horse - Meldrew
Speilberg is a master of lighting and camera angles IMO. I know there were credits given to a cameraman but I am sure he was doing what he was told. I loved the film and shall buy the DVD later to enjoy it again in the comfort of my home. Another thing that impressed me was the performances of the actors and actresses, only one of whom I had ever heard of before. Many of you may remember the then unknown Christian Bale playing the young man caught up in a Far East war in Empire of the Sun, another Spielberg film? An amazing performance and he has gone on to a very interesting acting career.
 War Horse - sherlock47
I saw the play last night, and generally I have not been enthusiastic about the West End productions that I have seen over the years. However in this case I must say that it was excellent and involving. The horses appeared to become real, to the point that you did not even see the 'animators'.

Thoroughly recommended!
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 24 Jan 12 at 15:09
Latest Forum Posts