Non-motoring > She's a witch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 5

She's a witch - Tooslow
OR - what happened to rational, logical thinking?

OR - the tale of FiLs "new" car.

So, Fil is up for a new car. Thinks he'll go for scrappage with his old (T?) Mondeo and he's got £8 to £10k. It's March so he'd better get his skates on. Now I know better than to offer advice so I wait until asked by Mrs Tooslow. Funnily enough some chap in the paper has advised a lady in similar circumstances to go for a Nissan Note or a Hyundai iThing. Even an i30 with heated seats and an auto box seems to come in at £8,xxx with scrappage, so I pass it to Mrs T. Funnily enough the Blackpool (that's where they live) Renault dealer also sells Hyundai so it would be easy to look at both uinder one roof.

FiL turns up in his new car. A 52 reg Clio. An 8 year old Renault. Is that wise? A bit of spec drift here.

It looks a posh one. Has "Initiale" written on the side if that means anything to Renault fans. Looking for something polite to say I remark "oh, it has headlamp washers", indicating the large, cone shaped lumps of grey plastic in front of the headlights. At least I assume that's what they are, seems logical. "No", says FiL, stoutly, "They're the sensors for the temperature display". Huh? So why are there two of them? Why are they visible instead of tucked away? Why are they out in the sun where the reading will be affected? I ducked. I let him get away with it.

A few years earlier I remarked "oh, it has a heated windscreen" when the Mondeo first showed up. I could just about see the elements if I went cross eyed and squinted. "Yes", he says. "There's hot air comes out here" he says, pointing at a solid lump of plastic at the base of the windscreen. That's a solid lump of plastic. As in, no holes. There's nothing going to come out of there, putting aside the physics of where does this hot air come from on a stony cold engine and the sheer volume and temperature needed.

He's a nice bloke but remarks like that are no better than "She's a witch" (refer to Monty Python at this point). There is no evidence, no logic, even when faced with a logical, reasonable counter arguement there is no doubt. just absolute certainty. Why do people do that? It makes me think Gordon has a chance :-(

JH
 She's a witch - Netsur
Reminds me of my MiL. No advice has ever been accepted even when sought......

She's a witch - Runfer D'Hills
I think we all have someone in the family like that. We, unfortunately, have an above average quota......

:-)
 She's a witch - Dog
((( It makes me think Gordon has a chance)))

"Many a true word spoken in jest" :-(
 She's a witch - Bellboy
think Witchfinder General (1968)
 She's a witch - bathtub tom
I remember being told the threaded boss on the back of a Mondy for a towing eye was in fact the air-con condensate drain.
Latest Forum Posts