Non-motoring > Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 13

Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Meldrew
I can't find a link to this so here is a brief summary

1. Man driving down the M1 found a swan on the carriageway.

2. Stopped, picked it up and put it into his car.

3. Rang the police and told them he intended to take it to a lake near Bedford and release it.

4. Police said they would meet him there.

5, He got there and they didn't so he released it and saw it into the lake.

6. Hours later they arrived at his home address to discuss the matter with him, this was to include a search of his property, including his oven, to make sure he wasn't cooking it.

7. He showed them the back seat of his car, tastefully garnished with swan poo, and they left. satisfied that no crime had been committed.

If I ever see a swan loose on the road it can take its chances!

Summarised fro today's DT
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Armel Coussine
I noticed that story too. The fuzz can be very lumpish sometimes. Centralized call centres run by civilians may have something to do with it. Communication is a bit random apparently, often less than perfect.
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Lygonos
What an idiot!

Imagine if a swan on your back seat decided it really wanted to be outside - you wouldn't stand a chance....
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - CGNorwich
Let alone stopping on the motorway for a non emergencyin the first place
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Zero
It must have been some dead swan, most of the ones I know would have your eyes out rather than allow themselves to be "picked up" and "put in the back of a car"
A large creature capable of flying and loose on a motorway may not be an emergency but it has great potential to become one. I wouldn't want a swan through my windscreen but I wouldn't stop on a motorway to anything about one either.
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Cliff Pope
My only close encounter with a swan was once when I very nearly rammed its nest by accident when rowing along a narrow creek.
It chased me for 2 miles, flapping along the water trying to get into the dinghy, while I rowed frantically.
When you are only at water level yourself an angry swan is very very scary. Nothing would ever induce me go within 10 yards of one again, let alone try and pick one up.
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Roger.
What is wrong with cooking a swan?
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - spamcan61
>> What is wrong with cooking a swan?
>>

I think they all belong to the queen, and she doesn't like plebs cooking her property ;-)

I'm going to be Googling 'swan recipes' in a minute
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 16:13
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - PeterS
Perhaps the Queen would be so kind as to pick up the tab for valeting the good samaritans car then ;-)
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - Zero
you have to nick the goose to go in it.

and the duck to go in the goose

As far as cooking it goes, you are stealing if from the Crown, belongs to the Queen (if its a mute swan - (and it will pretty mute after 120 mins at gas mark 6)
The queen has the right of ownership of native swans in the UK but chooses not to exercise it. She shares them with two London City Livery Companies

Traditionally, the Monarch of the United Kingdom retains the right to ownership of all unmarked mute swans in open water, but only exercises ownership on certain stretches of the River Thames and its surrounding tributaries. This dates from the 12th century, during which time swans were a common food source for royalty. Swan upping is a means of establishing a swan census, and today also serves to check the health of swans. Under a Royal Charter of the 15th century, the Vintners' Company and the Dyers' Company, two Livery Companies of the City of London, are entitled to share in the Sovereign's ownership.
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - CGNorwich
" Swan upping is a means of establishing a swan census"

That's what they all say.
 Being a Good Citizen - Why Bother? - DeeW
I believe Charlotte Morrison also owns some at Abbotsbury in Dorset. She inherited the Ilchester estates from her mother, Lady Teresa, who was the only surviving child of the Earl - one brother died in Cyprus and the other in a shooting accident.
Latest Forum Posts