Non-motoring > Top of the Pops - 1977.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 13

Top of the Pops - 1977.... - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01932g9/Top_of_the_Pops_The_Story_of_1977/

Cracking programme, maybe even Rattle would enjoy the roots of his beloved Punk...
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Dave_
Wrong forum, shurely...? Needs a moderator to sort out ;)

I've been playing with the DAB radio in the kitchen today, discovered that Absolute 80's and Absolute 90's now have enough signal strength to be listenable. Don't think I'll have R2 on quite so much any more...
Whoops !
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Dog
BBC Radio 6 has it's moments as well.
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - MD
Cheers Rob, I've just watched the whole thing. Takes one back eh! what ho!

Two bottles of Thwaites 'Very' Nutty black smoothed the way though.

Regards...................Martin.
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Roger.
For a change a good TV evening.
Classic BBC comedy with The Good Life, Fawlty Towers and Steptoe & Son followed by Top of the Pops from the mid 1960s to 1975.

Top of the Pops - 1977.... - CGNorwich
Well if you haven't seen them a dozen times already perhaps.
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Robin O'Reliant
That was a great programme, two things stood out for me. One was how dreadful pop music had become before new wave came along and shook it up, and the other was how policemen looked like proper figures of authority before they started wearing Mister Blobby outfits instead of real uniforms.
Wasn't much a fan of the Stranglers, but I have to concede how good they actually sound in retrospect and how the establishment conspired to keep them off the No1 spot, what were they scared of ?
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Iffy
...and the other was how policemen looked like proper figures of authority before they started wearing Mister Blobby outfits instead of real uniforms...

I also thing the adoption of slacks, fleeces and the like was a mistake.

To use a motoring analogy, a traffic cop told me he didn't often need the performance of a big car, but he had more authority stepping out of one than he would a supermini.

Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Bromptonaut
On the dreadfulness point I was particularly struck by the woman doing the duet with Mr Punch.

I suspect one of those summer holiday things like Y Viva Espana and Going to Barbados.

Do such records still get made?
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Armel Coussine
I enjoyed the comments by musicians and by wicked old tin pan alley spivs, and also a lot of the music which was every bit as bad as I remembered it.

TOTP had an appalling format, those lines of young depressed girls in mini dresses bopping unconvincingly after being lined up, pretty ones at the front, by the old monsters running the show. The bands too were briskly re-imaged for the show with a bit of choreographed movement and some matching schmutter. Even poor Bob Marley seemed to have been given the treatment. Apart from the Pistols and the brilliant three-year-old politician William Hague, virtually no one was allowed to perform properly. And those cold-eyed, bullying, motor-mouthed cynics shoving everyone around, the ghastly and (by me) unlamented Jimmy Saville and the others hardly any better... Yes, I really did enjoy it and so did herself. There's nothing better than having one's prejudices triumphantly confirmed.
Summed it up for me, nonetheless I enjoyed it.
 Top of the Pops - 1977.... - Armel Coussine
>> nonetheless I enjoyed it.

So did I Rob, really. Among other things it reminded me that I am one of the few, er, native British who can dance properly.

Perhaps some of the nubile Pan's People could dance all right if left to their own devices, but of course they were always burdened with that far-too-busy choreographed crap. Still, they were better (and a lot less girly) than the lead singer of the Rolling Stones who should really have made more of an effort to keep still. I am afraid vanity may have overcome his native shrewdness on that matter.
Latest Forum Posts