Non-motoring > Tefal Actifry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 16

Tefal Actifry - BobbyG
Anyone got one of these "deep fat fryers" that just take a miniscule amount of oil?

Friend has one and I have tasted the chips out it which were excellent but he now has another one as someone gave him one as a Christmas present.

Thinking of possibly buying it from him though they are very dear and up to now I have managed to survive with oven chips (using a neat basket thing that I bought in Aldis).

Apparently you can do all sorts of things in them from chips, parsnips and chilli !
 Tefal Actifry - Focusless
Looks interesting, although not cheap.

627 reviews on Amazon, with a good ratio of 5* to 1*. Looks like longevity might be the main issue:
www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000T76UOE
 Tefal Actifry - Meldrew
If you want one Currys sell it at the same price and might be easier to deal with if it breaks or catches fire, which seem possible.
 Tefal Actifry - rtj70
Don't mention fires to BobbyG. That must have put him off if true.
 Tefal Actifry - WillDeBeest
...a good ratio of 5* to 1*...

Try eliminating the 5s and 1s; you'll lose a few useful reviews and a lot of I-plugged-it-in-and-the-light-came-on dross. I reckon that leaves 98 4s, 38 3s and 32 2s from people who at least took a moment to think before posting.

I thought about the Actifry when it first came out. Jonathan Margolis gave it a complimentary write-up on his Technopolis page for the FT, but it's surprisingly bulky and rather plasticky in its construction, which has led to a few alarming incidents in which the things have melted or caught fire, as noted in the Amazon reviews. I decided I'd rather have a conventional fryer, one day. That day still hasn't come.
 Tefal Actifry - Zero
Nothing gets "deep fat fried" in my house in the conventional sense.

nearest it comes is a wok.
 Tefal Actifry - Iffy
Nothing to stop you 'dry frying' chips in a few drops of oil in good quality non-stick pan with a heavy lid on it.

The Actifry keeps the food moving to stop burning, so you'd have to do that yourself by shaking the pan.

Tefal Actifry - scousehonda
We've had one for about 2 years. It's absolutely superb. For once I have no argument with Zero's philosophy - I wouldn't have a deep fat fryer anywhere near the house but the Actifry does a magnificent job with hardly any oil at all.
 Tefal Actifry - Roger.
You can't make scotch eggs or doughnuts in an Actifry!
 Tefal Actifry - Zero
There is no doughnut as good as a Krispy Kreme anyway, so dont do them at home.
 Tefal Actifry - Boxsterboy
No New Year diets for you, then!
 Tefal Actifry - Zero
Let me check my list,,,

Nope!
 Tefal Actifry - CGNorwich
Nearest Krispy Kreme to me is Bishops Stortford but I do note there is one in Birmingham so might be worth a trip there after all.
 Tefal Actifry - Zero
Its not worth the extra miles past BS.
 Tefal Actifry - WillDeBeest
If you have a Tesco Extra you can probably get 'em there.
 Tefal Actifry - mikeyb
Krispy Kreme drive through near a colleagues house. He sometimes brings em in to the office....

Friend had an actifry which broke. The replacement failed just out of warranty so he hasnt bothered replacing. Said it was really good when it worked though
 Tefal Actifry - MD
Deep fry in a Wok. It won't overdo and catch fire due to the expansion provided by the increasing diameter.

Better still for chips: Cut yer own. Dry. Place on baking tray having drizzled chilli olive oil over them and stick em in an oven (ours is electrickery) for about 15 mins @ 250 deg. De-lish-ars.
Latest Forum Posts