Non-motoring > Stove paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

Stove paint - BobbyG
Out in my hut / shed / pub / gamesroom / man creche I have one of these

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/barrel-cast-iron-stove

but the surface is becoming rusty probably due to the condensation being left in the room after use and also the fact that the instructions said to "cure" it initially you should keep it burning for 7 days solid. Mmm pretty difficult to do that!!!

So am thinking of painting it to see if this helps "seal" it as well as make it look better. From the same shop you can get

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-sp5-heat-resistant-stove-paint-matt-b#reviews

anyone used this or similar? Would hammerite do the same job?
 Stove paint - -
I bought some 'Chiminea paint' from ebay to coat the exhaust closest to the manifold on the pick up, didn't paint the manifold itself but i expect it owuld have stood the test..

Despite being unbelievably thin, it went on well and did the job, ISTR about £8 a tin, how that compares with what you've linked to i couldn't say, but might give a few results to compare with if you google the stuff.
 Stove paint - Dog
Sum info ere: www.stovesonline.co.uk/heat-resistant-spray-paint.html
 Stove paint - Dave
Heat resistant paint will always fall off with heat. You need 'stove black', or whatever it's called in the UK. It's like boot polish that you rub in, then sort of polish. It stinks a bit when the fire is first lit. You than have a matt black finish that is correct for cast iron. But it won't stop it rusting though.
 Stove paint - Clk Sec
>> You need 'stove black', or whatever
>> it's called in the UK. It's like boot polish that you rub in, then sort
>> of polish.

Dave's right. I've used the stuff myself many moons ago, but can't remember what it was called. It's applied and polished off with brushes, rather like cleaning shoes.
 Stove paint - Old Navy
Is this the stuff?

tinyurl.com/dx2xadz
 Stove paint - CGNorwich
www.amazon.co.uk/Manor-Stove-Grate-Polish-Black/dp/B000TAQTS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325173463&sr=8-1
 Stove paint - Clk Sec
ON's link looks like a similar type of stove polish that I have used in the distant past, although not the same brand name, and in a tin rather than a toothpaste tube.

Stove paint - Pat
My Mum used to call it Blacking.

Pat
 Stove paint - Zero
Yup, "Blacking the grate"
 Stove paint - Dave
Probably can't say that any more.
 Stove paint - Old Navy
>> Probably can't say that any more.
>>

Why not, stuff the PC brigade, this is my country!

Are we to ban black paint?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 20:07
 Stove paint - Roger.
Perhaps we could call it "non-patrial" paint? That does leave plenty of room for different shades!
Latest Forum Posts