Non-motoring > how to sell silver? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 4

how to sell silver? - Focusless
My parents want to sell some silver stuff which is currently sitting in cupboards not doing anything; it's mostly inherited from mum's mum I believe. It's their 50th anniversary a year tomorrow and they're thinking that any proceeds could be added to a special celebration fund.

There's not that much - photo here:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF0746.jpg

What would be the best way to sell this? There's no particular hurry.
 how to sell silver? - Stuu
Solid or plated?

Ebay is pretty good for this sort of stuff although id give it a good clean and try and work out who made it and roughly when.

If its solid and by a good maker might be worth putting in a proper auction, otherwise id let the collectors on Ebay have a punt, its a good known source of old tat.
 how to sell silver? - teabelly
I'd also check out local auction houses. They often do free valuations. Would give you an idea what the stuff is worth. Or try and get it on cash in the attic. They like a good story like that :)
 how to sell silver? - R.P.
Check out the hallmarks - it'll confirm their actually silver (EPNS is plated) - check in their weigh in value for scrap (!) maybe worth more like that. A reputable antique dealer or three may be the best way. Christies do an online valuation - by e-mailing photos to them. Don't think they charge.
 how to sell silver? - Focusless
Thanks chaps - comments passed on and taken on board.
Latest Forum Posts