Non-motoring > New build - thermal insulation standard Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 10

New build - thermal insulation standard - Dulwich Estate
I shouldn't be surprised but maybe I am........

No.1 son has blessed us with a two day visit from the cold windswept North where he lives in a new build flat. He has complained that the modest detached several winged mansion here, which we call home, is cold. He persists in padding about in only bare feet and wearing just a T shirt, but that's another story. In the meantime, the condensing gas boiler has been pumping out (expensive) heat since before dawn.

He tells me that in his electrically (only) heated flat that he hasn't even switched on a single heater yet this winter but often needs to open the windows.

Modern thermal insulation is clearly the way of the future (and the present for some).
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Fenlander
>>>Modern thermal insulation is clearly the way of the future (and the present for some).

Very true... parents live in a modern highly insulated house and their gas bills are tiny and it's always warm.

I'm quite pleased to have moved from 1920s solid 9" walls to 1990s cavity brick with insulation. Just collected 10 rolls of 200mm loft insulation (at £3 a roll!) to top ours up to 300mm.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 24 Dec 11 at 11:34
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Dog
=>I'm quite pleased to have moved from 1920s solid 9" walls<=

+1 ... but now to 2ft thick granite walls, so cottage heats up quickly, and retains the heat much better.
 New build - thermal insulation standard - henry k
In our 1930s house there are 9" solid walls except where the upstairs bedroom bays have just 4" walls
We still get cold calling re cavity insulation. Ho hum

>>>now to 2ft thick granite walls..

Yes indeed... I have farming relatives with similar thickness of red sandstone... and a fireplace you could park a car in.

Our new place is very much the Mondeo of houses and will be a change after the involved maintenance of previous 1910, 1890, 1950, 1975, 1850 & 1920 houses.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 24 Dec 11 at 14:05
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Zero
>> >>>now to 2ft thick granite walls..
>>
>> Yes indeed... I have farming relatives with similar thickness of red sandstone... and a fireplace
>> you could park a car in.
>>
>> Our new place is very much the Mondeo of houses and will be a change
>> after the involved maintenance of previous 1910, 1890, 1950, 1975, 1850 & 1920 houses.

You think? punctured vapour barriers, rotten wood, crap plumbing, stapled together roof truss.

keep the tools handy.
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Dulwich Estate
"You think? punctured vapour barriers, rotten wood, crap plumbing, stapled together roof truss.

keep the tools handy."

Agree with you 100% on that one. Throw in woodchip flooring, feeble doors and partitions. The total effect may keep you warmer for a while, but I don't think many modern homes will be standing after the eighty-odd years that the typical 1930s semi has survived - and will for at least another 100.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Sat 24 Dec 11 at 14:39
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Old Navy
>>I don't think many
>> modern homes will be standing after the eighty-odd years that the typical 1930s semi has
>> survived - and will for at least another 100.
>>

I would rather be nice and warm with the heating ticking over now and again on the thermostat thanks, and fuel prices are only going one way. The modern well insulated house will outlast me several times over.
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Old Navy
Missed the edit:-

The house survived the recent 100+mph storm without any problems other than the wheely bin being blown over. :-)
>>>"You think?

Well rather "I know"or I wouldn't have bought!

>>>keep the tools handy.

Ha the only stuff I've moved in so far is the garage/workshop contents which is a lifetime of tools/equipment from renovating and maintaing the previous old places. I reckon next door are convinced a builder's arrived. After this month's initial titivating I reckon none of the gear will see much action for the next ten years.

As I say it's a Mondeo not a classic Rolls and as such will do nicely for a while.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 24 Dec 11 at 15:04
 New build - thermal insulation standard - Dog
>>and will be a change after the involved maintenance of previous 1910, 1890, 1950, 1975, 1850 & 1920 houses<<

Ah! - you rolled your sleeves up and got stuck in then, a Cornishman said to me only 3 properties ago that a 'period' property is a money pit, which can be only too true, but I bought one that had had the money thrown at it already - new roof, floors, windows etc., etc.,

Looks 18th century, which it is essentially, but with 21st century comforts :)
Latest Forum Posts