Non-motoring > sell your house today Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 16

sell your house today - Bellboy
if you live on a dastardly flight path close that sale today in the peaceful bliss of quietness
go on you know you want to
noise here mate?
nah always this quiet
 sell your house today - bathtub tom
Spoken like a true car salesman.

Flogged any dead horses lately? :>)
 sell your house today - Runfer D'Hills
Friend of mine bought a house years ago which seemed a bit of a bargain. Nicely presented and with a well kept back garden which featured a high hedge as it's reamost boundary. He went to see the house on a couple of occasions but both on a Sunday. New to the area, he didn't twig that behind the hedge was a main railway line which was of course much less busy on a Sunday. It was however, very busy in the week especially through the night with freight traffic.......
 sell your house today - rtj70
There will likely be unhappy people due to the Manchester Metrolink tramline extension from Manchester to East Didsbury. It will be using the old, disused railway line (line is not even there). So a lot of properties that back onto the old line will be affected. I bet it affects values too. It's probably been decades like this.

The plus side is Metrolink stations for commuters. Although going from East Didsbury to Manchester via Chorlton and Trafford isn't the shortest route. The East Didsbury railway station is minutes from the city centre.
 sell your house today - Iffy
Reminds me of a story told to me by a car trader I used to know.

He was, to put it simply, short, and once bought a VW Beetle with a dent in its roof.

The trader who was selling the car deliberately offered it to my mate because he knew he wasn't tall enough to see the damage.

Another thing I was told when buying in the trade is make sure it goes backwards as well as forwards.

It's very much 'buyer beware' and reverse is something that's easy to overlook when appraising a car.

I know a ( true ) story about dents in the roof of a VW Beetle. Not sure if I can go into the fine detail here but suffice it to say they were caused by high heels from the inside......
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 16:56
 sell your house today - bathtub tom
That was a rite of passage when I was a lad. I think we all faked it.
This guy didn't fake it. It was his mum's, then brand new, Beetle. He was grounded for weeks.....
 sell your house today - Armel Coussine
>> It's very much 'buyer beware' and reverse is something that's easy to overlook when appraising a car.

I did that once ifithelps, at an auction of course. That beguilingly cheap cheapo Citroen must have gone through dozens of times. 'There's one born every minute,' they used to say. A thousand every second more like.

sell your house today - Ted
>> There will likely be unhappy people due to the Manchester Metrolink tramline extension from Manchester

Runs at the bottom of my garden, Rob, as you probably know.
Most people I've spoken to are really looking forward to it coming. We miss the trains, last one, a block container train ran in Oct 87 and it's been too quiet since.

House values near the stations, as mine is, should go up, but parking may be the concern. No-one looked ahead, this line was projected years ago. There was a disused tennis club right next to our local station and instead of earmarking it for parking, the owneres were allowed to sell the plot and have a dozen little houses built .
I can see a few ' double yellows ' going down around the area, particularlyon the railway bridge.
At the moment, some track is down and the stations are being built. A passenger lift is being added to ours..

Ted
I knew you were in the area Ted but didn't know it would be that close. Doesn't sound like it will bother you. Seeing how it goes via Withington and Didsbury it does make me wonder if it will be a positive or negative for house prices.

For East Didsbury it will be quicker and probably cheaper to still use the train instead of Metrolink.
 sell your house today - crocks
>>At the moment, some track is down and the stations are being built.
>>The last train ran in Oct 87 and it's been too quiet since.

I think you've got the noisiest bit at the moment. When they start running you'll probably still think it's too quiet....... unless you are on a sharp bend and get flange squeal!
No bends at all ,Crocky. Its the old main line from Manchester Central to St Pancras.

I found this picture in one of my books, taken about 1961.

tinyurl.com/yykabem

We live about 200 yds behind the camera. The new station is being built where the signalbox was and there would have been a good park and ride on the tennis courts behind had they looked forward and not built cheap houses there !
The line will go on under the bridge in the distance, where I spent my trainspotting childhood, to Didsbury and eventually to Stockport. It crosses all the major routes from the South at right angles and runs through the centre of a large and wealthy residential area.
Somewhere beyond the signal, the branch to Manchester Airport will swing off to the right meeting up and running along the road that runs over the bridge.
The lines to the left are the old LNER tracks to Guide Bridge and on to Woodhead and Sheffield....now a cycle and walking trail. The house I was brought up in backs on to this line about 300 yds off photo......haven't moved far !

Bore mode off.....for now !

Ted
Last edited by: silence of the cams on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 22:36
>> to Didsbury and eventually to Stockport

I'd be surprised if this is now possible. It will end in east Didsbury. The old line does not exist to Stockport. Or so I believe.

And a 3 minute walk from the end of the Metrolink in East Didsbury is a mainline railway station to Manchester. I suspect the link goes this far on the Metrolink because the railway line also goes to Manchester airport in the other direction.

The cut and cover is going to be under Didsbury Road after leaving the Kingsway terminus.
I suspect the main purpose of the line to East Didsbury , as I said, is to tap into the residential areas on the track route before then. East Didsbury is a logical and obvious place to terminate.

Also,of course, there will be commuters to other areas apart from the City who might find it convenient to travel to Trafford Bar, for Altrincham, and Cornbrook, for Eccles, The Quays and Media City, etc.

I suppose, with changes of work patterns over the last years, there will be folk who now use the main line and have to go onward from Piccadilly, who will change to the Metro to make the journey to North Manchester and the new lines to Oldham and Rochdale in one journey.

It'll be an interesting time, the next few years.

Ted
 sell your house today - MD
Get back down 'ere Ted.

Nah....Tram free zone down there !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts