Non-motoring > Push or Fetch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 8

Push or Fetch - MD
Can any kindly soul explain the difference when applied to mobile e-mail please. (Motorola defy).
 Push or Fetch - Zero
1 Fetch

Your phone logs onto your normal Email provider mail account, and downloads your email. It does this a: when you ask it to, or b: when set to do so by a schedule (every hour say)

2 Push,

your email provider has to provide this. Your phone is synched with your email provider, and every time new email arrives it will poll your device to see if its there, and send it.

In effect Push is email by email as it arrives, Fetch is batched up emails when you check.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Dec 11 at 08:08
 Push or Fetch - R.P.
My work Blackberry could "grasp" simple text e-mails quicker than they arrived at my desktop - Blackberry were/are the best at this.
 Push or Fetch - Zero
Till the famous 5 day outage where it lost its grasp BIG time. An event that could even mean the death of the company in the longer term
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Dec 11 at 08:58
 Push or Fetch - rtj70
Not looking that good for Research in Motion in some respects. Besides the embarrassing outage (that may push many businesses towards iPhone), they have just delayed the Blackberry 10 based devices. And even messed that up because the name they were adopting (BBX) is already taken.
 Push or Fetch - Hard Cheese

Fetch works best for me, I dont need to check email on the phone very day and when I do it just pulls down the last five days worth on three accounts.

Push or Fetch - movilogo
RIM is fast loosing its customer base. Their forte was corporate customers because of their superior security. But many commercial organizations are now leaning towards iphone/android devices.

No doubt Blackberry security is better but for 99% of emails, it hardly matters if someone outside the company reads the mail. For rest 1% of mails (the truly sensitive mails), they should be sent via emails in the first place.

Most smartphones (non blackberry) can now fetch emails. So it is no longer USP for RIM.
 Push or Fetch - MD
Thanks Zeddo.
 Push or Fetch - Fursty Ferret
Push email has a significant battery impact.
Latest Forum Posts