Non-motoring > Predictions for the Election Debate tonight Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 23

Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Stuu
Anyone have a clue what we are about to see? I think the ban on heckling from the crowd is terrible, I want to see how unflappable these guys are under pressure!
I hear Cameron is sitting centre stage, I wonder who he leant on to get that!
Im definately going to watch it though given that Our Great Leader isnt that quick on his feet, its almost a pleasure to see the dictator scrambling around for answers.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 01:08
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - smokie
Saw the first 5 mins but decided it was nothing new. It might be for those who don't much follow news & current affairs but as a fairly avid R4 news listener it didn't seem to be extending my experience much. I'll probably regret not watching.

I don't really care how the leader performs, under pressure or not. I don't really believe that there is much between the party policies either. And I mostly believe that the real policy makers are in the corridors of power of Whitehall, not Westminster.

But then - I also happen to believe that our Gordon is OK. IMO he has the best brain of the lot but not the looks & personality to go with it, and it is looks not brain which will win over the populace, many of whom make odd choices when voting in X Factor never mind a General Election.

And btw I'm not a Labour supporter...never have been...and (probably) never will be.
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - Zero
> But then - I also happen to believe that our Gordon is OK

the same gordon that wanted to sack his chancelor then change his mind?
The same gordon that wanted to call an election then changed his mind?
The same Grodon that has no comprehension of driving or motoring, having never having had a driving license?
The same gordon who bullies his staff in fits of rage?

The man is unfit to run burger stall. let alone the country. Its all about leadership. He has none, zilch zero.
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - Bromptonaut

>> The same Grodon that has no comprehension of driving or motoring having never >>having had a driving license?

As is well known he could not hold a license on account of his limimted eyesight.
>>
>> >> The same Grodon that has no comprehension of driving or motoring having never >>having
>> had a driving license?
>>
>> As is well known he could not hold a license on account of his limimted
>> eyesight.

The reasons are unimportant. The effect on his policies is the same.
Zero,

Are you saying anybody with visual impairment is disqualified from being PM?
Lots of reasons to oppose Brown (though I'm stuck for positives on his oponents) but I don't think disability is one of them.
>> Zero
>>
>> Are you saying anybody with visual impairment is disqualified from being PM?
>> Lots of reasons to oppose Brown (though I'm stuck for positives on his oponents) but
>> I don't think disability is one of them.

You know, thinking about it, Yes I am.

The real world experience of someone who is totaly blind or profoundly deaf would I suggest disqualify them from running the country.

Tho it appears being mentally deranged is no bar to public office.
Any motoring questions?

I only managed 5 minutes before leaving the room in a torrent of expletives.

Bromptonette (17 and at first election with which she's politicaly engaged) lasted until Cameron started on education before following in father's footsteps.
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - Stuartli
>>I also happen to believe that our Gordon is OK.>>

On what basis?
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - Stuu
The only thing that I recall is that GB does look rather like the Churchill dog doesnt he :-)
It was way too stage managed.
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - bathtub tom
>>It was way too stage managed.

Of course it was, it's all become a media circus.

We've got one who sold our gold reserves at a knockdown price.

A hypocrite who's photographed on a bike with a helmet hanging from the handlebars.

.*********

Edit. ********** reads:
I'll be sodomised if I vote for the other one. Remember Jeremy Thorpe?
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Thu 15 Apr 10 at 23:29
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - VxFan
I went on the internet to get away from it. Looks like I failed.
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - lancara
"I hear Cameron is sitting [Standing?] centre stage, I wonder who he leant on to get that!"

Strange you put that as an advantage - in fact it was a disadvantage as he was dealing with questions from both sides. GB had to be on the right because of his Nelson impersonation; the other two drew lots, and will change about next time
Last edited by: lancara on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 07:36
 Preictions for the Election Debate tonite - Dog
>>> But then - I also happen to believe that our Gordon is OK <<<

The same Gordon who was paymaster for 2 ill conceived war's in the Middle East.

The same Gordon who allowed immigration to increase 8 fold in the past 13 years.

I gave up on 'the prog' after 20 mins but I'll be interested in others opinions today via the wireless etc.

Re: Clegg ... it reminds me of when I was in an Approved School in the 1960's and on 'open day' when we had games, I competed in a race, led the field from the orf, only to be overtaken in the last 50 yrds.
That will be Clegg's fate I'll wager.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Tooslow
I have to admit I didn't watch but the only thing of any interest that can come out of this is if Gordon throws a wobbler. Or walks on wearing his underpants on his head.

JH
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - bathtub tom
>>walks on wearing his underpants on his head

Now that I would bother to watch.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Manatee
I watched it, but it's so depressing that we won't get any proper debate and insight into what these people who want to be in charge really intend and believe and how competent they really are.

The whole thing is just point scoring and playing to the gallery. The only reason Clegg, who I wouldn't trust to wash my car any more than the other two, won is that he didn't do so much of that - a smart move that worked because the other two stuck to the usual pantomime argument script.

GB is clearly trying to position himself as the man to trust with the management of the economy, which must underpin all the other ideas and intentions - he must think we have the memory of a goldfish.

I know I have a duty to vote but I am going to find it very difficult, and will probably end up voting for the candidate rather than the party - not that my vote under the current system will affect the result, the constituency will return a Tory as always.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Dog
It wouldn't have mattered (to me) if Cameron came on dressed as a Andy Pandy and spoke clear gibberish whilst the other two shone with the radiance of a thousand Sun's.
To be perfectly absolutely 100% honest (I should have become a Politician) my true hope is that we dump this Labour Government ASAP, and to achieve that end we have to look toward the Blue corner.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Mapmaker
I listened on the Radio and (though I admit this may be biased towards what I want) I thought Cameron the easy winner.

Clegg seemed to whinge and whine. GB was GB.

I must say I do not understand why the Lib Dems are given as much time as the two major parties. They are very irritating to the British political system, and I should much rather see a strong Labour gov't than a hung parliament.
>> I must say I do not understand why the Lib Dems are given as much
>> time as the two major parties. They are very irritating to the British political system
>> and I should much rather see a strong Labour gov't than a hung parliament.

Irritating? I'm sure Gord would like both the Lib Dems and the irritating Tories removed as well.

The problem is the first past the post system which makes minority parties irelevant and forces people to vote against their least favoured big party rather than in line with their beliefs.

Clare Short on the wireless the other day said that the Commons has become an irrelevance; there's never more than a handful in the chamber, nothing is properly debated, everything is guillotined and passed by the ruling party majority, and the Lords despite the defects in its constitution does a much better job of amending legislation. A hung parliament would at least have to debate proposed legislation and would certainly be more democratic.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Zero
"I watched it, but it's so depressing that we won't get any proper debate and insight into what these people who want to be in charge really intend and believe and how competent they really are."

You had your answer in your question.

The intent is to be in charge. Power for powers sake.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Roger.
Thoughts on the "debate" from Old Holborn, (Independent candidate in Cambridge and political blogger)

The whole farce was a snapshot of how the politicians and hacks treat us.

The Audience were compelled to sit there in stony silence listening to how these three idiots were going to spend THEIR money, Dear God, they were also wired up to some machine to allow MORI to gauge their reaction.

I did not look at the 'Leaders' I looked at the faces of the audience, how many did you count chewing their lips in suppressed rage.

Alistair Stewart (allowed out from his 'Stop Police you are wonderful' persona) was the ref. Why oh why, him ?

The question-time format is far better, where if an ego driven politician is talking
bilge, the audience erupts into a cacophony of rage and groans.

This was a beauty contest without the beauties, a complete and utter waste of time.

We the people should be partaking in OUR democracy, not sitting in a stony silence wired up to a machine. We get just one chance to vote in a rigged system and we are told to collectively told shut up and be quiet. No wit, no style, no flair - sanitised to death.

This is a dystopia from 1984 and Bladerunner.

The Prisoner remake starts Saturday, how apt.
 Predictions for the Election Debate tonight - Stuu
I must say, I enjoyed Question Time afterwards much more. That Labour guy on there ( I forget which one he is, they all look like snivelling accountants ) seemed incredibly full of himself, I dont like the way that man carries himself at all - he has a 'punch me' face!
Suprise of that prog was Farage managing to get a decent round of applause - he doesnt lend himself to being applauded - he is even more public schoolboy than Cameron, if you believe that is possible!

I dont really think that the parties themselves are wrong in terms of their philosophies, its just the people working in politics arent 'real' enough.

I actually like Charles Kennedy because he isnt always a puppet to the Liberals cause and actually speaks his mind I think on occasion and he has displayed human behaviour - this I have far more respect for than the stage managed rot that we often get. I like Boris Johnson, not because he is good at anything although I sometimes wonder if he lulls people into a false sense of security on that, but I like him because he is a blithering idiot and unashamedly so.

I think MPs have become so far remove from Mr Average on the street and there is this Westminster perception that the public expect them to be perfect model human beings - given that very few of us are, it seems to me that the more human side, the genuinely human side, is something to be desired, not hidden.
Boris is far from being an idiot, so yes he has lulled you into a false sense of security ;-)
Latest Forum Posts