Non-motoring > Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 - BobbyG
I have received notification from the factors for one of our shops that they are planning major roof works.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, they are proudly saying that they initially tendered for these works in 2008 and the winning tender company has agreed to honour these prices.

However, I am thinking that over the course of the last 3 years, the backside has fallen out the "buildings" industry and surely we should be seeking new tenders as may get cheaper prices.

Am I right? Anyone have any relevant info in this respect? Martin?
 Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 - MD
Can it get any cheaper? I am a bit out of touch with commercial work and it may pay to get a QS to give a view (if of course his fees don't tear the rear end out of the budget in the first place). He (the QS) may also be sitting on his bum at home given the flat lining of some markets and therefore may be grateful for something to do, I kid you not.

When you say 'Factors' does that mean Landlord? If it does I would be looking for a connection between the 'Factor' and the Contractor to see how much (if any) back scratching was occuring.

However we supposedly hit the pfd in 2008 they tell us and we 'may' be slightly better off now so the facts may stack. Open mind Bobby..........open mind.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 00:58
 Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 - rtj70
What work needs doing? Does in include materials?

We had the chimney repointed and leading done in 2006. When we needed some other work doing the roofer said they couldn't even get the lead for the price we'd paid for the previous job!

Do tell what the Sony Arc is like as a phone too :-)
Lead price currently £2.50 per Kilo max + the dreaded VALUE ADDED TAX (sic)
 Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 - RattleandSmoke
I thought lead was correctly very expensive?
 Roofing Costs 2008 vs 2011 - RattleandSmoke
Does flashing have to be done with lead? Our roof is going to need a lot of work next year, it certainly at a minimum will need re flashing and a few slates replacing.
Well I've only known it done in lead.... it's pliable. It needs to be bent 90 degree 'ish between roof and chimney. Martin might know what else can be used.

The cost of doing just the lead flashing on the chimney in 2006 was about £200. That did not include scaffolding because the guy was a bit of a risk taker. Health and safety wise you'd need scaffolding. So in today's money at least another £200-£250 on top.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 12 Dec 11 at 22:57
£200 is cheap if it was done properly and with the right weight of lead.
This was 2006 remember! And he went up the roof without scaffolding. If you fell from the height of that old house (4 bed Edwardian) onto the drive... you'd be most certainly dead or very badly injured.

I know it was well done because it turns out the water coming in was not the chimney. The next roofer (who did a full repointing and wanted scaffolding) commented on the good lead work... And then it turned out to be a ridge tile.... more scaffolding :-(

So sorted in the end and house sold a few years later. I wonder if this one needs scaffolding being a little bit smaller.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 12 Dec 11 at 23:05
Apparently the last time the job was done,(1986) the lead was stripped off and replaced with Nurolite lead substitute. This was done to meet budget criteria.

However this time they are going to be using lead as they believe its false economies to use substitutes.

Total bill for the whole building is £209,000, this undercut the next lowest tender by £90k and the company that has won this tender has won the last 8 roofing tenders from this housing association.!
>> Total bill for the whole building is £209,000

!!!
Sorry, should have said, our cut of that is £7500, not the full whack!

Although it has highlighted the major issues we encounter with full repair & Insuring leases - we own this shop and have done for 15 years so not a problem in this instance but the last 2 leases we took we insisted on having no external repairing liability.

I assumed it was not for your property alone. But for a building with presumably not many units/properties. An alarming figure.

Still £7500 for the hospice charity to pay.... a lot of money not going to the place it is needed. Where can I send a donation? I do have your name and work address in emails... so who to pay a cheque to.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 00:24
Sony Arc is good as a phone!
Have never once had the issue that the Galaxy S had.!
>> Sony Arc is good as a phone!
>> Have never once had the issue that the Galaxy S had.!
>>

Glad to hear it :-)

No more thread drift I hope.
Latest Forum Posts