Non-motoring > Gobsmacked GU10 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

Gobsmacked GU10 - Zero
GU10s dont you just love them. I was in Homebase getting a new pull switch and I saw this.

Homebase High Power 6 watt LED GU10
25 year lifetime guarantee. £9.99

So I bought one, popped it in. Very bright indeed

Great I thought

It lasted less than two lousy, stinky, disgusting, crappy, effin, rubbishy, I want to kick someones ass, 2 hours!

2 BLEEDIN HOURS!

Gobsmacked GU10 - R.P.
Number Cruncher will figure out how many you'll get at that rate over 25 years hopefully....I'd be damnebly annoyed at that as the nearest Homebase shack is 13 miles away in Holyhead.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Armel Coussine
>> 2 BLEEDIN HOURS!

But guaranteed for the entire period. Heh heh...
 Gobsmacked GU10 - sherlock47
I have used about 13 of these
tinyurl.com/cej2fzw

about 10 for over 1 year - one partial failure which was replaced on a 30sec phone call even without the proof of purchase. Very good to deal with. Note that these are not SMDs and the lip around the circumference can cause a minor problem if fitted to fireproof fittings but not an insurmountable problem.

They will pay for themselves until smd reduce in price. They also have the advatage of not casting hard shadows - important if used next to a wall.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Runfer D'Hills
They really are rubbish aren't they? ( GU10s of any description ) I seem to have to buy a pack of them every other week.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Old Navy
>> They really are rubbish aren't they?
>>

Especially at the £66.99 price in the link!
>> >> They really are rubbish aren't they?
>> >>
>>
>> Especially at the £66.99 price in the link!
>>

Somebody is not reading correctly! That is for 15! ie £4.47 each
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Old Navy
>> Somebody is not reading correctly! That is for 15! ie £4.47 each
>>

I can read, they come in packs of 15, you can't buy them individually at the unit price from that wholesale outlet.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 12 Dec 11 at 19:36
 Gobsmacked GU10 - BobbyG
Thats the LEDS ones that I referred to in another thread. Bought a load of them for my shops , use less power, give off less heat and last a lot longer than the conventional ones!
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Dog
(hehehe!)
 Gobsmacked GU10 - RattleandSmoke
We have the low voltage ones in the bathroom, fitted in around 2000 and still working perfectly. Only need to change the bulbs every three years on average but I do worry about the transformer going, and I don't suppose it actually meets the regulations, my 16 year old mate fitted them!.

Something I will ask the spark to replace if we ever get a PIR done.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Zero
>> We have the low voltage ones in the bathroom, fitted in around 2000 and still
>> working perfectly. Only need to change the bulbs every three years on average but I
>> do worry about the transformer going, and I don't suppose it actually meets the regulations,
>> my 16 year old mate fitted them!.

They are not GU10s
No but they are the same shape and size.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - MD
A young sparky mate of mine has said today that there are now new fittings like wot take the GU10 carp complete with led bulb? for about £32.00 ea. Lifetime guarantee!!

But, (never start a sentence with a but mother said) I have decided as the originals die that all family members are going to be issued with a head torch with 3 settings, which can be increased as the GU10's fail. Well.................you've gotta re-start somewhere...................
 Gobsmacked GU10 - PeterS
We had these tinyurl.com/cwcvrs2 fitted in our bathroom a couple of months ago, when it was re-fitted. Only 4 of them in an 'L' shaped room (32W total), but light levels are ample and, so far, they're still working!
 Gobsmacked GU10 - MD
>> my 16 year old mate fitted them!.
>>
Wasser name then Ratto? Well well..............................
 Gobsmacked GU10 - PeterS
In the world of electrical regulation, of which you're so fond Rattle, isn't 230/240v low voltage ;-) 12v, which I assume you're actually refering to, is ultra low voltage isn't it?

Out of interest though, if a PIR is ever done and throws up no issues, will you replace them anyway??

Peter
I doubt they have the correct IP rating so yes they need to be replaced, the transformer isn't accessible (pretty sure the regs say they have to be) and yes it is ultra low voltage (12v).

So I am pretty sure the IP will show up a problem with them.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Avant
Oh they're Bulbs! Clicking on this thread I thought Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells had been joined by Gobsmacked of GU10 (Surrey-Hants border).
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Armel Coussine
I say I say I say, how many smug hands-on dyed-in-the-wool old technophiles does it take to change a lightbulb?

I ask because I made heavy weather of one today. One of these six-inch-long straight filament 100w jobs that go in upward facing wall fittings (by nature high up and awkward to get at). We have a lot of them here, specified by an architect.

From the massive amount of heat they give out they can't be at all economical. They are stiff and awkward to change and you have to remove a glass plate covered with dead insects first. When they go they don't light up any more, but they do still conduct electricity all too well: they just trip the circuit until they are removed. A grandchild left a small computer game on one of the glass plates and it melted filling the nippers' bedroom with toxic fumes.

Not everything 'new' is necessarily a good thing. But these banks of trips are better than fiddling with fuse wire and Victorian china fuse plugs in the dark up a ladder, if you can find the right fuse box on the right floor. That's what it was like in our last gaff built in 1846 and not modernized...
 Gobsmacked GU10 - rtj70
I sort of wish the rear (behind) mirror lighting was so simple. One fluorescent tube gone when we moved in so I got one from B&Q. The other one went.... can one get the same size tube now, a year and a bit later... seems not :-(

Might convert to something else.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - R.P.
I went to the doctor's today - new surgery for me anyway, the building must be a 1960s bungalow type affair, hideously badly designed - I was sent to the "Gulag" waiting room along with a spotty youth with a Blackberry stuck to his hand. The place has suffered a recent re-furb. I was surprised to see two "Callan" type light bulbs attempting to light it. Bit surprised they hadn't swapped them for twirly low-wattage types. The up-side was seeing a Tornado come into land at Valley as I waited....
 Gobsmacked GU10 - rtj70
Has this not put you off wanting a Blackberry again? It would me.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - R.P.
Yes - worse than that, possibly one of the most tastefully designed and coloured phones on the market was in a fluorescent green skin....
 Gobsmacked GU10 - AnotherJohnH
>> Yes - worse than that, possibly one of the most tastefully designed and coloured phones
>> on the market was in a fluorescent green skin....
>>

Probably caught it/transferred from the spotty youth... is that's why he was there? :-)
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 04:44
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Fursty Ferret
>> >> Yes - worse than that, possibly one of the most tastefully designed and coloured
>> phones
>> >> on the market was in a fluorescent green skin....
>> >>
>>
>> Probably caught it/transferred from the spotty youth... is that's why he was there? :-)
>>

Replaced all my GU10s with 5W LED bulbs. Place is lit up like the inside of the sun and it's only about 100W with every light in the place on. Disadvantage: they don't heat up the rooms like the old ones used to.

Gobsmacked GU10 - Bromptonaut
>> It lasted less than two lousy, stinky, disgusting, crappy, effin, rubbishy, I want to kick
>> someones ass, 2 hours!

Thoroughly irritating but fits with theory that something either fails as soon as it's properly warmed up or lasts for ages.
 Gobsmacked GU10 - movilogo
Why they were invented? What exactly is their use?

I have them in my kitchen (don't know why previous owner thought they are needed). Absolute pain to use. They often blow up, which trips my ground floor fuse, which causes my burglar alarm to go off.

I hate them!
 Gobsmacked GU10 - smokie
I got some LED replacement GU10s around Christmas. Wanted warm white but they have a definite green tinge. They worked out about £4 each, which is acceptable, but I need about a dozen or so more so am interested whether anyone can recommend a specific bulb from experience which is a genuine white/cream colour.

These are for space lighting (hallway, stairs etc), for which I understand the ones with lots of LEDS are better.
I installed 3 alcove lights to provide some feature lighting in the lounge using warmwhite LEDs (35 W equivalent 60 LED I think). Whilst they are 'warm' compared to 'white' LEDs when in contrast with the CFLs in a couple of table lamps they appear distinctly cold! I have solved the problem by using COLOUR FILTER GEL - available on Ebay from KAVE Theatre Services dpending on the warmth you want you could use

Theatre/DJ Lighting Colour Filter Gel - No Colour Straw 159

Theatre/DJ Lighting Colour Filter Gel - Sun Colour Straw 764

Theatre/DJ Lighting Colour Filter Gel - Three Quarter C.T. Orange 285
Last edited by: pmh on Sun 22 Jan 12 at 08:26
 Gobsmacked GU10 - Fursty Ferret
Some are definitely crapper than others - of a set of three I bought at £14.99 EACH, two failed within the first week.

"Never heard of that happening before, guv'nor..."
Latest Forum Posts