Non-motoring > A Riddle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 36

A Riddle - Robin O'Reliant
If you have two coins in your pocket that add up to 15p and one is not a 10p piece, what are the two coins?

Edited to make sense.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 11 Dec 11 at 16:41
 A Riddle - Runfer D'Hills
One is indeed not a 10p. It's a 5p. The other one however, is a 10p.
 A Riddle - Robin O'Reliant
>> One is indeed not a 10p. It's a 5p. The other one however, is a
>> 10p.
>>
You could have at least thrown in a few wrong answers and pretended it was difficult :-(
Don't think it really matters RR. Some of 'em "down there" are still trying to work it out...

:-)
 A Riddle - AnotherJohnH
10p and 5p.

Only one of the coins isn't 10p

I'm pleased you edited the riddle.... ;-)
 A Riddle - Zero
Apart from the 5p that is not the 10p coin you mean?
 A Riddle - Zero
I think he thinks one should have been confused.
 A Riddle - RattleandSmoke
Well if one of them is not a 10p, the other has to be.
I see the penny has finally dropped with the English ! Bless....

:-))
 A Riddle - Armel Coussine
The riddle was better before it was edited. Made any two possible coins a viable answer.

'A late Byzantine denarius and a Maria-Theresa thaler...'

A sort of cousin-in-law here has a very handsome old silver coin, a 'piece of eight' (eight what I don't know, but we pirates are very keen on having a small chest full of them under our hammocks).

First time I went to Nigeria the currency had just been changed from £sd to the decimal Naira, worth ten Nigerian shillings and divided into a hundred Kobo. The two currencies were circulating simultaneously which was a bit confusing especially as the Nigerian quid was quite fat thanks to burgeoning oil revenue. They had grotty old five shilling notes too, printed on one side only I seem to remember. But oddly I don't remember anyone trying to pull a fast one over it, just hustling to be allowed to keep the change in the normal manner.

The other weird place for change was Mozambique, in the special foreigners-only, hard currency shops countries with Soviet-influenced governments tended to have. The change would have pounds, dollars, rands, Portuguese currency, cfa francs, everything under the sun. Absolutely no way of telling whether it was right or not without being a trained Mafia money-laundering accountant.
 A Riddle - CGNorwich
If you lived before 600bc you wouldn't have any coins in your pocket, assuming pockets had been invented, because the world was waiting for the King of Lydia to introduce them. First coin was the Lydian Lion Trite. Chinese would no doubt disagree as they claim to have invented everthing

A Riddle - Fursty Ferret
A 20p and a negative 5p.
 A Riddle - zookeeper
a florin and a sixpence = 30d (30 old pence) roughly 15 new pence...simples
 A Riddle - Fursty Ferret
Or, in old money (literally!), a shilling (12d) and a thruppence (3d) ====> 15p.

>> Or, in old money (literally!), a shilling (12d) and a thruppence (3d) ====> 15p.

You jokin innit Fur Tree Ferret?

One new p = 2.4 old d. So 15p dem tree bob knowImean?
 A Riddle - Fursty Ferret
>> You jokin innit Fur Tree Ferret?

Ah, but where in his riddle did Mr Regal say it was NEW money? You did still have pence in the 1950's, didn't you? :-)

I'm technically correct - the best kind of correct. What's the prize?
 A Riddle - AnotherJohnH
>> Ah, but where in his riddle did Mr Regal say it was NEW money? You
>> did still have pence in the 1950's, didn't you? :-)
>>

"two coins in your pocket that add up to 15p and one is not a 10p piece"

Mr Regal wrote p rather than d to denote denarius, and we didn't have 10d coins... ;-)

Oddly enough I have some "proper" money in my jacket (which almost made it into the "what's in your pocket" thread):

2 x half crowns
3 x 6d
1 x 3d
6 x 1d
1 x farthing (which I half expected to have a wren on the reverse, but doesn't as it's Victorian).

Amazing how substantial they feel - 2oz of pennies for a start - and the "silver" stuff is mostly old enough to be made of silver.

/nostalgia/silly mode off
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Mon 12 Dec 11 at 03:07
 A Riddle - Manatee
>> a florin and a sixpence = 30d (30 old pence) roughly 15 new pence...simples
>>

Or, a florin and a bob = 36d or 3/-, exactly 15 new pence...even more simples.

Or half-a-crown and a tanner...
 A Riddle - CGNorwich
The smallest coin remember is the farthing though they were disappearing in the late fifties. Amazing to think you could have changed a pound note for 960 of the things
 A Riddle - Zero
>> The smallest coin remember is the farthing though they were disappearing in the late fifties.
>> Amazing to think you could have changed a pound note for 960 of the things

Never occured to us, we never saw a nicker, biggest we ever saw was a ten bob note,.
Same in Aberdeen on a flag day.
Egypt also had pounds the only time I went there (1973). But they were decimalized, divided into 100 piastres or 1,000 millièmes. So a millième was worth a whisker less than a farthing, or would have been if the Egyptian quid had had parity with sterling. Which it didn't.

Farthings seemed tiny in the days of our cartwheel-sized copper pennies and nickel half-crowns. But they were bigger than 1p pieces. They were legal tender up to half a crown, but no one was obliged to take a sack of them instead of a thin sheaf of fivers. In Plymouth in the fifties we bad schoolchildren used to save them up to annoy the bus conductor on the way to school, by giving him a handful of shrapnel that he would then need to count. It really did annoy them too.
 A Riddle - Clk Sec
>> The smallest coin remember is the farthing

I have a vague memory of milk being priced in pence and farthings.
 A Riddle - CGNorwich
You could buy one blackjack (a sort of chew) in the sweetshop for a farthing
 A Riddle - Clk Sec
>> You could buy one blackjack

Indeed you could. And very nice they were, too.
 A Riddle - Iffy
...You could buy one blackjack (a sort of chew) in the sweetshop for a farthing...

I was a fan of the similar fruit-flavour Fruit Salad.

Bulk buy 24 for 6d.

A Riddle - Duncan
>> ...You could buy one blackjack (a sort of chew) in the sweetshop for a farthing...
>>
>> I was a fan of the similar fruit-flavour Fruit Salad.
>>
>> Bulk buy 24 for 6d.
>>

Weren't sweets rationed when you were a kid?
 A Riddle - Iffy
...Weren't sweets rationed when you were a kid?...

No, no, my attitude to many things is Victorian, but my upbringing was much later.

A Riddle - CGNorwich
Can just remember the end of sweet rationing which just checked was 5 Feb 1953
 A Riddle - CGNorwich
"Bulk buy 24 for 6d."

400 for £7.99 now

www.bestbritishsweets.co.uk/pick-n-mix-sweets/barratts-fruit-salads-chews-sweets.html
 A Riddle - AnotherJohnH
>> I was a fan of the similar fruit-flavour Fruit Salad.
>>
>> Bulk buy 24 for 6d.
>>

Ah, yes. I remember those.

Are your teeth more amalgam than tooth too?

Or did I have dentist that was on piece rate?
 A Riddle - R.P.
I had great fun feeding them to a guy in work - stand back and see how he goes !!
 A Riddle - Cliff Pope
>> The smallest coin remember is the farthing
>>

There were 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 farthings up to the late 19th century.
 A Riddle - Dulwich Estate
"A 20p and a negative 5p." - correct if you're a Greek/Spaniard etc..

He's borrowed the 5p then spent the entire 20p so the guy who lent him the 5p will never see it again and in the meantime will lose out on his pension, bank interest and share values.
 A Riddle - legacylad
Is one a five pence, and t'other five toopencies thats been soldered together?
 A Riddle - Zero
Now the problem is you see if you do the riddle in Euros.

You have €15, two coins and on is not a €10,

It could be a 10 Franc, 10 kroner, 10 Drachma, 10 Deutsch-mark, 10Peseta, or even a 10,000,0000,000 lira coin.
 A Riddle - madf
You have two coins worth £0.15, One is a 10 Euro coin .. Next year.
Latest Forum Posts