Non-motoring > How tight/savvy are you? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 35

How tight/savvy are you? - sherlock47
Will take about ten minutes including reviewing your answers.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/quiz/iq/

I claim Genius status - but was surprised at some that I got wrong :)
 How tight/savvy are you? - movilogo
I scored 16 out of 25 (MSE IQ = 134)

Some questions were quite tough!
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 10:16
 How tight/savvy are you? - Crankcase
A rather dreary 10 out of 25. But I was happy enough with that - the ones I got wrong were about things I wouldn't expect to know anything about, and on one I disagreed with the answer anyway.

How tight/savvy are you? - devonite
118 - hadn`t a clue about the interest rate questions, so just took a gamble! and some were quite ambiguous!
 How tight/savvy are you? - Robin O'Reliant
10for me too.

it was interesting to see that a couple with four children can earn up to £70k and still get child tax credits. A classic example of how much of the benefit system has been hijacked by the middle classes.
 How tight/savvy are you? - oilburner
*warning - spoiler alert for those doing the quiz... *

"Q.16 Which of the following WON'T cut your petrol bill? "

Their answer:

"C) Accelerating to your cruising speed in the shortest time "

Hmm. That's a contentious one. I know not everyone agrees, but Wikipedia says this, and my experience bears this out too:

Quote:
"It's not commonly understood by people who drive,'' Dr. Dougherty said. ''They think that the way to get best fuel economy is to accelerate very gently, but that proves not to be the case. The best thing is to accelerate briskly and shift.

tinyurl.com/6revsdp

So clearly not everyone agrees on that!
 How tight/savvy are you? - Iffy
The worthy know-alls at the Institute of Advanced Motorists advise brisk acceleration.
 How tight/savvy are you? - oilburner
Ah, in which case the opposite is almost certainly true. I still remember my IAM instructor telling me to rev my turbo diesel Astra to 3k rpm to change gear, as any less would have caused HG failure. Yeah right.
 How tight/savvy are you? - Crankcase
Q16 was the one I didn't agree with. Indeed, the manufacturer's handbook for the latest generation of my car advises "reasonably brisk rather than gentle" acceleration to cruising speed to improve fuel economy.
 How tight/savvy are you? - madf

I don't know half the rules and don't care..

Acceleration? Depends on the car I suspect..
 How tight/savvy are you? - Fursty Ferret
The handbook for my car also says "reasonably quick" acceleration. Perhaps MSE imagines you booting it to the red line in each gear?

BTW, my MSE IQ is 137.
 How tight/savvy are you? - Manatee
Much as I detest MSE, they are right. Brisk acceleration yes, accelerate in the shortest possible time, no.

The optimum is brisk acceleration with early upchanges.
 How tight/savvy are you? - Lygonos
18/25 - IQ 161

Got the Supermarket prices, phone call costs, Child Tax Credit, and credit card repayment ones wrong (Never use 'loyalty points', avoid 'phones like the plague, don't get CTC, and always pay off my CC each month... that's my excuses!)

The premium bond one is wrong surely? 1.5% of £1000 isn't £7.50.

13/25 IQ 128

Rattled through it in a few minutes with several guesses.
IIRC the answer was 22%, and the question wasn't how many of them will win each year, but what are the odds of getting a prize at all in any year. 1.5% would be far too low. My logic was that £50 (which I guessed to be the most numerous win) every 5 years would be on the right scale of overall return, so about 20% chance in any one year would be thereabouts.
Premium bonds pay 1.5% interest per year.

£1000 would win £15 of prizes per year.

The vast bulk of wins are £25.

Knocking the %age down a bit for other wins I guessed 45% would be closer than 22%.

If you have the maximum of £30k of bonds I believe you can expect a win roughly each month (almost invariably £25 tho).
 How tight/savvy are you? - Zero
>> Premium bonds pay 1.5% interest per year.
>>
>> £1000 would win £15 of prizes per year.
>>
>> The vast bulk of wins are £25.
>>
>> Knocking the %age down a bit for other wins I guessed 45% would be closer
>> than 22%.
>>
>> If you have the maximum of £30k of bonds I believe you can expect a
>> win roughly each month (almost invariably £25 tho).

Its chance. I had £1000 for 15 years and won nothing.
...I had £1000 for 15 years and won nothing...

That's not chance, Zero, it's karma.

Its not karma its zero.
 How tight/savvy are you? - mikeyb
16/25 = 112

I though one of the car mags did a thing a few years back where they demonstrated that brisk acceleration to cruising speed was up to 20% more efficient than gentle acceleration.

Looking back at my answers I did make a few silly mistakes though
 How tight/savvy are you? - Cliff Pope
>>
>> I though one of the car mags did a thing a few years back where
>> they demonstrated that brisk acceleration to cruising speed was up to 20% more efficient than
>> gentle acceleration.
>>

That may be true if there is no traffic around and having reached cruising speed you can then stay at it.
But a more likely situation is that you will be restricted in cruising speed by other traffic, which will be stopping, starting, slowing, braking to turn of. Waiting traffic at side roads may join and cause you to brake, etc.

So in normal circumstances anticipation becomes much more important than an abstract acceleration to optimum speed. If you are going to be thwarted in your intention to reach optimum cruising speed it is better to have accelerated only gently, and still be in a position to ease off rather than brake if required.
 How tight/savvy are you? - Dog

:(
14/25 - 137
 How tight/savvy are you? - Roger.
I failed utterly on all the investment questions - I have never had anything to invest!
My radar graph showed I was a complete dunce at shopping, and utterly brilliant on everything else.

17/25, 127. 81st percentile. Looking at Zero's score, the questions must be weighted as I scored less but got more correct.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 7 Dec 11 at 19:52
The questions may be weighted, but I think time must count for a lot too - I did mine between patients, took maybe 5 minutes - got 1 more right and 34 more IQ.

How tight/savvy are you? - DP
10/25 (96)

Virtually no experience or knowledge of investments.
 How tight/savvy are you? - rtj70
I tried it earlier and got 15/25 . I think that was about 137/138?
 How tight/savvy are you? - -
12/25 =109, oh dear.

I hadn't a clue about the cheapest borrowing or child credits and the like, if i don't have the money i don't buy it and i've never managed to get any feebies from the state...except when made redundant twice within three months in 1981, i got £14 out of the country for a total of 8 working days out of work, and it probably cost me £16 in shoe leather wandering lost from office to office...they'll probably make me work an extra 3 years to make up for my doley days.;)
 How tight/savvy are you? - devonite
`Ang on! - why are folk scoring more than me, but getting less %? - me got 11 for 118. GB for e.g scored 12 for 109?? and there are other like examples.
There's something on the site about the IQ scores being weighted.

For some questions, you get something if your wrong answer is closest to the right one.

How tight/savvy are you? - sherlock47
It says that the scoring algorithm also takes note of speed of answer. I only scored 17 and ended up with genius status (from memory 145?) - other people have scored significantly lower withe same number of correct answers - but I did do it very quickly (and made 'avoidable' silly errors.
14/25, IQ 137

Did it in a couple of minutes entirely by instinct. If I couldn't make an intelligent guess in 2 seconds I made a guess.

In my view it proves nothing, except that it tends to bear out the maxim:

It's better to make the wrong decision in time than the right one too late.
welcome to the 14/25 137 club.

The annual dinner and dance is next thursday, your turn to pay.
 How tight/savvy are you? - Dieselboy
15/25 (164).

I rattled through the test in uber quick time - wonder if that had anything to do with the higher IQ?
Out of curiosity I tried again, ticking B to every answer as fast as I could.

Result - 9/25 137

Couldn't resist another go, ticking all the Cs.

9/25 119

I think that's to be expected. A, B, C or D type questions usually have the following format:

A - usually wrong, to catch people who just tick the first answer anyway.
B- plausible, more often correct
C- plausible, sometimes correct
D - usually a loony answer
Latest Forum Posts