Non-motoring > is this petty or just me thinking it is Miscellaneous
Thread Author: biker bones Replies: 16

is this petty or just me thinking it is - biker bones
Been working at a property this week renovating kitchen , removed load bearing wall , rsj installed etc . the owners have gone on holiday whilst work is undertaken , now it is a link detached house , before the customers went away they said they had spoke to neighbours about us gaining access thru there garage (which is the link between the 2 houses) to fit vent cover over new extractor hole .
Well neighbour caught us today while we were outside and said he had decided he didnt want the vent encroaching his boundary , now we are talking a vent that is not even 1 inch in depth , he also mentioned that the noise would be an issue from the extractor . is it me or does this really warrant awkwardness between neighbours .
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - Zero
I have heard of this complaint before.
yeah i could understand if it was a boiler flue , but a kitchen extractor , he seemed more worried about the encroaching my boundary bit that the noise . wonder if hes ever noticed that there gutters stick out by 4 inches , does that count aswell ?
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - Ted

Petty, petty all the way, Boney. Not down to you though, leave the cover off and let them fight it out. If it's like the extractor I put in here last year, the cover is about 1/3 inch thick.
SWMBO uses it mostly when she has a fag in the kitchen...can't say I've ever noticed any noise outside.

Maybe they're just up for a scrap over some slight in the past. Shame, but I don't think it can reflect on you if the job isn't quite finished because of this.

Ted
just had an update off my dad/boss , the customer has been thinking about it and can we box it in sideways above units and out hru his back wall. This used to be a simple souloution on the older style extractors but gonna look carp on the new modern glass one. sounds as though he doesnt want any confrontation . Well hes got till friday afternoon to sort something out otherwise the extractor will be set on circulate and he can keep buying the charcoal filters .
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - MD
Party Wall Act. Did you or the Client address this first??
yeah our understanding was our customer had done all the arranging , all we had to do was liaze with neighbour regarding access .
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - BobbyG
Last year my neighbour accidentally set fire to my house resulting in me and my family being out for a year.

Now back in, we are building an extension and I asked him if we could have permission to remove 2 of his fence panels for 2 weeks to allow the builders in to build the side wall of the extension. This was just to allow them access as the wall is all on my side.

My neighbour refused point blank.

He then accused me of building over my boundary but when I showed him photos of the house after the fire, when all the rear brickwork had been removed and this clearly showed exactly where the centre of the boundary was, he turned and went into the house and slammed the door in my face!

Neighbours, eh??
i guess thats why i live in the country , no neighbours to worry about .
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - Zero
Just beware the day of the triffids,
nothing a good strimmer wont put right :)

My neighbour, across the drive, removed his sectional garage which was part of the boundary.
When my MIL lived there I had had a good quality 6ft fence one concrete base panels up to the front of the garage and from the back to the end of the garden.
Taking the garage down left a 20ft gap. I offered him the name of my fencing guy, a real pro. not cheap but worth it.
He wouldn't put his hand in his pocket, kept asking me how to put up a new fence on the concrete base. I just gave him the phone number but he bought bolt down sockets to put the posts in...cheap waney lap followed, like a dogs leg with panels cut to fit the odd length.
A day later it was all leaning his way with the wind. He'd only put 2 anchor bolts in each bracket and some of them were loose. More head-scratching and a relative, who also had no idea, came and fitted some 2ft long ' L ' braces on his side between the wooden posts and the old garage base.
Looks ruddy awful from my side but why should I pay for his mistakes ?..........especially as he's worth about £500K.
My SIL did some work in the house for him and he ( neighbour ) had to leave the room while his wife wrote a cheque out !. Tight as a swan's chuff !

Ted
 is this petty or just me thinking it is - Aretas
The other side of the coin:

I decided to remove my 10 foot high leylandi trees and put in a fence. When neighbour discovered what I was doing he was so pleased he offered to pay half.
>>Tight as a swan's chuff !
>>
>> Ted
>>
My Dad use to say as tight as a Sharks's backside at 60 Fathoms! I sometimes wonder where I get it from.

M
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Apr 10 at 00:48

It's in the blood, Martin. It's a rare talent that we Sons of Devon have !

Ted
You're so right Dev. Wished I'd thought of it.!!!!!!!

M

You will, Oscar....you will !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts