Non-motoring > Smart Phone Advice Please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 15

Smart Phone Advice Please - Duncan
Having just bought a new smart phone (see 'Which mobile phone' thread), I am just finding my way around it.

It is a Samsung Galaxy Mini on Tesco, which I think piggybacks on O2.

A million questions, but the first one is, what is the best way to access the internet? I am really only - at the moment - interested in news items, particularly Premiership rugby scores.

I had a quick go this afternoon, but the pages were too small to read. Any useful tips please?
 Smart Phone Advice Please - VxFan
Yes Tesco uses the 02 network.

No idea how the Samsung works, but you can zoom in and out with the iPhone by placing 2 fingers in the touch screen and either move the fingers wider apart (zoom out) or closer together (zoom in)

Anything mentioned by RTFM?
 Smart Phone Advice Please - nyx2k
i have a samsung galaxy and an lg optimus black. both very good phones with a good sized screen.
i had a wildfire and the screen was way too small for me so gave it to the eldest child.
 Smart Phone Advice Please - spamcan61
Here's a video showing how to pinch zoom, which almost certainly applies to the Sammy:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKgMGnzUAc
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 26 Nov 11 at 19:29
 Smart Phone Advice Please - rtj70
As said above you can zoom in and out by pinching/stretching.

I did say in the other thread that you really should get a phone with at least a 3.7" screen (or perhaps 3.5" at a push).

If you're after Premiership scores then how about the Sky Sports application? Likewise there's an official BBC News app that's quite good.
 Smart Phone Advice Please - Stuartli
Do you not have a manual?
 Smart Phone Advice Please - scousehonda
I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy2 with which I am very pleased. To access the internet you'll need to install a browser (just as you do with your PC). Use the 'search' box at the top of the home screen to find whichever browser you fancy -Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera etc. I use Firefox as I do on my desktop. When you bring up a web page you just double tap it and it resizes itself automatically – very convenient. It does have one inconvenience, though. It is not compatible with 'Flash' video.
Android phones already have a web browser installed - Duncan has been using it too. He complained about the web page being to small to read. The answer is to zoom in and scroll around.

And Android (unlike iOS on the iPhone) does support Flash video. You might have to be running a new enough version of Flash (v10) for most sites.

P.S. Internet Explorer is only available on Windows computers :-)
 Smart Phone Advice Please - scousehonda
"Android phones already have a web browser installed - Duncan has been using it too. He complained about the web page being to small to read. The answer is to zoom in and scroll around.

And Android (unlike iOS on the iPhone) does support Flash video."

Duncan's original post asked how he might access the internet, suggesting to me that he was unaware of how to access the internet, hence me suggesting that he might try the Firefox browser.

Android certainly supports Flash video but the Firefox mobile browser doesn't (yet).
 Smart Phone Advice Please - Zero

>> And Android (unlike iOS on the iPhone) does support Flash video."

Given that Adobe are sunsetting flash for hand held devices means that wont matter soon.
Thank you for those.

Significant progress has been made this morning. I now have BBC Sports news, Sky Sports News and the Premiership Rugby thingy.

Shortly I will be off to Harlequins.
Yes, I have access to an online manual.

The sort of advice that I was looking was something like like that contained in the sticky at the top of the thread listing page. i.e. "Car4Play on an iPhone".

The advice and info in the manual is of a general nature, I would like someone to tell me which bit of kit to download.

Thank you for those replies.
 Smart Phone Advice Please - smokie
Plenty of free apps here market.android.com/?hl=en, choose what category you are interested in. You'll need a gmail account. And you'd want to do this on your PC rather than the phone I think.

I *think* you can resize a screen quickly to a more readable and often well-aligned size with a double tap
There is a market application on the phone itself too. You will only see apps compatible with your phone.

As smoke says you need a gmail account - but you need that to get the phone working in the first place.
 Smart Phone Advice Please - movilogo
Use Opera Mobile browser
>> If you're after Premiership scores then how about the Sky Sports application? Likewise there's an
>> official BBC News app that's quite good.
>>

Thanks for that. I have got the BBC News app thingy on my phone now. That's clever! All very clear and readable.
Latest Forum Posts