Non-motoring > Which Mobile Phone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 70

Which Mobile Phone? - Duncan
I am looking for a new mobile phone. The shortlist ATM is:-

HTC Wildfire S
Samsung Galaxy Mini
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Samsung Galaxy Y

I am not really sure of the difference between the various Samsung Galaxy models.

They are all £10-12 per month, 24month contact with Talkmobile or Tesco.

Wossit for? Talking, texting and a bit of internetting.

Any thoughts, ideas or other phones to suggest please?
 Which Mobile Phone? - Dave
Ha, I just bought a new genuine battery for my Nokia 6310i, and put it back into service. The screen fell out of the Xda and the battery life was down to about 2 days.

The only problem is, when the Post Office have a parcel they send a text with a number, that you then show when collecting said item. And how the young chicks at the collection place titter when I flash them the message on my old phone. If I keep it long enough, it may even come back into fashion - like my shoes, sunglasses, clothes, and car.
 Which Mobile Phone? - movilogo
>> If I keep it long enough, it may even come back into fashion

+1

Many people are now turning away from smartphones because

* frequent crashes (unstable OS)
* time required to maintain the phone (just like your PC)
* features/app they never use
* additional data charges (especially abroad)
* higher price
* POOR BATTERY LIFE (old Nokias' batteries last 7 days on single charge!)
* large size

Shops push smarphones because profit margin is higher and they can then sell data plans as well.

Some old Nokia phones, even though not considered smart, could run Java apps and had internet surfing abilities. BTW, I find surfing web on such a small screen as PITA.

Which Mobile Phone? - CGNorwich
6310i?

Cutting edge! My phone is a Nokia 1100. Wife won't part with her trusty Nokia 3410. Indestructible.
 Which Mobile Phone? - DeeW
Just gone back to my lovely Nokia N95 - had had problems with the microphone which it appears to have resolved itself.
 Which Mobile Phone? - Iffy
...had problems with the microphone...

Sexist comment alert.

Perhaps your wore it out. :)

Which Mobile Phone? - DeeW
... giggles at Iffy.... more likely the daughter, from whom I inherited the phone!
 Which Mobile Phone? - spamcan61
>>
>> The only problem is, when the Post Office have a parcel they send a text
>> with a number, that you then show when collecting said item. And how the young
>> chicks at the collection place titter when I flash them the message on my old
>> phone.
>>

Couple of years back I was using Spamette Minor's cast off 6320i as my phone, had much the same experience at the PO. Didn't help that the phone was the Kath Kidston 'limited edition', covered in girly flowers ;-)

tinyurl.com/co8ph73
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 23 Nov 11 at 12:07
 Which Mobile Phone? - rtj70
That's a 6230i.
>> That's a 6230i.
>>
To misquote Eric Morecambe, I had all the right digits, but not necessarily in the right order :-).

That's the right phone in the picture anyway.
 Which Mobile Phone? - BobbyG
Duncan, I am going through something similar for my kids' phones and spent a couple of hours last night going round the mobile phone shops.

The Wildfire S is styoically retailing at about £170/£180 on PAYG although Phones 4U doing it for about £130. As you say, it is featuring in the lower priced tarriffs but Phones 4 U last night were also giving, on the same tarriff (Orange) the Samsung W.

Now I don't know much about the phones themselves but the spec of the W on first appearances seemed to be higher than the Wildfire S.

Most of these phones will run Android 2.3 system but, to a certain extent, that is like saying most computers can run Windows XP. But how well they run it decides on processor etc.

I would try a comparison website to see their features side by side though I have heard from more than one phone retailer that Samsung seem to offer so many phones with so little difference between them.
...Samsung seem to offer so many phones with so little difference between them...

They launch a new one each time another patent lawsuit lands from Apple.

>> POOR BATTERY LIFE (old Nokias' batteries last 7 days on single charge!)

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S which under heavy use, would not last a day on full charge. I now have a Sony Xperian Arc and it lasts the day no problem with the same use.

However, every night when I go to bed, the mobile gets switched off and put on charge so whether a battery can last 2 , 5, or 10 days to me is irrelevant - all I need it to do is last one day!
 Which Mobile Phone? - R.P.
I have a personal theory - the more outlandishly silly the name, the less attracted I am to it. Suppose that's why I ended up with an iPhone - feeling increasingly like going back to Blackberry at the end of my contract though.
 Which Mobile Phone? - The Nut
Screen size is important on any phone that dosn't have a physical keypad, my LG optimus has a 3 inch screen and the qwerty layout is very fiddly to use so I have ended up using the phone style keypad. Mrs Nut has a Sony xperia play with a 4 inch screen, I find that great to use with the qwerty on screen keyboard.

Like BobbyG our phones get charged overnight so battery life isn't a problem.

If you ever play games on your phone or use other heavyweight apps look for a phone with an 800MHz or faster processor, wikipedia usually lists this.
...Screen size is important on any phone...

The next iPhone will have a bigger screen, according to one of many Apple rumour sites.

Which Mobile Phone? - VxFan
>> The next iPhone will have a bigger screen,

I thought it already did, and they called it an iPad.
 Which Mobile Phone? - Roger.
If one is not too fussed about having a new or up to date phone, what about summat like this?

tinyurl.com/carrd34

or this?

tinyurl.com/d82qecl
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 23 Nov 11 at 10:24
 Which Mobile Phone? - Mike Hannon
But you feel such a fool wearing a rucksack all the time, don't you?
I had an email from Orange France this morning offering me something called a Huawei 7610 smartphone for 39 euros but when I read a few reviews I realised that it was likely to be as good as the twin pack of Chinese LED torches I bought this week for 4 euros - not working, partly because all the internal components were covered in rust - and the Chinese herbal teabags my (female) friend bought, only to find the strings fell off when dipped in hot water (thank the lord they were only teabags...).
My standby French mobile is a Nokia 3410 and my standby UK mobile is a Nokia 402. Both still have excellent battery life.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Wed 23 Nov 11 at 11:46
 Which Mobile Phone? - movilogo
and unlike smart phones, dumb phone's performance do not degrade over time.

Just like your Windows registry clogs down the system, smart phones often turn themselves into slow zombies after a year or so.

In old phones you simply clear memory by deleting messages. In new phones, you need to run task monitors to check nothing is hogging memory! You also need to restart phone following crashes etc.

I have a Nokia 5800 which crashes every week or so (using last 2 years - was good initially but then slowed down). My previous Nokias like 1600 or 6300 crashed only once or twice in their 5-6 years lifespans. My mates Androids are no better. Once you load some apps and poke with it continuously, they develop lots of issues, then you need spend hours on internet forums to search for solutions etc.

I have a Wildfire S, which suits my needs fine. talk, text and a bit of internet. Battery life about 3 days. Usual HTC rubbish camera. Not the fastest smartphone ever but OK.
 Which Mobile Phone? - helicopter
I still have my old Nokia stashed away but now I have the Samsung Galaxy mini and find it fine for my everyday use...I got it from Vodafone £120 cash a few months ago.

I use it mainly for internet connection when travelling as it is easier to handle than my notebook. .

As an example I have connected in to Car4play recently from a restaurant in Marrakesh , a villa in Crete and the Souk in Doha using Wifi .

It does everything I want.....
 Which Mobile Phone? - TheManWithNoName
I'm so glad I've got my beaten up old Nokia 1112. No internet, no colour screen, no camera - just a phone using TalkTalks PAYG 4p a minute tariff.
I love it!
>>
>> My standby French mobile is a Nokia 3410 and my standby UK mobile is a
>> Nokia 402. Both still have excellent battery life.
>>
Thought I'd have a retro moment and fire up my 5110 (think that's basically the same as a 402) and my 9210i. The latter worked fine (once I'd remembered the security code from 2004..), looks like the battery in the 5110 is dead after a mere 13 years, phone boots up but battery won't charge. The 9210i remains the best phone I've ever had for conference phone use.
 Which Mobile Phone? - AshT
I have a Wildfire S Duncan, which has replaced a Nokia N95 (oldest Ash Jr now making good use of N95).

The HTC is lighter and smaller than the N95, and in a case purchased from ebay for just a couple of quid feels more robust. Battery life is better than the Nokia; I get two days from a charge with quite a bit of use. Apps are generally good, the operating system is very stable (not a single crash so far), and the camera isn't too bad.

Overall very happy with the HTC - still trying to get grips with the touchscreen for typing though!
>> Overall very happy with the HTC - still trying to get grips with the touchscreen for typing though!

When I used my iPod touch I didn't like typing on it. On my Galaxy S I like the Swype system that is pre-installed. So you don't 'type' on the keyboard. Look it up - it does work well.

From the list of phones above, I would opt for one with at least a 3.7" screen.
Looked at the specs and none of them has a 3.7" screen. The Galaxy Ace is the biggest at 3.5".

If you're not familiar with Android, go to a shop for a demo (or ask a friend). I still think to get the most out of Android you need to tinker. Which is why I think the iPhone is a better product for most people. Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) might be worth looking at when the bugs are sorted but it will only be on high end phones (only the Galaxy Nexus at the moment).
 Which Mobile Phone? - Zero
Frequent crashes? Unstable OS? Locking up?

What are they?

From an Iphone user.

I've not had any lockups or crashes on my Android phone. There are a few bugs in the latest Android 4.0 (ICS) mind.

But for most people, the iPhone with it's iOS operating system is better than Android. It's slicker and gives a better end user experience. I still opted for Android but I like the way I can tailor this the way I want it.
 Which Mobile Phone? - Runfer D'Hills
Another vote for BlackBerry here. I swear by mine. ( Swear at it a lot too mind but that's usually the content of the emails received and not the machine's fault )

Only criticism is the small keys. Results in some random typos occasionally.

It is, in my undoubtedly outdated opinion a gentleman's communication device as opposed to the rather arriviste nature of those hi di hi phones...I've seen people using those while wearing training shoes. Well I ask you !

:-)
 Which Mobile Phone? - Bagpuss
I have an iPhone 4. Before getting it I tried various other smartphones including HTCs and Nokias. The iPhone is simply on a different planet for usability. And it doesn't crash.

It's not perfect - especially the well documented reception problems - but has enough wow effect to differentiate it from the crowd.
So, if I could buy the iPhone 3GS 8GB for £13.50 per month, should I go for it in preference to the phones I listed in my first post?
No, the 3GS 8gb is crap. Iphone 4 minimum.
 Which Mobile Phone? - MrTee43
Does the Iphone 4(S) have a built in FM radio ?
>> Does the Iphone 4(S) have a built in FM radio ?

No.
Update.

Just bought the Samsung Galaxy Mini phone on Tesco £10 pm, 250 minutes talk, 5000 texts and 500 MB of data.

I do hope we are going to be happy together.
>> >> Does the Iphone 4(S) have a built in FM radio ?
>> No.

But you can use any number of apps to listen to radio stations as long as you've got a wifi or 3G signal (just watch your 3G data allowance doesn't get eaten up)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 24 Nov 11 at 21:22
 Which Mobile Phone? - Pezzer
HTC Desire owner for 18months. No crashes, instability etc. Oh yes it was free as well.... doubt you'll find a currentish iphone for that at £20/month !

Have just rejected a new upgrade cos it does everything I need and have reduced my monthly bill.

So the lockups are just the Nokia Phones then. No surprise there.
 Which Mobile Phone? - AnotherJohnH
>> So the lockups are just the Nokia Phones then. No surprise there.

Apparently not.... 17,000 jobs to go:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15858081?print=true
 Which Mobile Phone? - Roger.
Just bought a Samsung Tocco GT-S5260, (on PAYG) with a touch screen which changes from portrait to landscape view when the camera is rotated and also calls up a QUERTY keyboard in landscape view.Camera (3.2 mega pixels), bluetooth, email & web capability, for £39.95 on a special ,transfer your existing SIM ,deal with Phones4U.
This does not include a case, a car mount, screen protector ,phone cover, car charging unit or an USB lead, which may be had for £22.50 the lot. I suspect there is more profit for Phones4U in the kit than the phone!
Seems quite a feature packed phone for the money
Last edited by: Roger on Thu 24 Nov 11 at 20:48
>> Apparently not.... 17,000 jobs to go:

Different company to the one making the phones. This is a joint venture between Nokia and Siemens. Okay Nokia owns part of it.

The Nokia phone company also got rid of lots. And are still doing I think. Accenture are getting a lot of the staff. When you switch from your own platform (Symbian) to Microsoft's you don't need to many developers.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 24 Nov 11 at 21:49
 Which Mobile Phone? - Boxsterboy
I had a Motorola Defy, and I have to say that apart from its relatively small size and slightly stronger glass screen, it was carp - forever dropping or not finding the wi-fi that I was sat next to. I have had an iPhone 4 now for about 3 months and it is sooo much better in every way. Never drops phone/net connection. Brilliant device. Highly recommended.
>> I have had an iPhone 4 now for about 3 months and it is sooo much better in every way.
>> Never drops phone/net connection. Brilliant device. Highly recommended.

But if you don't have it in a bumper or other case, hold it wrong and it drops calls.

The usual Apple magic means the problem the iPhone 4 had with the external metal being the antennas for wifi etc. was soon forgotten. The problem was not fixed until they came out with the CDMA model. They 'patched over the problem' by claiming there were problems with the algorithm for signal strength.

The hardware for telephony from that is in the iPhone 4S. Basically the use of the external metal as antenna is not used for WiFi. So the critical join near the bottom left area is gone... probably worse for left handers.
But if you don't have it in a bumper or other case, hold it wrong and it drops calls

Rob - that's history I think, neither iPhone4 in this household have suffered from dropped calls, the worse we've suffered is when an ear has inadvertently activated the "mute" function....
>> But if you don't have it in a bumper or other case, hold it wrong
>> and it drops calls
>>
>>
>> Rob - that's history I think, neither iPhone4 in this household have suffered from dropped
>> calls, the worse we've suffered is when an ear has inadvertently activated the "mute" function....
>>
Still a 100% real, reproducible design error though.
 Which Mobile Phone? - MD
I HAVE a Moto' defy. Great bit of kit thus far with Gorilla glass and dust and moisture proof. An HTC something badge as Moto. No problemo.
 Which Mobile Phone? - Ted

I've been so happy with my Doro phone for a long time now. It makes calls and texts and gets them back...and that's all it does ! Good loud ring and a loudspeaker Wembley would be proud of. That's all I want when I'm out and about.

I've just bought the Tyrant Queen one for Chrimbo. She's not over-technically minded and doesn't like her Nokia.....too fiddly for her chubby digits ! The one I've got her is the flip-phone version of mine. It has the same buttons...Do things, cancel things, scroll up and down, call and end call and the normal keypad, big, well spaced buttons.

No camera, grunternet, teasmade or owt else..........brilliant !

Ted
 Which Mobile Phone? - Alastairw
I have been happy with the HTC Wildfire for the last 12 months. When the (cheap) contract come up for renewal/upgrade I will be looking for another HTC, preferably with a slightly bigger screen.

Nb: the battery typically lasts for about 48 hours between charges, which I don't think is that bad.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Thu 24 Nov 11 at 22:13
>> Nb: the battery typically lasts for about 48 hours between charges, which I don't think is that bad.

Is that a real 48 hours or do you turn the phone off? I think I can get 36 hours out of my Android with realistic use. But I charge it overnight anyway. Also have a spare battery.

At least the battery for phones other than the iPhone are swappable.
 Which Mobile Phone? - Alastairw
No, I dont usually turn it off. Pretty intensive twittering and other data use. When out of the house usually restricted to calls/texts as my data package is quite small. So, yes, I suppose that is a genuine 48 hours - I certainly don't plug it in every night.
Well, since this is topical, I have been ionvolved in the purchase of 2 phones today.

Son wanted an HTC Wildfire S to replace his Nokia 5800. Has a great T Mobile PAYG deal where he pays £10, gets unlimited texts and internet and still retains his £10 credit. Last week these phones were about £179, this week they have came down to about £130 but Carphone Warehouse were doing it as an upgrade for £119.95 - you don't get a SIM, just continue to use your own and of course being CPW, the phone is unlocked so at any time he can decide to swap network or take a SIM only deal.

Daughter wanted a Samsung Galaxy W. This is about £350 on PAYG but available on contract. She uses loads of texts and has went for CPW, £20.50 per month on Orange for 100mins, unlimited texts and 500MB internet.

(I was surprised to see that on average I use about 300MB per month data on my phone).

However, instead of buying this in CPW I clicked through from Quidco so hopefully will have earned a £50 cashback for taking out a contract phone.

The advisor in CPW seemed very knowledgable, yet another person I have spoken to who has went from iphone to android. He advised that many of the parts for Iphones are actually made by Samsung and this is what is causing the whole Apple v Samsung legal battles.
...this is what is causing the whole Apple v Samsung legal battles...

I'm not sure it's the cause, but it's certainly an odd situation in that Apple are suing Samsung and using them as a supplier.

>> I'm not sure it's the cause, but it's certainly an odd situation in that Apple are suing
>> Samsung and using them as a supplier.

Major supplier on cost grounds.
>> He advised that many of the parts for Iphones are actually made by Samsung and this is >> what is causing the whole Apple v Samsung legal battles.

No. Apple do buy a lot from Samsung in the iPhone, iPad and even laptops but that's not why they are suing each other. Can we leave that for another forum? Too complicated and nobody can sort it here?

Parts made in an iPhone 4 by Samsung? CPU/RAM (display? probably not). If this was not a well selling item Samsung would stop supply. They make too much from Apple to say '******** off'.
There is much generic buying in of components and similarities between phones at the component level. Samsung, the OEM parts maker will be separated from Samsung the phone maker by chinese walls. Has to be that way or Samsung the parts maker could not operate.

Most phones are made in the same factory, Foxcon mostly.
Can't find the thread now but I asked a couple of months ago about a potential replacement for my iPhone - well the date to upgrade came, I was still no wiser, could see no point in upgrading to the 4S so I phoned 02 - got a very good deal to stop me going over to Orange - where I was offered 25% off their advertised line rental under their "perk" scheme....I keep my phone which is excellent - I get a massive drop of 30 quid a month onto a "simplicity" tariff - it'll go up in 1 2 moths by a fiver a month unless I upgrade, so they got themselves a retained customer. 600 mins, U/L texts and 500mb of Internet webbie things.
I get 500 minutes (never all used), unlimited texts and 1Gb Internet data for about £30pm. I wish that could drop by £30 too :-)
My £40 a month contract with Tesco is up next month. Soon be time to start haggling. Like you PU, I shall keep the iPhone 4 for a little while longer and not be upgrading to the 4S.
Mine is up this month. I will not be upgrading to the 4S either, will wait for 5. Meantime I will take a reduced tariff.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Jan 12 at 18:30
 Which Mobile Phone? - AnotherJohnH
If you're after an inexpensive tariff and O2 coverage works for you, consider gifgaf

giffgaff.com/

AFAIK they provide micro SIMs for iphone if you ask, their customer service is a bit overwhelmed, but what constitutes "unlimited" for data is unclear...
 Which Mobile Phone? - John H
>> Can't find the thread now >>
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8140&v=f

>> 600 mins, U/L texts and 500mb of Internet webbie things. >>

Tesco offer transparent prices and at times have bargain offers. I am on a £10 rolling monthly sim-only deal which gives 500mins + unlimited texts and unlimited data. That deal is no longer available, but search for sim-only monthly tariffs, if you are keeping your old phone, here:
phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/sims/
eg.
£12.50 a month gets you iPhone SIM, Includes unlimited BT Openzone Wi-Fi access, 500 minutes and 5000 texts, 1 GB data, minimum 3 month contract and then monthly.

(Tesco uses the O2 network)

If you are after a new phone, note that Tesco have deals
for their own service here phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/paymonthly
and for other networks here phone-shop.tesco.com/mobile-phones-and-sim-cards/pay-monthly-phones/
 Which Mobile Phone? - Manatee
I've a 6310i on PAYG, so does the boss (shame she never answers it). AFAIK these still fetch proper money on ebay - must be the best mobile ever made. I charge mine every 2-3 weeks.

Company Blackberry (ancient) picks up my work and personal emails (Gmail for Blackberry). Lasts 2-3 days on a charge with a few calls.

The 4S users I know are all moaning that the battery won't see the day through.

I thought you'd have an och-iPhone Bobby?
Am I the only one who doesn't see what the issue is with charging your phone every night?

Every night I put my phone om silent and plug it in and charge it up overnight. Don't need my phone battery to last days or weeks, as long as I can get a good days use from it I am happy.

Think it was Dave who once said you wouldn't expect a laptop to go 24 hours without a charge so why should these phones / mini computers be any different?
You'd have to be local to this area to understand, but the mobile shops in Bangor sell the iPhonei....

Fired up my PAYG Nokia 5140i today - this phone must be at least five years old, and only used on 'bike trips. It had been off since last use back in October - went for a ride this afternoon, fired it up more in hope than in expectation but it fired up with plenty of battery life left for the trip and more...cracking little phone.

www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-5140i.htm
>> Am I the only one who doesn't see what the issue is with charging your
>> phone every night?

No, I don't see a problem with that. But if a phone needs charging very night, then it's that much closer to dying during the day if it gets heavily used.

A phone that doesn't last a full day is inconvenient - the guy who site nearest to me at work often has to charge his 4S during the day - he travels a lot and is not happy (but still an Apple addict).
>> But if a phone needs charging very night, then it's that much closer to dying during the day if it gets heavily used.

Not at all. My I4 battery is generally down anywhere between 55% and 30% remaining by the end of the day. Only reason I charge it up overnight is because it might not see me right through the next day.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 00:46
>> >> But if a phone needs charging very night, then it's that much closer to
>> dying during the day if it gets heavily used.
>>
>> Not at all. My I4 battery is generally down anywhere between 55% and 30% remaining
>> by the end of the day. Only reason I charge it up overnight is because
>> it might not see me right through the next day.

With respect, it's a point beyond argument, which your second sentence confirms. If I took that phone on a travelling day where I leave the house at 5, returning late and making 4 or 5 times the normal level of calls, I'd have to take a charger, or a spare battery ...can you swap the battery on an iPhone?

Personal choice of course, but to me it is the epitome of the consumer economy and the pursuit of "stuff". Fantastic bit of engineering and design, but fatally flawed if what you need is a phone. Bit like electric vehicles - OK for milkmen.
>> With respect, it's a point beyond argument, which your second sentence confirms. If I took
>> that phone on a travelling day where I leave the house at 5, returning late
>> and making 4 or 5 times the normal level of calls, I'd have to take
>> a charger,

Using an iPhone for only making calls will not drain the battery very quickly (unless you're making 3G video calls).

What drains the battery is game playing, web surfing, emailing, listening to mp3's, and any apps that require an online connection. As I previously stated in another thread, and someone reminded me of it here - "you wouldn't expect your laptop battery to last for long periods, so why should an iPhone (or any other other smart phone for that matter) be any different when using it as a mini computer."

Lastly, a 3G connection will use more battery power than wifi will.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 16 Jan 12 at 10:28
 Which Mobile Phone? - ....
I don't use my mobile much these days, emergency contact and odd text is about the limit on PAYG.

I have a Nokia 6230i which has been perfect over the last five or six years. One charge per week, 512MB memory card for music and FM radio to cut out the office noise.

I wanted an MP3 player with more storage, I looked at the iPod 8 and 16GB over Christmas and found I could upgrade my phone to an HTC Wildfire S for less than a 16GB iPod. It now has a 32GB Class 10 Patriot Card in and a few apps loaded.

I had an iPhone 3GS in 2010, worked but didn't impress me enough to want to return to Apple. I was a bit sceptical about Android phones, my wife having a pretty basic LG 540GT which only runs 2.1 which is a bit crappy in transferring apps between the phone and the memory card. 2.3.5 on my HTC does everything I need the phone to do and gives me the control I want. The phone is still on a PAYG simcard, connecting to WIFI through the Y5 app someone recommended here.

I would also recommend ES File Explorer and ES Task Manager. The Car HUD app also offers speed headup display on the windscreen without the need for data connection.
 Which Mobile Phone? - idle_chatterer
Not sure my view is relevant given the different marketplace in HK where the iPhone is de rigueur.

SWMBO has an iPhone 4, the UI is brilliant and I think there has been 1 software bug requiring a reboot in 14 months.

I have a Blackberry Bold 8700, it is buggy, frequently requires the battery removing for a hard reboot and the UI is pants, this from a BB user of 5 years who used to think their devices were great. It is my last BlackBerry, they've failed to innovate IMHO.

My only comment on the Samsung devices is that they seem to closely Ape the iPhone, the concept of the Android operating system appeals to me though.

The old Nokia 6021 which we lend to visitors is stilt he best device we have for making phone calls on.... I think it was the worthy successor to my 6310i in 2006 or thereabouts and the original battery still lasts 5 or 6 days. I'll never get a Msft based Nokia out of principle.
Latest Forum Posts