Non-motoring > Dry mouth ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 3

Dry mouth ? - Ted

Registered for on-line tax returns recently and have been waiting a coupla days for my self assessment activation code to come through the post from Government Gateway.

Well, it plopped through the letter box this morning. The sender had made no effort to lick the envelope and seal it , nor was the flap actually tucked in !

Surprised it got to me at all...it's a personal code revealed by tearing off a blacked strip, like a PIN code letter. The strip was about a quarter torn back but the last 7 or 8 letters weren't visible so it should be ok. I don't know if it would be of use to anyone, anyway.

Doesn't bode well for future dealings with the revenue men, though.

Ted
 Dry mouth ? - RattleandSmoke
My grandma who lives in in same area as us has not been receiving some post lately, so I wonder if there is some dodgy worker in the local sorting office?
 Dry mouth ? - hjd
I have had two clients recently whose VAT returns, together with cheques, have been intercepted and the name on the cheque altered. In both cases the altered name was an Asian one; the cheque was paid into a bank account presumably in the name of the "new" payee.
VAT officer said he had had loads of these cases recently. Banks don't bat an eyelid and have refunded the money with no quibbles. I can't see how they can't have noticed - surely a change from "HM Revenue and Customs" to "Massael Hameed" must have been obvious? I suppose it's because the banks never check cheques under about £5,000.
At least from April they will have to pay online.
 Dry mouth ? - Bromptonaut
Intercepting outgoing govt cheques in the post has been going on for ages. Around 86/87 I was working in such an office and we were getting several a month. Plain a pikestaff when we recalled the cheques.

Taxpayers drafts to the Revenue were not immune then either. Inlandi Revendi Esq was making a good living.
Latest Forum Posts