Non-motoring > BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 13

BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - rtj70
Not sure how good or interesting the programme later tonight will be. It covers the building And one of them was 14 years old.

Anyway might be worth watching? Maybe someone has seen it already?

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tr2p5

It's on at 11:20pm on BBC2 tonight (Tues 25th Oct)
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - swiss tony
Ill be watching this later... on a few days left before its no longer available though..
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tw1m1/Spitfire_Women/
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - spamcan61
Cheers for the heads up 'video' set.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - R.P.
It was a good programme first time around. Features the now Airbus factory in Broughton and some moving scenes (I won't spoil it) I remember going on a chap's tour of the Hawker Siddley in the 70s - was wooed by their Mosquito (now crashed and destroyed) a Sea Venom (apprentices' project) and their Hawker 125 line (now built in the states) - It was a busy place in WW2 a real swords into plough-shears story - the line building the Airbus wings is unbelievable - currently employs 6000 people in proper jobs.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 25 Oct 11 at 19:50
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - henry k
>> Ill be watching this later... on a few days left before its no longer available
>> though..
>> www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tw1m1/Spitfire_Women/
>>

BUT the good news is that it is on YouTube in six parts - 10 mins each

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5lqRUsMHh8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTpy5ata3A
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dST8LN3DT6E
www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lbazjmJ8Y
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LouQ9G4HQHg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeFXDWTgW6Q

and a bonus programme.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTeEXjjwLCQ&feature=related
Castle Bromwich ( motoring link?)
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - rtj70
If someone wanted the standard definition version from iPlayer I can send a copy in MPEG4 format.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - Mapmaker
Wow. A fatality rate of 10% making being a female ferry pilot one of the most dangerous jobs in the war.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - Manatee
Thank you, I'll record it.

Which reminds me, if any of you are within reach of Moreton-in-Marsh, or passing through on the A44, call and see Gerry Tyack at the Wellington Aviation Museum

www.wellingtonaviation.org/

A pal and I called in a couple of months ago and had a very entertaining chat with Gerry, who owns and runs the museum - it's a very personal enterprise.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - Zero
|Good prog on BBC2 now, about Beltchley Park/

Not your normal enigma rubbish, but the real stuff. Lorenz, Gehemschrieber, and a PO engineer called Tommy Flowers.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - bathtub tom
I remember seeing a Wellington at Brooklands and a wooden boat that formed part of the fuselage, used for a lifeboat in the event of ditching on water IIRC.

I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Anyone here know anything about it?
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - Ian (Cape Town)
bathtub, close, but no cigar - it was actually called a Warwick - looked similar but was larger than the Wellington.
Do a wikipedia search on Vickers Warwick:

"The lifeboat, designed by yachtsman Uffa Fox, laden with supplies and powered by two 4 horsepower (3.0 kW) motors, was aimed with a bombsight near to ditched air crew and dropped by parachute into the sea from an altitude of about 700 feet (210 m)."

I recall there were similar US aircraft - Modified B-17s and B-24s, with bright yellow liferafts slung underneath.
Thanks.
 BBC2 Programme - Wellington Bomber - Ian (Cape Town)
I'll look at home later - I suspect I have some books which will expand on the subject, as I recall something about an airdrop of lifeboats etc to a stricken ship a long way off our coast many years ago.

>>Good prog on BBC2 now, about Beltchley Park

I recall Tommy Flowers name being spoken with hushed reverence.

Interesting they mentioned some of Bletchley Park's hardware being moved to Cheltenham post war. I'd heard similar rumours.............

I'd love to know about what the axis got up to in deciphering our stuff.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 26 Oct 11 at 19:31
Latest Forum Posts