Non-motoring > Hard to feel much sympathy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 12

Hard to feel much sympathy - Iffy
We've had a couple of threads about cable thefts.

This thief touched a live one:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-15433952

Hard to feel much sympathy, but the 'punishment' - life threatening injuries, is excessive.

Hard to feel much sympathy - Armel Coussine
>> the 'punishment' - life threatening injuries, is excessive.

What punishment? The geezer touched a live cable by accident. It was what is called an 'accident' Iffy.

Happens every day to people who aren't thieving. Is it punishment in their case too?

I know, I know, you put 'punishment' in quote marks, you weaselly little tabloid hack you. But you are projecting a confused moralism that sits perfectly with the US Republican party and in fact the Terrorflag as it is these days.

Don't start talking about the End Time for Heaven's sake.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Dutchie
The Terrorflag>:) Confused moralism great comment Armel.You are a pro.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Manatee
Perhaps sympathy for his family is appropriate, hard as you say to feel much for him.

His action was presumably deliberate and almost a definition of antisocial. Apart from the cost of making good, these substation thefts knock out supplies and cause damage and possible fires in homes (I kid not - my elderly aunt and uncle had smoke coming out of their Humax, that and several other appliances were subsequently found to be non-working and they also ended up having to replace the consumer unit).

We could be applying attempted murder to this one as well ;-)
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Zero
No sympathy, at all, for anyone involved.

Pure greed and stupidity.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Iffy
...We could be applying attempted murder to this one as well ;-)...

Given the confused morals of our legal system, I hope the site was secured, or there will be a claim for compensation against the owners.

Hard to feel much sympathy - Zero

>> Given the confused morals of our legal system, I hope the site was secured, or
>> there will be a claim for compensation against the owners.

It was, Electric fence as it happens.

LOLOLo I crack myself up sometimes,.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Dutchie
That is funny.>;)
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Dog
>>I crack myself up sometimes<<

Had a couple of grams myself at the weekend, good stuff it was n' all.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Manatee
>> ...We could be applying attempted murder to this one as well ;-)...
>>
>> Given the confused morals of our legal system, I hope the site was secured, or
>> there will be a claim for compensation against the owners.

Hehe. I wasn't thinking of corporate manslaughter. In the case the aunt and uncle, the supply company denied liability. Several householders challenged this, on the basis that -

- under the relevant Act (Electricity Supply IIRC), they must take reasonable steps to protect the supply

- even though they had already suffered other substation thefts in the locality, the affted substation only had two fairly small padlocks on the door.

They have maintained their stance so far. But by the same token, I think they probably hadn't made enough effort to protect the thief ;-)
 Hard to feel much sympathy - R.P.
I was in school with a lad who suffered bad burns in a sub-station - don't know the full facts but rumour has it he was "helping" his dad liberate cables at the time, he was under ten when it happened - I came across him in later life professionally he turned out into a decent bloke as where his children - he was badly scarred for life, not something I'd wish on anyone.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 20:20
 Hard to feel much sympathy - Lygonos

This 'opportunist' barely raises an eyebrow on the sympathometer.
 Hard to feel much sympathy - teabelly
No sympathy from me. Punishment isn't excessive. It's called consequences for being A COMPLETE SELFISH THIEVING MORON! The signs are clear there is a RISK OF DEATH and BURNS if you go into substations. Don't. It's simple. It's like offering sympathy to thieves falling off roofs and breaking their necks while stealing lead or whatever. Tough. Stay off roofs then you won't fall off and break your neck. Darwinism and poetic justice are two great levellers.

Latest Forum Posts