Non-motoring > Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Suppose Replies: 9

Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Suppose
report in Torygraph:
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/8845480/Cabinet-minister-under-fire-after-advertising-for-unpaid-interns.html

"... Tanya De Grunwald said it was “shocking to see a Cabinet minister recruiting so brazenly for multiple unpaid workers”. ..."

Exploitation or good for both sides? What do you think?

Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - RattleandSmoke
The companies running these schemes have to do the giving a lot more than the taking. If it gives young graduates experience then its not a problem. However so many of these schemes don't and the young desperate graduate ends up working for nothing - that is exploitation.

Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - R.P.
CAB use law graduates in much the same way - at least the work is socially functional.
 Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Lygonos
The problem is it excludes those who cannot afford to work for no pay.

Jobs for the old boys' network.

Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Dutchie
Creepy bloke this Jemery Hunt just my opinion.

Let him pay.
 Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Stuu
Strikes me they can all afford to atleast pay minimum wage, it should be outlawed.
 Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Falkirk Bairn
Not quite the same but 14 years ago my son got a job for 3 months just before his final year @ Uni.

They were given free accommodation and an allowance for food - no real pay.

At the end of the 3 months some were offered a job - assuming a 2.1 or better the following year.

He took the job and is still there 13 years later.
 Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Bromptonaut
No hard and fast answer to this one. If they do a few days a month in Rob's CAB then it's good experience for them, particulalry if they're allowed to get out a bit eg to Appeal Tribunals.

Full time in a bank or City law firm unpaid is probably exploitative but it depends what they're doing. Too many probably end up standing by a copier or wandering round the file registry. The ultimate is MP's intern; a stepping stone on the route straight fromUni to politics with no real life in between.
 Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Mapmaker
I think they're a bit naughty, but then they give an employer and an employee to see if they are suited to each other. Lots turn into proper jobs.

As for the OP's article. The LibDems are still advertising for interns, whatever the Deputy PM says about them.

www.libdems.org.uk/jobs_detail.aspx?title=Internship_Scheme&pPK=71c67a62-a49b-4fe8-ad26-d2941f946688

And secondly I didn't realise it was that easy to oust cabinet ministers.

'The MP for South West Surrey has been ousted by careers website GraduateFog, which is running a campaign against unpaid interns. Its founder Tanya De Grunwald said it was “shocking to see a Cabinet minister recruiting so brazenly for multiple unpaid workers”. '

Unpaid Interns - exploitation or not? - Cliff Pope
Real interns, ie those living as guests of Her Majesty in various secure premises around the country, of course do get paid.

And like their namesakes, they also receive invaluable training in lifeskills for planning future jobs.
Latest Forum Posts