Non-motoring > Help needed. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 23

Help needed. - Pat
Most of you know that I am heavily involved with a small charity for lorry drivers and we have a dilemma.

Our webmaster has worked voluntarily for us for over 6 years and asked to leave two years ago. We promised to look for a replacement and didn’t find one but now he has decided that fell walking is far more attractive and has left us.

We are looking for a replacement.

Firstly let me make it clear that this is completely unpaid and on a voluntary basis.

We have two websites, one with forums and one without.
The forums are maintained by myself and another Mod and Dean (webmaster) only gets involved if the software needs updates or there is a technical problem with them.
The websites need ‘stuff’ adding to them as and when it happens and when a sponsor wants a rotating banner, or other advert putting up, but this is where none of us are able to do it.

It can be done completely from the comfort of your own home, involves no travelling or meeting any of us, apart from checking in our private forum daily to check for messages you may not have anything needing doing for up to three months at a time.

On the other hand, if someone wanted to get more involved and redesign or update either/or both of the websites the Trustees would be happy for them to do so.

Dean worked full time as a lorry driver, and it did occur to me that a retired person who had a website background or the ability to do this may be more suitable, and find it something of interest whilst allowing the level of involvement to remain under their own control.

Dean is happy to stay and make the transition from one webmaster to another as easy as possible.

Without these two websites, we are doomed, and as such are desperate for a replacement.

Is there anyone who would like to help us, that has skills going rusty, and a small amount of time to spare?
If so email me at pat@fenlandtraining.co.uk please.

Note for mods: Please feel free to remove this post if you feel it is inappropriate.

Pat
 Help needed. - R.P.
No problems from the mods Pat.
 Help needed. - MrTee43
Sounds like ZERO is just the man for the job :-)
 Help needed. - Dog
>>Sounds like ZERO is just the man for the job :-)<<

+1
 Help needed. - Old Navy
>> >>Sounds like ZERO is just the man for the job :-)<<
>>
>> +1
>>

+2

Sorry Pat
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 13:33
 Help needed. - Iffy
Another candidate is BBD if he's still around, although heaven knows what images would be uploaded.

Help needed. - Pat
I am not having dodgy images on a PROFESSIONAL drivers website:)

Zero?......I've already headhunted him and was turned down:(

Despite our spats on here, we both call a spade a spade and I think we could work together:)

Thanks for allowing the post Mods:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 14:29
 Help needed. - Zero
Oh be fair Pat, tell them why i turned you down you make me sound like a miserable old git.

I dont have the necessary HTML or web page tool skills to do this. Its about the only IT thing I never did, and anyway, i was a consultant, I told clients what was needed, it would cost xxxxx million and then get some far east script kiddie to do (badly) for 5 sheckles!

Pat needs someone who is a webmaster for a club or society web page and who has a little database knowledge

Help needed. - Pat
Yes that's true, and I did honestly get the impression you would have liked to be able to do it for us too:)

BUT, far be from me to tell the world that there is something Zero can't do:)

Pat
 Help needed. - Zero
;P
 Help needed. - Old Navy
Ah, back to abuse, good to see you two talking again. :-)
 Help needed. - Pat
We never stopped....we just did it OFF the forums;)

Pat
 Help needed. - Zero
you just dont know how to woo a girl ON. No class see.

Pat, how about getting in touch with companies who make business software for the transport and distribution sector? or even one of the transport companies who have a web presence ( and most do for EDI and customer tracking etc)

They might do it for a free plug on the web page, forums and elsewhere?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 15:29
 Help needed. - Pat
It's a thought Z, but the problem is we have to remain impartial as a body, and in my experience no-one(firm) does owt for nowt:)

We can't afford to sell our integrity for a website.

Pat
 Help needed. - BobbyG
Pat, as you know I also work for a charity and we try our best to get as much as we can for as little as possible!

Not sure where you are based etc but is there any mileage in maybe approaching a university or college with IT courses and maybe working alongside them - students get real life experience and you get the work done?

Alternatively, many large Corporates allow staff off for Charity work, will sometimes match their wages. For instance, one of the Banks, I Think RBS allow their staff to work one day for a charity, and also pay that Charity up to £95 for the day. Thus one Hospice I know of got 20 staff for the day, almost £2k in cash which they spent on gravel etc and got the bank crowd to do a full landscaping job.

Not sure if any of the big Hauliers would have such a thing though you may be losing the impartiality then?
 Help needed. - Dog
>>We never stopped....we just did it OFF the forums;)<<

No doubt we'll read all about it in The Sun or the Wail pretty soon!

:-D
 Help needed. - CGNorwich
To a true follower that would indeed be heresy so I choose not to believe.
 Help needed. - R.P.
E-mail the webmaster here - he may know someone.
 Help needed. - Pat
Thanks for all the suggestions, and good ones from Bobby too.

I wasn't aware of those opportunities.

I think we may be sorted out:)

I'll let you know later today;)

Let me get this immediate problem sorted out and then I feel another post coming on asking for more advice about the direction we should take and how to raise funds!

Pat

Help needed. - wotspur
I don't know if she could help but why not ask Hilary Devey (she of the shoulder pads) on Dragons Den ,who made her money in the haulage and logistics industry - she'll have someone with the computer skills and maybe willing to sponsor the site - unless it has conflicts with her business. Good luck
 Help needed. - Zero
good lord!

could you see her and pat working together on the same project?

Tickets anyone? make the rumble in the jungle look like handbags at dusk.
 Help needed. - Pat
I do see where you're coming from Z:)

Pat
 Help needed. - Suppose
>> could you see her and pat working together on the same project?
>>

No way.

One runs a business, providing employment for many, but presumably paying the employees as little as she can get away with.

The other runs a charity, and wants someone to work on a website, paying zilch.

There is a growing trend for unemployed kids from rich families to take such unpaid work under the guise of "intern-ships" getting experience for future paid work if it ever materialises.

Exploitation of labour and the rich taking away paid jobs from the poor, at least that is what the unions call it.
 Help needed. - Pat
The Unions can call it what they like but as far as this is concerned, it never has been and never will be a paid job, that was made clear.

>>One runs a business, providing employment for many, but presumably paying the employees as little as she can get away with.<<

I've always found people who run businesses and gain respect along the way, pay a fair wage and treat their employees quite well.

As indeed, she has done.

The reason I wouldn't work 'with' her is that I would end up working 'for' her and as far as I'm concerned voluntary work doesn't work like that.

Pat

Latest Forum Posts